Author Topic: WOJ: Hexenwufl solved  (Read 27811 times)

Offline Elegast

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: WOJ: Hexenwufl solved
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 07:18:21 PM »
The problem is that Jim says:
The pieces are there if you want to put them together,

and the theories we have (Erl, Raith, Lea) are just guess, not logical proofs.
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline Thork

• Conversationalist
  • "I put on my robe and wizard hat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 07:18:40 PM »
I just want to see Santa Clause , with a sledfull or werewolf belts.

Santa leads the Circle. Everyone in the modern world is unutterably Naughty, and it's time for everyone to get their eternal share of coal. Hot, fiery coal.
"Harry Dresden decides this is really all too much work, and wanders off to get himself something to drink. He gets beaten up seventeen times on his way, but saves two orphanages."
----------
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/884/Suvudu-Cage-Match-How-It-REALLY-Went-Down

Offline gborbonus

• Participant
  • World hunger? bah... Fix Stupid, more useful
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »
lol.

Yes, all my theories are not SOLID, as There is no definite way to determine who gave the belts to the FBI.
Trying to fix the world, one moron at a time.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 07:24:33 PM »
sadly , we are misisng much of 2008-2010 as the forum archives go.

leaving us with the memory ( which has been very wrong before) of old peeps like me.

I remember the discussion, vaguely. I do rmeber a lot of folks considering that EK did the belts as a given, for a while. I dotn remeber why.

:'(

While it doesn't have everything lost, it wouldn't shock me if some gems might be found here:
http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=15724

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »
For me the Erkling is the favorite due to FBI building + these quotes:
The talisman provides an anchor for a spirit of bestial rage. Nasty thing from the bad side of the Nevernever.
It was vibrating beneath my fingers, warm to the touch, alive in its own fashion, and full of the power and strength that had been channeled into it. I closed my eyes and let that dark, wild power spill into me, mingle with all the fear and pain and weariness inside of me. It was easy. It was easier than any magic I'd ever done, leaping into me with a sort of hungry eagerness, seeping into me, making pain and fatigue and fear vanish and replacing it with nothing but strength, ferocity.

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 07:47:21 PM »
bestial rage has nothing to do with hunting predators though. a true predator isn't a rage machine. look at a pack of wolves bringing down an opponent. they are methodical. look at Erl when he comes to dresden at the end of DB calm and collected. bestial rage is just a mindless attacker not a predator.

bad side of the NN not fae lands. Erl is a Wyldefae not a monster. he has honor and rules.

those 2 comments make me think of Ick, the super Ghouls, monsters.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 07:52:15 PM »
bestial rage has nothing to do with hunting predators though. a true predator isn't a rage machine. look at a pack of wolves bringing down an opponent. they are methodical. look at Erl when he comes to dresden at the end of DB calm and collected. bestial rage is just a mindless attacker not a predator.

bad side of the NN not fae lands. Erl is a Wyldefae not a monster. he has honor and rules.

A while back, I remember some suggesting that Rafferut might be Black Council.  Just because the Erlking might not be personally involved, doesn't mean we can rule out that the belts came from his court.

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 08:04:38 PM »

Wild Hunt."
"The what?" Thomas said.
"It's a gathering of some of the more predatory beings of Faerie," I said. "They appear in the autumn and winter usually, usually along with storms and rough weather. A gathering of black hounds the size of horses with glowing red eyes, led by a hunter with the horns of a stag on a black horse."
"The spirits of those who hunt," Mab said. "The energy of the hunt. Of excitement, hunger, bloodlust. Betimes, the Erlking will call those spirits into the form of the great black hounds, and ride the winds and forests as the Wild Hunt.

Fairie not NN, you're right. Yet the black hounds...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:10:04 PM by Elegast »

Offline kokolores

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 12:13:43 AM »
For me the Erkling is the favorite due to FBI building + these quotes:

About the Erlking's court. We don't know since when and for how long the court lay on the Nevernever side of the local FBI headquarters. It seems quite apparent that the Sidhe can move their area of influence in relation to reality. The Erlking is drawn to hunts. I would assume he frequently changes the location to follow the hunts. During FM for all we know the Erlking may not have had yet taken residence on the other side of the FBI headquarters.
It may even be the other way around. That Denton and Co didn't get their belts because the Erlking was on the other side but that because Denton and Co had those belts the Erlking became interested in the place and decided to set up shop there.
If there's something strange in the your neighborhood, who you gonna call?
Ghost Harry.
If there's something weird and it don't look good Who ya gonna call?
Ghost Harry.
I ain't afraid of no ghosts I ain't afraid of no ghosts

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 12:29:22 AM »
About the Erlking's court. We don't know since when and for how long the court lay on the Nevernever side of the local FBI headquarters. It seems quite apparent that the Sidhe can move their area of influence in relation to reality. The Erlking is drawn to hunts. I would assume he frequently changes the location to follow the hunts. During FM for all we know the Erlking may not have had yet taken residence on the other side of the FBI headquarters.

I don't think so. I think you're making a mistaken assumption: that the FBI building is the only place leading to the Erkling Court. I believe that all places linked to the Hunt lead to his Court, or close to it.

Offline gborbonus

• Participant
  • World hunger? bah... Fix Stupid, more useful
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 06:58:02 AM »
We've seen that singular locations can have multiple outputs in the real world from the NN, and the same can be said of reality to the NN.

Reality to NN:
I can't remember exactly which book but Cowl could not follow Harry into the NN because he did not THINK like Harry (I believe it's spelled out very close to that). Even though he'd open it up in the exact same location.

NN to Reality:
In Changes when leaving the EK's domain, Harry and Susan went to the Bass Pro Shop.
Trying to fix the world, one moron at a time.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 07:03:45 AM »
I'm of the suspicion that the "different people opening at the same spot get different results" comment was just Harry stating something incorrect, like his statement that Ebenezar is the youngest and weakest of the senior council.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 11:46:49 AM »
The description sounds like the Erlking a bit, but to me it sounds EXACTLY like the wild hunt.  In one of the books, DB IIRC, Dresden offhandedly mentions he's ONE of the beings who can call the hunt.  Wonder who else can?
Laa shay'a waqui'n moutlaq bale kouloun moumkine

If you go to Chichen Itza....You will Die. -Rashid the Vorlon

"The Arctis Tor Rehab Centre
We have ways of making you walk." - shades of grey

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 11:54:03 AM »
Lea sounds like she might be able to, Odin DEFINETLY could in old myths, as well as Freya.

The hunt has also been more recently linked to Dartmoor. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dartmoor
Laa shay'a waqui'n moutlaq bale kouloun moumkine

If you go to Chichen Itza....You will Die. -Rashid the Vorlon

"The Arctis Tor Rehab Centre
We have ways of making you walk." - shades of grey

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »
The description sounds like the Erlking a bit, but to me it sounds EXACTLY like the wild hunt.  In one of the books, DB IIRC, Dresden offhandedly mentions he's ONE of the beings who can call the hunt.  Wonder who else can?

Actually, that's from a WoJ.

Actually, in the Dresden universe, the Wild Hunt can be led by a number of beings--INCLUDING Cern, but not exclusive to him.    The Erlking (who isn't Cern) is a being of Faerie who is in Mab's weight division, if not her equal.  I believe he is identified as the ruler of the goblins--which should not necessarily be equated with Tolkeinesque/Gygaxesque goblins.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:03:36 PM by TheCuriousFan »
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.