Author Topic: Factions - realistic or unrealistic?  (Read 5095 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Factions - realistic or unrealistic?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »
INteresting.  Does that make Humans a domesticated Herd animal?

Nope; in that setting it makes them a tiny and peculiar ethnic minority.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 01:54:43 AM »
I read the first book. I had mixed emotions but thought it was definitely worth reading the second book. It had interesting potential. I forgot. It's been long enough that I need to reread the first book before starting the rest. I will have to do that soon.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 02:51:31 AM »
I read the first book. I had mixed emotions but thought it was definitely worth reading the second book. It had interesting potential. I forgot. It's been long enough that I need to reread the first book before starting the rest. I will have to do that soon.

I kind of lost track of them for a while, and was surprised to discover just a couple of weeks ago that there are now five out.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 08:15:52 AM »
So uh I know I'm kind of necroing a topic and I apologize but I just started reading the first Bloodhound Files book and I am liking it ok, except the main character keeps identifying people as werewolves and then later as Vampires and vice versa... is that some kind of unreliable narrator thing or just a mistake? On the train near the beginning in Japan she identifies the detective as a Japanese Vampire and then a few pages later describes his wolf form. I thought I was confusing characters but I checked and it's definitely there.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 10:17:10 PM »
So uh I know I'm kind of necroing a topic and I apologize but I just started reading the first Bloodhound Files book and I am liking it ok, except the main character keeps identifying people as werewolves and then later as Vampires and vice versa... is that some kind of unreliable narrator thing or just a mistake? On the train near the beginning in Japan she identifies the detective as a Japanese Vampire and then a few pages later describes his wolf form. I thought I was confusing characters but I checked and it's definitely there.

She's unused to the world and really no good at telling vampires from werewolves, and often gets them wrong on first meeting, is how I read that.

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 01:15:17 AM »
Factions could exist, but who says they have to be all made up of one type of supernatural entity.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
  • No matter where you go, there you are
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 01:30:35 AM »
Factions could exist, but who says they have to be all made up of one type of supernatural entity.

Wonderful point, I suppose they could group based on location or common desire/religon/belief or any other ole thing people have created factions around
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side"

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 10:35:48 AM »
This exact point influenced my world-design for Locked Within. The two primary factions, the Council of Chains and the reborn Conclaves, are separated by conflicting ideologies first and foremost.