Author Topic: Taking a closer look at Small Favor (LONG)  (Read 13636 times)

Offline Cyberchihuahua

• Conversationalist
  • Lft. WMC_Cyberchihuahua
    • View Profile
Re: Taking a closer look at Small Favor (LONG)
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 06:03:51 AM »
Just wanted to add on another point to the OP:

Consider that if the original Denarian plan was only to abduct Marcone, there was no reason for them to base themselves on Demonreach.  Any quiet, out-of-the-way place would suffice.  When Mab dangles Archive-shaped bait in front of them, they all of a sudden need to prepare a long-term holding cell for her -- a strong confluence of ley-lines. 

Actually, Mab states she cannot find Marcone, so they were probably using Demnoreach to fuel the veil, latter supported by Harry and Luccio's conversation about the island.
Moo!

DV Cyberchihuahua V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP++ JB- TH+ WG++ CL SW+ BC- MC---- SH [Murphy++]   currently...

No Changes, know peace! Know Changes, no peace!

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 11:05:29 AM »

Actually, Mab states she cannot find Marcone, so they were probably using Demnoreach to fuel the veil, latter supported by Harry and Luccio's conversation about the island.

I recently read SmF, but did not see Mab state anywhere that she cannot find Marcone.  Harry states it, but as far as I can tell, he is jumping to that conclusion.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 12:09:36 PM »
Harry jumping to a conclusion about something a fae or a women said that wasn't necessarily true?  That would never happen. /sarcasm
Laa shay'a waqui'n moutlaq bale kouloun moumkine

If you go to Chichen Itza....You will Die. -Rashid the Vorlon

"The Arctis Tor Rehab Centre
We have ways of making you walk." - shades of grey

Offline lt_murgen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »
A few of notes:

1) Mab is a well known twister of words.  When she is asked who kidnapped Marcone, she replies she does not know.  That could be true if she knew the Denarians were responsible for the kidnapping, but not which individual was precisely responsible for subduing and binding Marcone.

2) Alternatively, she could suspect that some of the Denarian are working for the Black Council and not Big Bad Boss, thus "who" took them is up for debate.

3) It is entirely possible that Mab and Uriel are working far closer than suspected here, more than just a common enemy might allow for.  One could argue that the entire reason Mab chose Harry was to get the archive involved so that Uriel would be given an opportunity to become involved. 

It still doesn't answer how Mab got everything moving before the initial attack, however.  Unless the Denarians were using Ways she could time-delay....
Lol! I allwyas liked the big Bird = trex. It explains why they have t get new kids each season..

Offline romuloht

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 04:09:04 PM »
I would just like to point out that if Titania had succeeded in killing Harry with the first Gruff attack, Ivy wouldn't have been called in.
DV romuloht V1.2 YR2 BK++ !RP JB--- TH+++ WG+++ CL+++ SW BC++ MC+ SH[Molly++, Elaine+, Lash+, Murphy-]

Mark my words, Lash will be back!

Offline asetti

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 04:14:37 PM »
I would just like to point out that if Titania had succeeded in killing Harry with the first Gruff attack, Ivy wouldn't have been called in.

But we have a WoJ that says the first attack was not neccesarily sanctioned by her.  They took their own initiative.
The death rate is the same for us as for anybody ... one person, one death, sooner or later.
Tunnel in the Sky (1955), Captain Helen Walker, Ch. 2

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 04:23:58 PM »
But we have a WoJ that says the first attack was not neccesarily sanctioned by her.  They took their own initiative.

I am not familiar with that WoJ.  Could you please point out where it says they took their own initiative?
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2012, 05:41:06 PM »
I am not familiar with that WoJ.  Could you please point out where it says they took their own initiative?

I vaguely remember such a WOJ. But then we would have two contradictory WOJ...
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline asetti

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 06:00:42 PM »
I will see if I can find it in a bit.
The death rate is the same for us as for anybody ... one person, one death, sooner or later.
Tunnel in the Sky (1955), Captain Helen Walker, Ch. 2

Offline King Ash

• Posty McPostington
  • Its good to be king!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »
A few of notes:

1) Mab is a well known twister of words.  When she is asked who kidnapped Marcone, she replies she does not know.  That could be true if she knew the Denarians were responsible for the kidnapping, but not which individual was precisely responsible for subduing and binding Marcone.

2) Alternatively, she could suspect that some of the Denarian are working for the Black Council and not Big Bad Boss, thus "who" took them is up for debate.

3) It is entirely possible that Mab and Uriel are working far closer than suspected here, more than just a common enemy might allow for.  One could argue that the entire reason Mab chose Harry was to get the archive involved so that Uriel would be given an opportunity to become involved. 

It still doesn't answer how Mab got everything moving before the initial attack, however.  Unless the Denarians were using Ways she could time-delay....

The same way Odin was able to work out what the Red Court was going to do with Maggie. God level intellect, information gathering capabilities and a certain amount of precognition. It's not like building an Ivy level containment spell can be built on the fly like Harry's circle to hold the Erl King. And it is quite possible that the pentagram required setting up.
There is only one God and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death. Not Today!!!! Syrio Forel, First Sword of Braavos.

Offline Agravaine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2012, 02:19:22 AM »
I think that the best place to start on making the theory work on chronology is to look at Demeter.  Winter/Summer/both might be spying on people close to Marcone.  When Demeter spills about the safehouse to the Denarians (or an agent of theirs), Mab/Titania then realize that there is a crisis brewing with the accords.

They can then each name an Emissary to represent Summer/Winter's interests in the crisis.  Titania names Gruffs, who go and attack Harry to apply pressure on Harry into accepting his role as Emissary.  This is necessary, because neither Mab or her servants can't push Harry around due to their earlier contract.  Mab essentially gets Titania to apply that pressure for her.

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
They can then each name an Emissary to represent Summer/Winter's interests in the crisis.  Titania names Gruffs, who go and attack Harry to apply pressure on Harry into accepting his role as Emissary.  This is necessary, because neither Mab or her servants can't push Harry around due to their earlier contract.  Mab essentially gets Titania to apply that pressure for her.

That...is a really good point.  Mab can get around her agreement with Harry by using her enemies instead of her allies.  I wonder how many times she/lea has pulled that.
Laa shay'a waqui'n moutlaq bale kouloun moumkine

If you go to Chichen Itza....You will Die. -Rashid the Vorlon

"The Arctis Tor Rehab Centre
We have ways of making you walk." - shades of grey