Author Topic: Catalogue of Harry's Nightmares (WIP)  (Read 7949 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Catalogue of Harry's Nightmares (WIP)
« on: April 17, 2012, 02:48:11 PM »
A post in the non spoilers section reminded me of how Harry once said that he started getting nightmares shortly before his father died.  This certainly seems to lend a certain significance to Harry's nightmares, and I decided that I wanted to catalogue them, along with mentionings of his father's death.  I already listed pretty much everything mentioning Harry's nightmares up through BR, and I'll be adding more in this topic as I continue to work on it.  If anyone remembers something I missed, including mentions of his father (which I still have to start on) please chime in.  And if you have any coalescing theories on their significance please share them too.

Quote from: FM ch 20
I'm just Subconcious Harry.  I'm your inner voice, bub.  Your intuition, your inistinct, your basic, animal reactions.  I make your dreams, and decide which nightmares to pop in the old psychic VCR at night.

Quote from: GP ch 9
I dreamed.
The nightmare felt familiar, almost comfortable, though it had been a few years since I had gone through it.  [he goes on to describe his godmother torturing him]
[/snip]
The dream changed.  I dreamt of fire.  Someone I had once loved like a father tood in the middle of it, screaming in agony...

Quote from: SK ch 5
There was no way to tell which of them had been victims of the vampires and already dead when the fire got to them and which, if any, had been alive before I came along.  I still have nightmares about it.

Quote from: SK ch 10
I wasn't too tired to dream.  Evidently, my subconcious-we've met, and he's kind of a jerk-had something on his mind, because the dream was a variation on the theme that had taken up most of my sleeping hours since I'd last met Susan.
[Harry goes on to describe a nightmare where Susan seduces him then vamps out on him completing her transformation to become a full Rampire]

Quote from: DM ch 15
I had bad dreams.
They were the usual fare.  Flames devoured someone who screamed my name.  A pretty girl spread her arms, eyes closed, and fell slowly backward as dozens of fine cuts opened all over her skin.  The air became a fine pink spray.  I turned from it, into a kiss with Susan who drew me down and tore out my throat with her teeth.
A woman who seemed familiar but whom I did not recognize shook her head and drew her hand from left to right.  The dream-scenery faded to black in the wake of her motion.  She turned to me, dark eyes intent and said, "You need to rest."

Quote from: DM ch 17
The Red Court vampires don't look like most would think.  They looked like giant, hairless bats with slick, rubbery skin.  They could cover themselves with a flesh mask in order to look human, but I'd seen what was underneath the mask. 
I'd been exposed to it.  Thoroughly.  I still had nightmares.

Quote from: BR ch 41
it was just then that the swirling clouds over the empty triangle coalesced into a vague outline of an inhuman face - one that I recognized from the darkest hour of my past and the nightmares it had inhabited since.[He Who Walks Behind goes on to gloat over how he had returned]

Quote from: DB ch 12
"This is a nice change of pace from my  usual dream," I said.
"How so?"  my father asked.
"Fewer tentacles.  Fewere screams.  Less death."
[/snip]
"So," I said.  "Why haven't I dreamed about you before?"
"Because I wasn't allowed to contact you before," my father said easily.  "Not until others had crossed the line."

Also from that scene:  (I think it's significant considering the end of GS)
Quote from: DB ch 12
"You are the product of your own choices, Harry, and nothing can change that.  Don't let anyone or anything tell you otherwise."

Quote from: DB ch 35
My reaction to the fire had been sheer and naked terror, and even no wmy hand throbbed with the pain of illusory burns.  Ever since the fire I'd had nightmares of more.

Harry's inner monologue dealing with executing Corpsetaker:
Quote from: PG ch 1
I'd killed.  Deliberately, rationally ended another's life.
And it still haunted my dreams at night.

Quote from: PG ch 12
The little demonic diorama of bad vibes painted oer the white tiles of that bathroom ws going to make some appearances in my darker dreams.

Quote from: PG ch 26
I was captured by the Red Court once.  Held in the dark by a crowd of hissing, mosterous shapes.
They did things.
There was nothing I could do about it.
I still had the nightmares to remind me.  Not every nithg, maybe, but often enough.  Often enough.

Quote from: DB ch 27
I heard myself whimpering and had a flashback to any number of nightmares where I could not move swiftly enough to escape the danger.

Quote from: PG ch 47
"I murdered them.  I've never killed, man... not like that.  Cold."  I drove a while more.  "I have nightmares."

Quote from: WN ch 3
It [the morgue] was one of those places that show up a lot in my nightmares.

Quote from: WN ch 24
Elaine sat at the head of the bed with her legs crossed.  My head lay comfortably upon her calves as it had so many times before... as they had in a house I barely remembered except in dreams

Quote from: WN ch 33
After I was through scheming, I dragged my tired self to bed and slept hard but not long.  Too many dreams about all the things that could go wrong.

Quote from: SmF ch 36
I didn't want to wake up.  I was having a dream where I wasn't hurt, and no one was kicking me around.  The walls were white and smooth and clean, lit only by frosty moonlight, and someone with a gentle voice was speaking quietly to me.  But my right hand had broken into a fierce tingling, all pins and needles, and sleep began to retreat.  (Context, Harry is resting after the rumble in the Shedd, not long before Michael breaks Mab's mind wammy on him)

Quote from: TC ch 1
"I spent the first several years of my adult life looking over my shoulder, worrying about this guy [Morgan].  Getting hounded and herassed by him.  I had nightmares for a while, and he was in them."  Truth be told, I still had nightmares occasionally, about being persued by an implacable killer in a grey cloak, holding a wicked cold sword.

Quote from: Changes ch 21
It had been years since I had even thought about Victor Sells or his victims.  Theyhad featured in my nightmares for quite a while until I upgraded.

Quote from: Changes ch 26
I've been abused by Red Court vampires in the past.  I still have nightmares sometimes.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:43:45 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: Catalogue of Harry's Nightmares (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 02:48:49 PM »
Reserved, just in case.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:54:04 PM »
I forget what book it is, but there's some scene where Harry talks about how the dream he's having is not normal, and usually involves more screaming.  I think in Grave Peril when he's talking with his dad.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »
The pleasant dreams with his dad and Lash were in Dead Beat, not Grave Peril.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »
I forget what book it is, but there's some scene where Harry talks about how the dream he's having is not normal, and usually involves more screaming.  I think in Grave Peril when he's talking with his dad.

Yah I think this was in DB, and I believe when he says it is more pleasant his words are "fewer fangs and tentacles" (although this might be a different dream) which I find to be very significant when paired with my memory of the nightmares starting not long before he lost his father, the fact that his father is in this dream, and fangs and tentacles seems to be short hand for lovecraftian nightmares, which seems to be the inspiration for the "Outsiders."  Which is pretty much the crux of why I suspect these nightmares are significant...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:34:03 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Duke Blue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »
Isn't the fairy Queen Mab supposed to be connected with bringing dreams and/or nightmares according to English folklore?

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »
Isn't the fairy Queen Mab supposed to be connected with bringing dreams and/or nightmares according to English folklore?

From wikipedia:

Queen Mab is a fairy referred to in Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet. She later appears in other poetry and literature, and in various guises in drama and cinema. In the play her activity is described in a famous speech by Mercutio written originally in prose and often adapted into iambic pentameter, in which she is described as a miniature creature who drives her chariot into the noses and into the brains of sleeping people to compel them to experience dreams of wish-fulfillment. She would also "plague" "ladies' lips" "with blisters", which is thought a reference to the plague or to herpes simplex. She is also described as a midwife to help sleepers 'give birth' to their dreams.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline airyie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 12:41:32 AM »
Wasn't there a mention in storm front or fool moon.  He has nightmares right before his dad dies... I swear I read that somewhere....

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 12:49:37 AM »
Wasn't there a mention in storm front or fool moon.  He has nightmares right before his dad dies... I swear I read that somewhere....

Me too, I'm sure it's somewhere, and I'll progress through the series then go back and check again.  I didn't look thoroughly through GP because it's got so many instances of "nightmare" due to one of the main villain's having that as it's "name". 
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline airyie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 09:23:26 AM »
^I ctrl-F -ed through SF,FM,GP, and SK already. (nightmare, dream) Didn't seem to find it... Confused cus I could have sworn it was there... Might also want to ctrl-F "bad" and "started"....

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »
^I ctrl-F -ed through SF,FM,GP, and SK already. (nightmare, dream) Didn't seem to find it... Confused cus I could have sworn it was there... Might also want to ctrl-F "bad" and "started"....

I use my nook.  Unfortunately the nook for PC software is rather unstable on my puter, and actually has less functionality than on the nook itself or I'd try that too.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline uncanny

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
Slightly OT, but this made me remember a question I had
"Fewer tentacles.  Fewere screams.  Less death."
[/snip]
"So," I said.  "Why haven't I dreamed about you before?"
"Because I wasn't allowed to contact you before," my father said easily.
Is someone stopping Harry from being contacted by his father on purpose, or is it just as-it-happens?

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 02:55:18 PM »
Slightly OT, but this made me remember a question I hadIs someone stopping Harry from being contacted by his father on purpose, or is it just as-it-happens?

There seemed to be very close parallels between this and the restriction angels live with when it comes to interacting with mortals.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Mr. Kemp

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 09:25:34 PM »
I don't know about his nightmares having prophetic significance; they seem to be more of the trauma-induced variety.

What's really bad is that you only listed the stuff through Proven Guilty, before things get even worse for Harry. He once described himself in Small Favor has looking like he never gets enough sleep - the constant nightmares have to be the main factor in that. I definitely think he has some form of PTSD.
My conspiracy theories:
1. The Black Council is Real.
2. Arthur Langtry is an amoral, power-hungry politician.
3. Cowl & Kumori haven't been introduced without their hoods yet.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »
I wonder if this thread needs updating to cover the last 3 books. Nightmares come from unconscious Harry, right.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?