Author Topic: Help on Cold Iron Effects and Damage  (Read 1089 times)

Offline RP21

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Help on Cold Iron Effects and Damage
« on: April 13, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »
Hey guys I just thought of an idea where my character uses cold iron pellets in shotgun shells, but there's no description in the book on how the rules handle the effects of the iron pellets embedded on a fae. I only found a description where cold iron burns them and affects both body and spirit like poison. But will the fae still be able to attack? while burning inside? Please help.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Help on Cold Iron Effects and Damage
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »
Unless compelled, the only effect a Fae suffers from contact with iron is that stress and consequenes incurred as a result of that iron bypass their Toughness powers.
If compelled, the only effects the Fae suffers are spelled out in the compel, and are likely significantly influenced by the aspect serving as the source of that compel (with particular note to remember that consequences are chosen by the defender, not the attacker, so one cannot guarantee that firing iron shot at a fae will inflict consequences that even mention that iron).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
You could also invoke the Fae's aspect for a +2 when attacking with iron (at the cost of a Fate point).

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:40:36 PM »
Cold Iron is a bit of a misnomer.  It's a poetic term rather than anything you'll find in metallurgy.  See http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/cold-iron/ for the Kipling poem Cold Iron - or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvHh9KV3dCM for a musical version.

When it comes to the game, the minimum iron content of steel is subject to debate - but if you're looking for actual iron weapons they are inferior to ones made of modern steel.  If you have an iron sword and your opponent has a steel one there's a good chance that your weapon will break.  Personally I'd give iron swords an aspect to reflect it - something like "Brittle Metal".

Iron in shotgun is fine.  Iron bullets in a standard gun - not so good.  The modern bullet expands as it is fired and iron bullets aren't good at that...

A while ago I stumbled on an article about making silver bullets and the BHN of various materials were compared.  Lead bullets have a BHN of 5 - 22.  Pure silver is close enough to that number to be used, but silver alloy from coins and jewelery has a much higher number - 125 or higher - making it useless for casting bullets.  Iron starts at 100 and goes up from there - meaning that it is likely to jam when fired.  Even if it doesn't jam the passages of the first bullet is going to ruin the gun's barrel.  Not to say that a custom gun couldn't be constructed, but it would be much easier to make iron tipped bullets.

Richard