Author Topic: When did people start writting?  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
Re: When did people start writting?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 08:12:17 AM »
Yeah, we go through spells like that.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 08:19:37 AM »
lol (night snow)  ;D

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 08:13:12 AM »
I started telling stories at campfires. My professional writing started six years ago, my wife and an editor mouse trapped me at the 06 world con in Anaheim, CA. I escaped the room party committed to two articles and a short story. Since then we have gone from E-magazine shorts to a serialized four part novella, to shopping around novels. It is like pumping water, you just have to keep moving the crank.

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 08:28:25 AM »
well your having more luck then me then i have yet to actualy get anything published oh well maybe i can actualy take that line of thought siresly in the summer

good luck

CWG

Offline Scared of Demons

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »
Hey all, I'm fairly new here but I came across this section of the forums as I breezed my way through. I figured this'll be a good a place as any to do some form of an introduction. Anyway, I started writing 3 years ago to relieve stress I was undergoing at my college. It helped a lot! Since I've started writing I've only finished one short story and started several others (just began a new one a couple days ago in fact). While publishing would be awesome it's not something I particularly desire for fiction to be honest. My real goal in writing is to get an academic paper publish in a journal some day on the late Roman Empire or Early-Mid Medieval Ages. Buuuut I'd be lying if I said I didn't want something published nonetheless if the whole academic thing doesn't work out. In fact my medieval teacher stated he is friends with a fellow who got a doctorate specializing on the Byzantine Empire but found no teaching job, so he wrote Byzantines in space and became a very successful author, go figure.
The Journey to the Answer is more Important than the Answer Itself

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 08:53:35 AM »
2004 I found Baen's Bar. The sneak peak at what the authors were writing was awsome.  Then I stumbled on the slush pile and realized anyone could pen a story and have others look at it.

I've been doodling around ever since.  Now I'm on amazon.  I would probably say go with baen if you're looking for a publisher but I have no great expertise.  They just got on the web first and had the most advanced outlook on ebooks and web presence.

The Deposed King

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »
I've been writing one night a week - four times out of five on a Friday - regularly since mid-1995.  (cenwolf, if that's before you were alive, i shall feel old.  I was halfway through my PhD at that point.)

Since which point I have; written 450,000 words of a Christian-mythos fantasy novel that's probably unsellable because of how pre-9/11 its world is, which I would probably split into a trilogy, and would count as "finished" bar a revision pass on the last 50kwords, but it's hard to make motivate myself to do that; written a lost-colony-world novel; written four-and-a-bit novels* and one short story in wildly different corners and periods of an SF future ranging from the 2030s to 28,000 AD (there are three more planned for that setting, the latest one being three million years in the future); written chunks of two fantasy novels; and most recently written two more space operas** in a New! Shiny! Universe! in which I think I have closely-linked series material for several more novels.

*This includes the book I refer to as The Thing I Should Be Working On.
**This includes the book I refer to as The Thing I Want To Work On.

Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 06:40:51 AM »
The year I was born you started writing
It depends witch month you started
Before the 27 of may abd then yes before I was born hee hee ;D

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
For those of you who might become frustrated, look here http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Reject.html to see what an editor once wrote concerning a manuscript submitted by Ursula K. Le Guin. The manuscript? The Left Hand of Darkness which went on to win both Hugo and Nebula awards.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:05:26 PM by R. S. Leergaard »
Dance on, md

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 02:13:12 PM »
For myself, I started writing seriously (though not seriously, most of my stories are light fantasy) in 2004. I've got around a dozen or so short stories, one NaNoWriMo attempt, one set of stories submitted, but not yet accepted, at Kindle, and one semi-serious wip (currently standing at around 40,000 - 50,000 words, I haven't done a word count lately).  :D
Dance on, md

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 05:22:14 PM »
wow well done RSL
yeah i am not yet published and still editting the drafts and writing the other progects
but there is time after all i am not yet 17  ;D

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 06:07:55 PM »
I've been writing one night a week - four times out of five on a Friday - regularly since mid-1995.  (cenwolf, if that's before you were alive, i shall feel old.  I was halfway through my PhD at that point.)

Since which point I have; written 450,000 words of a Christian-mythos fantasy novel that's probably unsellable because of how pre-9/11 its world is, which I would probably split into a trilogy, and would count as "finished" bar a revision pass on the last 50kwords, but it's hard to make motivate myself to do that; written a lost-colony-world novel; written four-and-a-bit novels* and one short story in wildly different corners and periods of an SF future ranging from the 2030s to 28,000 AD (there are three more planned for that setting, the latest one being three million years in the future); written chunks of two fantasy novels; and most recently written two more space operas** in a New! Shiny! Universe! in which I think I have closely-linked series material for several more novels.

*This includes the book I refer to as The Thing I Should Be Working On.
**This includes the book I refer to as The Thing I Want To Work On.

Pretty amazing Neuovore.  I am envious.  I would say you are the 'man'.  Except for the puzzling gender neutral stance you were trying to cultivate.

Regardless, that's a lot of product and something for others to look up to and strive for.  Keep up that great work.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 06:10:39 PM »
yep The Deposed King is right i am sertenly inprest

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 06:59:16 PM »
Pretty amazing Neuovore.  I am envious.  I would say you are the 'man'.  Except for the puzzling gender neutral stance you were trying to cultivate.

I hope it's not that puzzling; in an ideal world, my physical gender would be relevant only to medical people with whom I'm professionally interacting, as such of my sweeties as have a preference in the matter.  And I am a firm believer in working as if one lives in the early days of a better nation.

Regardless, that's a lot of product and something for others to look up to and strive for.  Keep up that great work.

Thank you kindly; I intend to.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.