Author Topic: Dark influences on Harry  (Read 16710 times)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dark influences on Harry
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »
I think the trials are mostly a formality because the Warden's testimony is so absolute, but they are still a formality. If a Warden wants to kill a warlock he can say whatever he needs to to be able to do it.

I believe that there is supposed to be a trial, but that when a Warden says "The Warlock was killed while resisting arrest" everyone just nods and called it a clean shot.

Richard

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »
I believe that there is supposed to be a trial, but that when a Warden says "The Warlock was killed while resisting arrest" everyone just nods and called it a clean shot.

Richard

Yes, this is precisely what I had intended to convey... errr... what he said.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2012, 04:55:36 PM »
I think there's mention in the text, that when Harry pulled out the barbed wire spell (Grave Peril) it tainted him as well.

In case you want to add this.

I'll add that one later, I'm working on adding stuff to the nightmare reference atm, but I think that might be a great one for this :)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline HistoryDave

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2012, 04:08:32 AM »
  The dark influences have been a double edged sword.  It is a sword that harry has walked the edge of and on more than one accasion he has overbalanced into the darkness.  His dance on the razor's edge has made him strong.  Strong enough to resist incredible temptations. 

He has drifted into red light saber territory, as detailed in the original post and on other instances.  He has also resisted temptation to grasp power more extensively and more consistently than most if not all mortals.  I do not think the Harry Dresden of Storm Front could have resisted the calls of Laschiel in DB and certainly not
(click to show/hide)

There is evidence Harry has been groomed as a weapon, and some of this grooming has made him darker and "stained".  It has also forged him like a sword.  A magical sword with a high ego, able to assert his own will and defy anyone who would subvert that will.  Harry's story is the balancing act between the light and the dark.  The fate of the world hangs in the balance.
What is the skid pad rating and 0-60 time on a zombie t-Rex?

wizard nelson

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2012, 01:57:51 AM »
maybe this was brought up alreadt but did anyone else notice

(click to show/hide)

Offline HistoryDave

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2012, 02:36:50 AM »
maybe this was brought up alreadt but did anyone else notice

(click to show/hide)

Imagine Lea responding to Harry after his encounter with HWWB and saying to herself.  "What a wonderful weapon the enemy is crafting, let us use it against them."  This may shed a new light on why Maggie had Lea pledged to be Harry's Fairy-God-Mother.  Then the enemy corrupts Lea, and Mab steps into Lea's role while she purges the the influence of Nemesis from Lea.  Makes a person wonder.
What is the skid pad rating and 0-60 time on a zombie t-Rex?

wizard nelson

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2012, 02:49:44 AM »
well lea was already his godmother but i had this theory..
(click to show/hide)

Offline Blagaah

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2012, 06:28:29 PM »
I think that's just the necromancy thing.  Enthrallment doesn't specify a mortal or a human, and Harry explicitly accuses Victor of breaking it in the 1st book for having summoned and bound the trenchcoatted toad demon. (Morgan also accuses Harry of the same, claiming that it is against the 4th law)
I think he also reiterates the point in book 1, book 4, and book 10, saying how careful he is to imbue the words he uses to call Toot with as little will as possible to avoid breaking the law.

Calling something (via summoning, etc) is fine, as the creature is not forced to do anything.  The summoning typically will peek the curiosity of the being you call.  As long as you bargain with it, instead of force it to act, there is no violation.  As for Harry binding Kravos' ghost he isn't enthralling the being, and he isn't dominating it.  He is altering the metaphysical reasoning behind its existence.  The Nightmare, like all ghosts, has a Purpose for existing, as Harry explains later in the book.  What Harry does to Kravos is redirect that purpose from EVERYONE that took him down to ONLY HARRY.  Kravos is still free to do as he wants (as far as ghosts are able) and would be perfectly fine committing violence against anything in his way, but will fixate on Harry, at least until Harry is dead.  It's the spiritual equivalent of Harry running ahead of his gang with a target on his back.

wizard nelson

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2012, 06:00:06 AM »
had an awesome  8) brain fart about what all these evil things trying to influence harry has actually done for him, listen
pphht!
its actually a great point, the more exposure harry has to resisting outside influences, the better able to reign in his own natural ones he's gotten.