Author Topic: Creativelly dead inside  (Read 7983 times)

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Creativelly dead inside
« on: May 09, 2007, 08:39:16 AM »
Do you guys get that feeling? I'm getting it again. For about a month now everytime I try to write it's like there's nothing there, and any thing I try to force just comes out awful. And the simple act of trying to write something requires me to nap.

I hate these periods.

Any suggestions on working past it?

Offline pathele

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Creativelly dead inside
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 12:49:30 PM »
When I feel like my creative well spring has dried up, I try to do something that is creative in a different way. For me it could be anything from cooking something new to drawing to rpgs. It just has to get me being creative in some way. Before I know it, things are better with my writing.

good luck
-paul

Rashad 117

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:16:05 AM »
Ack! I know what you mean. When that happens to me what I usually do is look outside of myself to other things that I may see in daily life. A scene taking place in nature or the life experiences of people that I know for instance. In my experience a lot of being really creative comes from what you see in life and taking what you see and modifying it in some way to fit your story. So, I guess when in doubt just look around and see what ideas pop up from what you see or maybe hear. Or, sometimes just start writing and see where it takes you. Often times just writing even when you don't know what exactly to write gets the creative juices flowing. Oh, and relax. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 05:45:06 PM »
Is it bad that this topic inspired me? 

Winter has come again
The wind has swept the leaves away
A clean stale for spring

But I usually find that when I get the "words on paper" moods, I either refill my creative tank with reading or listen to music.  I also try to write something, anything everyday (something that is not the main project).  It usually ends up as little poems or RPG character short stories. 

Offline Guardian 452

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 09:10:17 PM »
And the simple act of trying to write something requires me to nap.

I may be overreacting here, but I have to speak up on this.

I deal with depression issues in a big way.  For the most part I can keep them under control, but every so often I'm hit with something that causes it to flare up.  In this case it was a death in the family just shy of 2 months ago (see the "Cancer Stories" thread on the Anything Goes board).  If people have ever noticed me disappearing for a short time, it's me dealing with depression.

So why am I bringing this up now?  Well, your statement there pretty much sums up the beginning of an "attack" (for lack of a better word).  In my case it's really the simple act of trying to do anything that requires me to nap.  Now I'm not too worried...I have help for it so I get through it.  However, seeing that statement sent up a red flag.

So I'm asking, have you ever considered that it might be depression?  As I said, I could be overreacting in a big way, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to bring this up.  Is the problem your writing or is there other stuff bringing it on?

Sorry if this seems way off base, but I figured it couldn't hurt to throw it out there.

Keith

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 09:51:50 PM »
That may not actually be that far off base. I have some occasional trouble with depression myself. It doesn't really feel like depresion though.

Sorry to hear about the death in your familly.

Offline Nyte

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 02:10:36 AM »
Hey, in order to be creatively dead, you had to once be creatively alive -- which is more that A LOT of people can say. 

Don't beat yourself up. 
"If you can't find the needle in the haystack, burn the haystack."

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 02:13:20 AM »
 ;D Thanks Nyte, that made me grin. Now I need to reanimate my creative corpse. Or would wardens come and behead me for necromancy?

Offline Nyte

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 02:20:52 AM »
;D Thanks Nyte, that made me grin. Now I need to reanimate my creative corpse. Or would wardens come and behead me for necromancy?

Hrmm, tough call....

I say reanimate and run like hell!
"If you can't find the needle in the haystack, burn the haystack."

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 05:32:59 AM »
Think of it more like a Phoenix.  It will rise again!   ;D

Offline Buttersfly

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 11:54:09 AM »
Do you guys get that feeling? I'm getting it again. For about a month now everytime I try to write it's like there's nothing there, and any thing I try to force just comes out awful. And the simple act of trying to write something requires me to nap.

I hate these periods.

Any suggestions on working past it?

Have you ever tried Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way?  It's for writers as much as any other creative type--her seminars are for writers--and is amazingly good at freeing things up and re-stocking the brain.  A creative writing MFA friend put me onto it and it worked--not only on writing but as a general mental-tidy as well.  Gave it to all my friends who were still writing dissertations.  Ardently recommended.
"But writing is different because you do not have to learn or practise it and it is more tempermental because practising seems to take all the temperment out of me."  --Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 12:29:09 AM »
Sounds like your "Sense of Wonder" dries up. When that happens, I usually step away from the creating, and watch a favorite movie, read a book, or even do chores.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 05:16:35 AM »
Have you ever tried Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way?  It's for writers as much as any other creative type--her seminars are for writers--and is amazingly good at freeing things up and re-stocking the brain.  A creative writing MFA friend put me onto it and it worked--not only on writing but as a general mental-tidy as well.  Gave it to all my friends who were still writing dissertations.  Ardently recommended.

Is that a book, and do you have any more on it (Publisher, ISBN #, ect)

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 06:11:37 AM »

For the past two years I've gotten into the habit of outputting 2000 words a day, every day. At this point, it's the exact same thing as getting through a day of work when you don't really feel like being there. A slog, a pain -- but you just do it.

The brain is a funny thing. If it knows that the 2000 must be typed into existence regardless even if they are complete crap that won't do anything but fill up HD space, and is harness broken to this fact, nine times out of ten it will relent and allow decent work.  ;D
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale

Offline pathele

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 03:23:49 PM »
Is that a book, and do you have any more on it (Publisher, ISBN #, ect)

Craig
I found it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Way-Julia-Cameron/dp/1585421472/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-4156638-8601658?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179242580&sr=1-3

ISBN-10: 1585421464
ISBN-13: 978-1585421466

-paul