Author Topic: Vampire help needed  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Vampire help needed
« on: May 25, 2007, 07:38:58 PM »
No, not help becoming a vampire: I have no interest in becoming a blood-sucking wierdo. :: laughs::

I'm working on a short story/short novel dealing with a woman's crisis of faith after she gets forcibly turned by a vampire, but I'm stuck as to what sort of vampire it should be? The Anne Rice-esque emo blood-sucker doesn't work for me, nor does the over-sexed Laurell K. Hamilton variety, and I'm not sure as if I want to go the opposite way and incorporate something like Max Schreck in F.W. Murnau's "Nosferatu". I'm trying to bring something new and original to the table here, and I'm afraid I'm coming up with a blank open document on my screen at the moment. Anyone got any suggestions?

Offline redneckwitch18

• Conversationalist
  • Och Aye!
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 07:50:37 PM »
I have the same problem with my story. However, I just made my a stronger version of an everday female. She doesn't know she is as attractive as everyone says. She moves more gracefully and has to act because she doesn't feel emotions as strongly as she used to. Super powers are kinda a must, but if she is struggling with her religious aspects, the thirst must be a main component in her character. Ann Rice's vamps don't have emotion. If she tries to reconnect with her religion and fails, it also tells the reader about her indirectly.

Am I rambling or lecturing? If So, I apologize whole- heartedly ::)
Brilliance is fleeting, but stupid lasts a while.

http://mepreport.com/quiz/ttp.htm  
I'm a tartan podcast. lol

Read new posts when I remember!
http://novelist10.wordpress.com/

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 10:52:45 PM »
Nah, not rambling or lecturing at all: It kind of gave me a few ideas to nibble on, actually. We'll see what comes of it.

Super powers are kinda a must, but if she is struggling with her religious aspects, the thirst must be a main component in her character. Ann Rice's vamps don't have emotion. If she tries to reconnect with her religion and fails, it also tells the reader about her indirectly.

A few hopefully *not* too spoilery details: my main character has somewhat recently converted (a year or two) to being a Jehovah's Witness, and since her faith -- which she loves dearly, since it's given her a sense of purpose and community -- does not allow blood transfusions or anything like it, she has to decide between following the tenets of her faith to the letter and wind up dying, or adjusting her beliefs to fit her new state of being and risk being shunned by others in her faith community. The idea came to me when I was watching a short PBS documentary on Jehovah's Witnesses, much of which dealt with the case of a young man who needed a liver transplant and the challenges he was facing because of it, since the surgery would require him to have a transfusion... and I'd recently been watching episodes of the anime "Hellsing", thus my strange brain came up with the question, "What would someone who's Jehovah's Witness do if they got turned by a vampire?" It was a loopy idea at first, but as I started quiddling with it, the story started to take shape and acquire a much more serious note.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 01:44:54 AM by Morraeon »

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 02:22:57 AM »
A few hopefully *not* too spoilery details: my main character has somewhat recently converted (a year or two) to being a Jehovah's Witness, and since her faith -- which she loves dearly, since it's given her a sense of purpose and community -- does not allow blood transfusions or anything like it, she has to decide between following the tenets of her faith to the letter and wind up dying, or adjusting her beliefs to fit her new state of being and risk being shunned by others in her faith community. The idea came to me when I was watching a short PBS documentary on Jehovah's Witnesses, much of which dealt with the case of a young man who needed a liver transplant and the challenges he was facing because of it, since the surgery would require him to have a transfusion... and I'd recently been watching episodes of the anime "Hellsing", thus my strange brain came up with the question, "What would someone who's Jehovah's Witness do if they got turned by a vampire?" It was a loopy idea at first, but as I started quiddling with it, the story started to take shape and acquire a much more serious note.
I'm not 100% certain, but I don't believe that the JWs admit the existence of anything like a vampire. If I were a recent convert, and became a vampire, and found out they'd been lying to me in their beliefs, I might be angry enough to start making a steady diet of Jehovah's Witnesses and doing a little "converting" of my own.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 03:15:48 AM »

The most well known aspect of the JW's is their rather intense devotion to evangelism and conversion. Your protag could, in misplaced zeal, decide to use her seductive and hypnotic powers to carry on such work. Of course, the church might not be too happy with the new converts and their literal and rather bloody interpretation of 'living forever in a paradise on Earth'.   ;D This could lead to some fun as the JW's -- one of the more polite and mannered of sects -- have to become vampire slayers. I could even see them soliciting advice from older and more 'dark fiend' knowledgable Christians such as Catholics.
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale

JamiSings

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 04:12:03 AM »
There's always the angle of "using her power to serve God/the community" but I should warn you it's been done. Short story I read about a Jewish boy who gets turned into a vampire (Jewish religion forbids the consumtion of blood) and a Rabbi finds a way for the guy to get around the rules while basically serving as a vampire version of the Golem. (There's even the Blood Libel plot in the story that the kid thwarts.)

I only warn you cause I wrote my own take on Beauty & The Beast and got accused of plagerizing some writer I never even heard of let alone read her stuff - and I work at a library.

Seems to me her big thing would be "Can God possibly love me anymore if I don't have a soul" and trying to prove to herself she does have a soul, and therefore worthy of God's uncondictional love.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 03:00:52 PM »
Well, there ya go, three separate and original plot possibilities to inspire you.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 10:01:36 PM »
Hee, thanks for all the suggestions, folks: I'm poking away at the story as of now and I'm planning on setting up a working journal on LiveJournal for some help beta-reading it.

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 10:11:18 PM »
Take the path that blood isn't the only sustenance that the vampire needs, or that human blood is the only type that will do. Sunlight saps them of strength, but doesn't kill them, and mirrors show their true faces.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.