Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Master List  (Read 83280 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Master List
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 01:21:48 AM »
Yes, I made effect 1 because the rules only have 2 options: Only the creator can use the item, or the item can be used by anyone for the cost of 1 strength.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. As I recall, the question is simply never addressed.

Here's an example of Effect 2 : Instead of an item that has 2 separate effects , such as veiling its user(1 use per session, 1 slot) and causing a smoky cloud (Block vs Perception, 3 uses, 2 slots, the second slot was used to increase the uses per session), A Superior Crafter can compress those 2 effects, so that they have a 4 use pool for both of them.

Yes, I understand. I just worry that there's no reason not to slap every available effect onto a single item. I think I'll just say that only two items can be compressed together.

To extend this example to Effect 3, Say the Crafter has Lore 5. The Veil or the Cloud would have a strength of 5. But in order for a Lore 3 user to maintain the item, the Crafter can reduce the number of uses per session to 2.

In regards to the Warden Swords, My power would allow for both the effects to be compressed into a 6 use pool, reduced by 3 uses to allow for most Wardens to be able to maintain the item. Lore 3 sounds like a good level for a Warden to be trained to before they are trusted with a Sword...

There are two small problems with this.

The first is that the effects of a Warden Sword are totally unaffected by the user's Lore.

The second is that Lore is not the only relevant value for Enchanted Items. Specializations and foci matter plenty. Ignoring them won't lead anywhere good.

Maybe we should make the creation of a lendable item into something that requires a thaumaturgical ritual at a difficulty set by the GM based on the item's power.

Going to post my takes on those powers now. Please tell me what you think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 01:44:17 AM »
SUPERIOR BIOMANCY [-2]
Description: A master wizard can refine his skills in a particular area so fully that his abilities are qualitatively different from those of a normal mage. While normal specialization simply makes one faster and stronger and more effective, this level of focus provides entirely new capabilities. Listens-to-Wind is so practiced at Biomancy that he more than held his own against a Naagloshii in a shapeshifting combat in the infamous “Turn Coat” Case File.
Musts: You must have both Evocation and Thaumaturgy with at least some specialization in Biomancy in order to take this power.
Sponsor: This magic is self-sponsored.
Agenda: As self-sponsored magic, this power lacks an agenda.
Evocation: Superior Biomancy does not provide any form of Evocation.
Thaumaturgy: Superior Biomancy does not provide any form of Thaumaturgy.
Evothaum: Superior Biomancy allows its user to cast Biomancy rituals with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Superior Biomancy allows its user to alter their own physical form slightly, which lets them use Lore in place of Deceit for disguise attempts. It also allows said user to use Lore in place of Scholarship for medical treatment owing to the detailed knowledge of the human body that it requires.
Note: Because this power requires Evocation and Thaumaturgy, it grants no focus slots and does not have its cost reduced when the user already has spellcasting powers.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 02:02:49 AM »
Not really satisfied with either of these. Please help, and if something is bad you don't have to be polite about it.

SUPERIOR CRAFTING [-2]
Description: A master wizard can refine her skills in a particular area so fully that her abilities are qualitatively different from those of a normal mage. While normal specialization simply makes one faster and stronger and more effective, this level of focus provides entirely new capabilities. Warden Anastasia Luccio in her prime (and original body) was so talented at Crafting that she created the Warden Sword, the most useful tool against warlocks the White Council has ever used.
Musts: You must have both Evocation and Thaumaturgy with at least some specialization in Crafting in order to take this power.
Evocation: Superior Crafting does not provide any form of Evocation.
Thaumaturgy: Superior Crafting does not provide any form of Thaumaturgy.
Evothaum: Superior Crafting does not grant the ability to use Thaumaturgy with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: A character with Superior Crafting need not reduce the power of enchanted items that they make in order to make them usable by someone else. Furthermore, they may combine two Enchanted Item slots to create a single item or potion with two effects. Such an item or potion has twice the number of uses that a normal item would have, and may be enhanced with extra Enchanted Item slots normally. Its uses can be spent on either effect. Finally, a character with Superior Crafting may cast rituals to create special Enchanted Items. Said rituals use Crafting strength bonuses as complexity bonuses and Crafting frequency bonuses as control bonuses. Items created this way may be designed for any character, may be sustained with the Enchanted Item slots of the character receiving them, and need not have traits equal to those implied by the recipient's abilities. The complexities of these rituals are generally roughly equal to three times the item's strength plus twice its number of uses minus four for every item slot they will take up, but the GM is encouraged to meddle with this formula. If the recipient is unusually good or bad at Crafting, that might warrant a decreased or increased complexity, respectively.
Note: Because this power requires Evocation and Thaumaturgy, it grants no focus slots and does not have its cost reduced when the user already has spellcasting powers.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2012, 04:12:59 PM »
*shrug* I tried. It's not the best, but I'll keep thinking on it.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 05:19:31 AM »
I appreciate it.

Man, this Superior Crafting thing is a pain. I'm tempted to forget about the item lending, but I'd really like to make the Warden Swords work within the game's rules.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »
Alright, everyone. New list update. Adding these to the start of the thread and to the text document.

If you see a problem, say so.

My thanks to everyone who came up with or helped with the development of one of these.

URBAN MAGIC [-4]
Description: Cities are living, growing things. Power runs through cities like blood and a Urban Magician has the ability to tap into that power.
Sponsor: Urban Magic is sponsored by cities, and by the rituals that make them work.
Agenda: Cities want to survive, to grow, and to continue their rituals. But they do not truly have agendas, since they don't exactly have minds.
Evocation: Urban evocations generally involve electricity, fire, or smoke. They tend to make use of whatever urban elements are nearby.
Thaumaturgy: Urban rituals allow their caster to scry through the veins of the city, to summon urban beings, and to control the city's infrastructure.
Evothaum: Urban Magic allows its user to cast rituals that make use of the city's mechanical infrastructure with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Urban Magicians have a preternatural awareness of their cities' "experiences". This allows an Urban Magician to use their Lore skill to detect changes to the physical, social, legal, or magical state of their city. Furthermore, Urban Magicians never accidentally hex the technological infrastructure of their cities.

SUPERIOR DIVINATION [-2]
Description: A master wizard can refine her skills in a particular area so fully that her abilities are qualitatively different from those of a normal mage. While normal specialization simply makes one faster and stronger and more effective, this level of focus provides entirely new capabilities. Martha Liberty, the reputed Spymaster of the High Council, is so practiced at Divination that Scrying a needle in a haystack is no harder than finding Waldo for her.
Musts: You must have both Evocation and Thaumaturgy with at least some specialization in Divination in order to take this power.
Evocation: Superior Divination does not provide any form of Evocation.
Thaumaturgy: Superior Divination does not provide any form of Thaumaturgy.
Evothaum: Superior Divination allows its user to cast Divination rituals with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Superior Divination expands the line-of-sight restrictions of Evocation, permitting its user to cast spells on targets that she sees through scrying or through other forms of divination. Spells targeted this way may not have a power greater than half the strength of the scrying effect that they are targeted through.

TRANSCENDENT SWORDSMANSHIP [-4]
Description: Legends speak of heroes who fought dragons with nothing but sword and mail. These heroes fought creatures with nearly endless power and some of them actually won. Transcendent Swordsmanship channels the power of the heroes of old and uses it to do the impossible with swords.
Sponsor: Transcendent Swordsmanship is sponsored by the spirits, or perhaps the legends, of long-dead heroes.
Agenda: Transcendent Swordsmanship drives its user to destroy evil and to prove his own worth as a hero.
Evocation: Evocations cast with Transcendent Swordsmanship often resemble air or metal evocations, and they almost always emulate sword techniques.
Thaumaturgy: Transcendent Swordsmanship allows its user to cast rituals that tap into the legends of dead heroes, as well as rituals that summon spiritual warriors.
Evothaum: Transcendent Swordsmanship does not grant the ability to use Thaumaturgy with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: A character with Transcendent Swordsmanship replaces his Conviction skill with his Might skill and his Discipline skill with his Weapons skill for the purposes of spellcasting.
Note: Foci made to boost Transcendent Swordsmanship spells are almost always swords. That being said, there's nothing stopping Transcendent Swordsmanship from becoming Transcendent Axemanship in the hands of a specific character.

SUPERIOR BIOMANCY [-2]
Description: A master wizard can refine his skills in a particular area so fully that his abilities are qualitatively different from those of a normal mage. While normal specialization simply makes one faster and stronger and more effective, this level of focus provides entirely new capabilities. Listens-to-Wind is so practiced at Biomancy that he more than held his own against a Naagloshii in a shapeshifting combat in the infamous “Turn Coat” Case File.
Musts: You must have both Evocation and Thaumaturgy with at least some specialization in Biomancy in order to take this power.
Evocation: Superior Biomancy does not provide any form of Evocation.
Thaumaturgy: Superior Biomancy does not provide any form of Thaumaturgy.
Evothaum: Superior Biomancy allows its user to cast Biomancy rituals with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Superior Biomancy allows its user to alter their own physical form slightly, which lets them use Lore in place of Deceit for disguise attempts. It also allows said user to use Lore in place of Scholarship for medical treatment owing to the detailed knowledge of the human body that it requires.

SUPERIOR CRAFTING [-2]
Description: A master wizard can refine her skills in a particular area so fully that her abilities are qualitatively different from those of a normal mage. While normal specialization simply makes one faster and stronger and more effective, this level of focus provides entirely new capabilities. Warden Anastasia Luccio in her prime (and original body) was so talented at Crafting that she created the Warden Sword, the most useful tool against warlocks the White Council has ever used.
Musts: You must have both Evocation and Thaumaturgy with at least some specialization in Crafting in order to take this power.
Evocation: Superior Crafting does not provide any form of Evocation.
Thaumaturgy: Superior Crafting does not provide any form of Thaumaturgy.
Evothaum: Superior Crafting does not grant the ability to use Thaumaturgy with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: A character with Superior Crafting need not reduce the power of enchanted items that they make in order to make them usable by someone else. Furthermore, they may combine two Enchanted Item slots to create a single item or potion with two effects. Such an item or potion has twice the number of uses that a normal item would have, and may be enhanced with extra Enchanted Item slots normally. Its uses can be spent on either effect. Finally, a character with Superior Crafting may cast rituals to create special Enchanted Items. Said rituals use Crafting strength bonuses as complexity bonuses and Crafting frequency bonuses as control bonuses. Items created this way may be designed for any character, may be sustained with the Enchanted Item slots of the character receiving them, and need not have traits equal to those implied by the recipient's abilities. The complexities of these rituals are generally roughly equal to three times the item's strength plus twice its number of uses minus four for every item slot they will take up, but the GM is encouraged to meddle with this formula. If the recipient is unusually good or bad at Crafting, that might warrant a decreased or increased complexity, respectively.
Note: Because this power requires Evocation and Thaumaturgy, it grants no focus slots and does not have its cost reduced when the user already has spellcasting powers. Also, be careful with this Power. It's not all that well-written and as such is liable to cause problems.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:31:52 PM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 04:10:44 PM »
Superior Crafting looks good--though I might add a stipulation that the intended recipient of the crafted item participate in some way to the ritual creating it. Maybe they add power to it via taking an Extreme Consequence, changing one of their permanent aspects to reflect their ability to wield the item? In the case of the Warden Swords, maybe it had been part of the "graduation" from apprentice to Warden.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:20:46 PM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2012, 05:59:42 AM »
Superior Crafting looks good...

Really?

--though I might add a stipulation that the intended recipient of the crafted item participate in some way to the ritual creating it. Maybe they add power to it via taking an Extreme Consequence, changing one of their permanent aspects to reflect their ability to wield the item? In the case of the Warden Swords, maybe it had been part of the "graduation" from apprentice to Warden.

I don't know if it's reasonable to treat the acquisition of a new item as a disastrous injury.

And while I like the idea of changing an Aspect to suit the item, it takes us even further away from simulation of the Warden Sword.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2012, 12:50:21 PM »
Maybe not a disastrous injury so much as a fundamental change in the recipient's mindset (a mental consequence) as they graduate to full Warden. My thinking was that the intended recipient should have some participation in the ritual (like the item's being attuned to him or something), the Extreme Consequence thing seemed like a decent way to have that participation have some kind of cost to the item beyond the spent enchanted slots.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »
An extreme consequence is a terrible thing to take. That's why it's worth 8 complexity.

Is receiving a new item terrible?

I don't think so.

Also, by the rules and fluff as written, a Sword does not induce any change in the person who receives it. If Luccio wanted to make one for the Merlin, she could and it wouldn't change him at all.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2012, 06:20:22 PM »
Fine. What about stipulating that the recipient has to contribute in some way to the ritual, either in gathering power or through casting?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »
I like the idea.

Does the creation of Warden Swords require the involvement of the prospective Warden? Do we know?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »
As far as I know, nothing's been stated on their creation beyond, "Luccio used to make them, but can't anymore."

Given they only seem to work with the Warden they're given to, though, I think it's a reasonable conclusion.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2012, 05:48:19 AM »
I guess I'll add that, though I'm kinda loath to make the power even longer.

Unless, of course, someone complains.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2012, 09:37:49 PM »
Another update.

Made Superior Crafting involve recipient participation and added a new type of magic.

Thanks to Mr Death and CBIrish for their work.

New magic type:

SANCTION OF THE FERRYMAN [-4]
Description: Acting on behalf of the mythical Ferryman of the Underworld has its privileges, and this power is one of them. Those who wield it are as feared and as implacable as their sponsor.
Sponsor: Charon, the Ferryman of the Underworld.
Agenda: Charon ferries the spirits of the departed to the next world and takes it as a personal affront when they try to avoid him and deny their fate. Graywalkers (as his agents are called) are charged with dispersing ghosts and wraiths, slaying those who feed on the deaths of others and would desecrate the dead such as vampires and necromancers, and ensuring that those who seek to avoid their fate meet their appointed end.  All must pay the ferryman.
Evocation: The Sanction utilizes the powers of Spirit to veil, slip between the world of the living and the dead and to strike at those who defile the dead or defy the fate of all that live.
Thaumaturgy: The Sanction can be used to seek out the Walker's targets, to curse those who have defied Death's design and to enact a variety of effects on spirits, ghosts and other restless deceased.
Evothaum: The Sanction allows the caster to use Ectomancy rituals with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: The Sanction Of The Ferryman grants the Ghost Speaker Power to its users.