Author Topic: Quick and Dirty Star Wars Hack  (Read 6222 times)

Offline ImpishMortal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Ebon Gryphon Games
Re: Quick and Dirty Star Wars Hack
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 06:52:04 PM »
Would it make more to represent Force-users in tiers? We have canon examples of lesser talents or one trick ponies in the Star Wars galaxy, so could it be better to have:

Use the Force (Alter, Control, Sense) for Force adepts/Jedi/Sith
Force Channeling for lesser Force adepts/minor talents with it costing -1 (pick one: Alter, Control, Sense) or -2 (pick two or pick one and gain a specialization)

The Jedi and Sith characters are going to spend a lot of their refresh on stunts and Refinement. Having their template begin at [-4] (adding in the Force Sensitive power) and requiring them to take at least one stunt and/or 1 Refinement does not seem unreasonable to me.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 01:32:10 PM »
I just grabbed Bulldogs at a con this weekend, and I have to say it is a much better base for a Starwars game than Dresden.  The skills are already more "spacey," hi-tech weapons and ships are already statted, and it has a fairly balanced list of alien powers. 

The only real hurdle is inserting the Force.  The game already has a Psychic skill that is largely similar to baseline Force use.  On the one hand I'm tempted to remove it, and create three separate Force skills, Alter, Control, and Sense, then stack the stunts on there.  On the other hand I could just have one Force skill, and three different "trees" of stunts representing the applications of the Force.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 10:57:47 PM »
Yeah I LOVE Bulldogs!.  It is a great game that can do Star Wars very easily.  Or Mass Effect.  The alien creation and rules for equipment are perfect.  But I have been leaning more and more towards using some DFRPG Evocations and such for the Force like was done here or for Biotics/Tech Talents of ME. 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline ImpishMortal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Ebon Gryphon Games
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »
It sounds like I really need to grab that RPG!!

Offline Edrac

• Participant
  • Does he have beer? If yes, will he share with me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2012, 03:11:50 PM »
So this group has had 4 more sessions now and they all seem to be digging the
system.

The following is a quick rundown of the events of the past few sessions. I plan to do a proper writeup of this campaign as it goes, either in a seperate thread or a blog of some sort.

Session 2:
Having signed on as on call privateers/smugglars the party heads back to the spaceport. As they get closer they see a Victory class Star Destroyer in low orbit over the spaceport, blockading all space traffic. They are told to "wait for their signal" before they make their way into the spaceport concorse.

Their "signal" comes as a flight of Y-wings and Z-95 headhgunters launches a volley of missiles at the Victory class Star Destroyer. Panic erupts in the spaceport and it's surrounding cit. The PC's use the panic to make their way towards their landing pad. As they get there they find a team of imperial engineers and officers casing the ship and documenting the contents. By this point the storm that was brewing begins and rain falls in buckets over the landing pad.

The PC's take out the imperials with a little help (the mandalorian player having been compelled to be on planet looking for recruits for his clan). In the confusion making an escape is easy, and they make for deep space.

Session 3:
The PC's make for Nar Shaadda in Hutt Space as a place to lay low for a while.
In the inerum the smuggler had looked over the datapad lifted from the dead officers listing off their cargo. Noticing that they foind the holocrons and documented and transmitted the data to his superiors the PCdecide to hole up for a few weeks.

The Chiss PC decides he wants to try and clear his name for the bombing of a state building on Corellia (part of his backstorey). What better way to do that than collecting your OWN bounty? So he tracks down another Chiss on planet (chiss are VERY rare in the greater galaxy). This particular chiss is on a slave transport making a pitstop before delivering it's slave cargo to the planet below, Nal Hutta (Nar Shaadda is Nal Hutta's moon). This chiss is to be brought to public auction on the planet, but our PC's have other plans. The Chiss PC decides to buy this person from the slaver then elaboratly stage his death, turning in the slave's corpse as his own. The Smuggler takes some Stormtrooper armor he scavanged from the previous session and modifies it to make it look like a bounty hunter's getup.

The transaction goes off and the PC's spend a few days making the body look "convincing" applying the appropriate bruises and scraps (the poor fellow has to be alive for the bruising to happen right...)

After a few days the smuggler dons his Bounty Hunter getup and marches the poor guy out to a crouded walkway, tells him to run and cuts his bonds. The guy runs, not needing to be told twice, and is promptly shot in the back by our Chiss PC sniping from a rooftop. The "Bounty Hunter" then wades through the crowd brandishing his blaster, and making a fuss out of "only getting to collect for dead now".

The body is turned in at the local Bounty Hunter's Guild office, and credits are transferred. Just before session end they get a call from their Chandrillan contact...

More to come.
Cin vhetin
Once a person takes up the armor their past does not matter anymore.
Mandalorian Concept

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2012, 06:02:21 PM »
Yesss, feel the Dark Side make you powerful!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Kiero

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 12:28:27 AM »
Probably late into this thread to flag this, but I did a Legends of Anglerre hack of Star Wars based on Saga Edition a while back.

I really, really dislike the Control/Sense/Alter paradigm that WEG/D6 gave is all those years ago, it's a millstone around the neck of how to think about the Force in roleplaying games.