Author Topic: Forum Code advice and other Forum FAQ  (Read 19479 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Code advice and other Forum FAQ
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2016, 07:40:51 PM »
Quote from: brand spanking new account created specifically to ask this question
Does anyone know what's going on with the next Dresden Files novel?

Pretty much all the public information about Jim's next DF book is contained in my review of it on goodreads
Peace Talks review

I've put just about everything public on the subsequent books and short works in my review of the book 17
Mirror Mirror review

There are a few updates I need to make on that one though.

Note:  That information will be dated eventually.  I'll try to rewrite this post when the next book is released to account for that. -Serack
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Wizardofnelson

• Conversationalist
  • I am the tenth man...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2016, 10:16:54 PM »
As noqueixis stated, when you start a new topic, the browser window you start it in will hang up, but the post new topic will go up on the boards, which is a bug of the SMF code used by the forums.

However, if your new topic has a link in it, it /will/ require a mod to approve it.  This helps prevent exposing our forum members to bots with malicious links.

I've posted a work-around for this issue, but I don't keep it in this topic to add a layer of insulation between it and the botters.  I'll dig it up and PM you with it.
mmm, I posted something in a new thread, no links, but it didn't show up the first time I went back to that section, it appeared like five minutes later. Just wondering cause I'd never seen that happen.
Wizard, noun
Someone who does precise guesswork base on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

All perceiving is also thinking, all reasoning is also intuition, all observation is also invention. - Rudolf Arnheim

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2016, 01:19:34 PM »
mmm, I posted something in a new thread, no links, but it didn't show up the first time I went back to that section, it appeared like five minutes later. Just wondering cause I'd never seen that happen.

Wizardofnelson,

That did happen more than once when I posted. Sometimes the 'hang' is only a minute, sometimes longer.

::) :-X ::)

Yah, unprompted mod action of 5 minutes or less would be an outlier methinks. 
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2017, 07:49:30 PM »
I simply meant board code for linking a members name to profile in a post. I thought I had seen it done on here. Just getting the hang of the basics, like italics, etc.

Ah, ok.  There isn't a button, so here would be the steps I would recommend using.
  • type out or copy/paste the members name (I'd copy/paste yours because I wouldn't want to go through the effort of typing out Harry BC Dresden backwards.
  • Right click on a link to the member's profile (typically found to the left of one of their posts, but there are other places you can find one) and select "copy shortcut" or your browser's equivalent option
  • Select the text of the name from step 1 and hit the "Insert Hyperlink" button which looks like a globe with a page on the bottom right*
  • after the first "url" inserted by step 3, type "=" then paste the link from step 2 (Quickly done by mashing [ctrl]+[v] on your keyboard, but there are other ways to do it, like right clicking and stuff)

*I also frequently manually do step 3. 

When done the resultant code should look like this:

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php?action=profile;u=79774]nedserD C B yrraH[/url]
Past experience is that sometimes when making explanations like this to someone who's interwebs proficiency I'm not familiar with means I can make assumptions about their prior knowledge without knowing it.  This results in the explanation being jiberish to them, so let me know if the above works for you.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 01:30:12 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline nedserD C B yrraH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2017, 10:11:46 PM »
Thanks. I'm not good with coding. But your steps seem clear and replicable.
I'm not a Fanboy, I just Squee a lot.

DV Geek Code v1.2 YR9 FR1 BK++ RP JB++ TH ++ WG+ CL+ SW+(B,T,JM) BC+ MC +++(--) SH (Mu++Mo++El+)

Your total Dresden Files purity rating is 53.1%

All scores:
Supernatural Power:75.7%
Social Skills:45.5%
Armed Combat:6.1%
Unarmed Combat:41.8

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 11:05:14 PM »
I'm a little computer illiterate. I can see how the toolbar works and what the code is by looking at other posts, but I can't use the buttons themselves. It this a pop up issue? browser choice? highlighting any button brings up 'toggle view' which doesn't do anything that I can tell, and right click treats it as a picture to save or share. If this isn't resolvable is there any way someone could use some of these other ones so I can see that code too? I wanted to use the line through the text for effect in a post but couldn't figure it out.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2017, 02:24:24 AM »
Just to be clear: you mean this?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2017, 05:15:28 AM »
Just to be clear: you mean this?
Yep, I do thanks.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2017, 05:20:32 AM »
Well, I see you have it figured out. I never had that problem, they are clickable buttons so perhaps it was a temporal malfunction?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2017, 11:42:14 PM »
Well, I see you have it figured out. I never had that problem, they are clickable buttons so perhaps it was a temporal malfunction?
Na, I just copied your post and looked at how it worked. Still haven't worked out the button problem. Could be the Microsoft Edge browser. Try Google Chrome soon. Hopefully that fixes it.

Offline SteelPax

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Art
Forum Code advice and other Forum FAQ
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2018, 09:32:19 PM »
Couldnt load the site for a couple of hours, once it did, its all basic plain text with no graphical forum.
whats happening?