Author Topic: Need help building a Sword  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Wookinstien

• Conversationalist
  • Lorem ipsum butts et mentiri non potest.
    • View Profile
Need help building a Sword
« on: February 14, 2012, 07:02:41 AM »
Hi my name is Wookie and I am a noob to the DFRPG system.  I have figured out almost everything about character creation, but I need help making an IOP. 

My idea is a sword created by a Sun God.  Very hot, very sharp cuts/burns through almost anything.  I also want to be able to use it to parry ranged attacks as well as melee attacks and if possible a "worldwalking" device. 
I have up to 4 refresh available....
Any suggestions/help/hints/smoke signals/crayon drawings?   ;D

too much? 

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Need help building a Sword
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »
Traditionally, swords (especially the khanda or the scimitar) were symbols of Shiva and Kali. The gada (mace/club) was more up Vishnu's alley. (since you're looking for a weapon for your Vishnu emissary)

That said, here's a general build doing what you want;

[insert name] [-1 or -2 refresh depending on discount, w5 or w4 depending on size]
It is what it is: [insert name] is a perfectly crafter and balanced [insert weapon type]. Weapon 3 (if large), Weapon 2 (if small)
Indestructible: [insert name] can only be destroyed through specific rituals/circumstances that pervert its purpose.
Higher Purpose: [insert name] has a specific purpose; it cannot normally be used against that purpose and always has an agenda, whether its wielders know it or not.
One-time-discount: +2 (for a large weapon) or +1 (for a smaller, concealable one)
True Aim: +1 to all weapon rolls when wielding [insert name] within its purpose.
Flaming Aura: [insert name] deals +2 stress. That extra stress counts as fire.
Deflective Force: By interposing [insert name] between themselves and an attack, the wielder can deflect it as if the sword were an impenetrable barrier. They may use their weapons skill as defense vs all physical attacks and maneuvers that aren't indirect and mental attacks and maneuvers that require specific targeting or touch. I.e. the sword could defend against a white court vampire's emotion-manipulating touch or a blast of fire magic but not against  poison gas or a fear aura.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:39:24 AM »
A rough crack and it.

The Blade of Dawn [Total -4]
[-0] Walk not in Shadow Insert purpose here, also, doesn't function as anything but a sharp indestructible sword if the wielder is attempting to hide themselves or the blade.
[-0] It Is What It Is It's an absurdly sharp, feather light, sword with a leading edge so fine it's transparent. WR 3 when inactive.
[-0] Unbreakable
[+2]  One time discount A long sword that tends to glow spectacularly...
[-2] Searing Edge of the Sun Limned with the incandescent brilliance of Sol's fusion fire, the Blade of Dawn may cuts true. +3 stress inflicted on a successful strike, constitutes Sunlight and Fire.
[-1]  Sol's Aegis The sweeping rays of dawn tolerate no shadow upon their source. The wielder may use Weaponry to defend against Guns and other material ranged attacks.
[-1] Dawning Light Sweeping the blade over a spell subjects it to Dawn. Spells not specifically reinforced against the dawning of a new day (duration less than one day) subjects the spell to a power 5 counter-magic effect.
[-2] Worldwalker As per the power

Bonus, WIP

Fallen Forgotten Aidenweiss, The Key of White Fire, The Sword of the General Supreme [Total -5 to -10]
[-0] Chosen of the Sun
[-0] It Is What It Is Aidenweiss is a perfect, albeit very heavy and large, greatsword, it's edge is sharp, it's surface is perfectly mirrored, it's hilt and cross guard are composed spiraling gold and diamond. WR 3
[-0] Unbreakable Indestructible even in the face of that which can break the unbreakable
[+2]  One time discount
[-4] Superhuman Strength In the hands of it's chosen wielder, the blade is swift and light, balanced perfectly for one handed use. To those it strikes, it weighs a literal ton. (Note: The blade doesn't make the wielder stronger, the benefits apply only through the sword)
[-?] General Supreme The Chosen is the metaphysical hierarchical superior of all of their allies as well as anyone that confronts them in combat. (probably grants social bonuses)
[-?] Mandate of Heaven Those spirits that remember the rule of Sol Invictus are subservient to the bearer of Aidenweiss and, if individually named, may be summoned to the bearers side (this is partially covered by sponsored magic.).
[-2] Holy Aidenweiss perpetuates the definition of Holy autonomously, treat it's presence as holy water and sunlight covering the zone it is in.
[-?] Sponsored Magic Aidenweiss is a mobile place of power, forged into the shape of a sword in the furnace of the sun by Sol Invictus. This primarily serves to augment the wielders existing abilities, but grants evothaum to summoning the spirits of the suns host.
http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=Ink_Monkeys,_vol._17:_The_Daystar_(Part_III)#The_Key_of_White_Fire
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 06:43:12 PM by GryMor »

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 10:37:14 AM »
There's also this:

Black Blade of Disaster [total -10]
It is what it is: a five-foot, blade-shaped void. Functions as a greatsword (weapon 3)
One-time Discount: +2
Destroyer: being made of mordite, the sword deals 6 extra stress (as if wielded by someone with mythic strength). Due to its non-material nature, no further stress bonus applies from strength powers - and someone with such powers would not be able to use them through the blade. Outsiders are not affected. Refresh -3
Ravager: being made of mordite, the sword treats victims as if they were in a Legendary-level threshold, diminishing their powers significantly unless they are Outsiders or similar creatures of the Void. Defensive abilities are the first negated. Refresh -8
Soulslayer: mordite is deadly - no ifs, no buts. Consequences dealt are one step worse; mild consequences would take up the moderate consequence slot, a moderate would take up the severe slot, a severe would take up the extreme slot and an extreme disintegrates the victim. Refresh -2
Lifestealer: Being made of mordite, the sword affects its wielder just as well as it affects its other victims. Each round, apply all of the sword's effects to the wielder, except for its base damage from "it is what it is". Refresh +3

:o...  ;D

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
Sword of Transcendent Solar Glory [-2]
It is what it is: A five foot Claymore surrounded by a fiery solar radiance
One time Discount: +2
Flaming Corona [-1] : Your sword is surrounded by the magnificence of the sun, this does an additional two stress against opponents and an additional 4 stress against enemies with a catch of sunlight but prevents you from scoring more than a mediocre on any stealth rolls whilst the blade is unsheathed.
Nova [-1] By reducing the weapons rating of your attack by -2 you can hit every target in a zone.
True Aim: +1 to weapons skill [-1]
The Abounding Light of Heaven [-1] One who wields this blade is surrounded by the abounded light of heaven and is protected from the dangers of evil, you can use weapons to parry any attack that is evil or from an evil source even if the attack is esoteric or spiritual in nature.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:29:36 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Wookinstien

• Conversationalist
  • Lorem ipsum butts et mentiri non potest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 11:31:45 AM »
Well Thanks for the prompt answers and wow I think option one from Belial666 fits the character the best.

@GryMor  I love that Blade.....

@Ways   Thanks.,...nice!

Thanks the examples also help me in figuring out how make make IOP's.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:33:30 AM by Wookinstien »

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 02:39:17 PM »
Belial, I never knew the sun was an outsider. The sneaky bastard must have a good PR rep. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 03:06:01 PM »
It was a joke suggestion after my real, relevant suggestion. Jokes should always be welcome - laughter is rare enough these days.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »
The joke did not elude me. I found it entertaining and attempted to respond in kind. My apologies if it read as a criticism rather than a tip of the hat to your humor.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 08:32:23 PM »
Yeah, jokes don't translate well on the internet, esp if English isn't someone's first language. I add emoticons (sp?) just in case.

Though... the Black Blade of Disaster is something I've actually used once in a game.  :o

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 11:09:28 PM »
There's a bit of Exalted flavour on this thread...have I seen you on the White Wolf Exalted boards, GryMor?

If anyone here is considering a submission to the Item Of Power Master List, I encourage them.

Also, I have a custom power that might be appropriate for a blade that sheds massive heat. It's here, with some planned edits two posts down from it.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 11:14:21 PM »
There's a bit of Exalted flavour on this thread...have I seen you on the White Wolf Exalted boards, GryMor?

Probably, but I haven't been active recently. I was active on the wiki for quite some time.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 11:24:04 PM »
Might be a good time to head back. Apparently the lethality-fixing 2.5 errata is nigh.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 11:38:46 PM »
TheMouse is (or at least was) working on a FATE conversion of Exalted.  That might help if you're looking for more Exalted flavor without the system baggage.  I think he had a thread up on RPG.net a few weeks ago...
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 03:32:44 AM »
Nah. Far as I'm concerned it isn't Exalted without the unique mechanics.