Author Topic: Jack Bauer Writeup  (Read 1870 times)

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
Jack Bauer Writeup
« on: February 15, 2012, 02:07:02 AM »
In an attempt to get my brother interested in playing the DFRPG with me, I helped him write up a build for his favorite fictional character for a game using the Baltimore setting. We fluffed it as Jack being sent to investigate something involving Vampires and coordinating with the local Warden (we weren't really paying much attention to the plot, just rolling dice and making stuff up as we went along for fun.) He seemed to enjoy it, even if he did get stomped by Gilgamesh at the end (Self-compel: My way or the highway against Gilgamesh = not smart).  Given how we were both fairly new at the system, I'm reasonably sure we did a few things wrong putting this build together for him, but I thought I would share it nonetheless.

NAME: Jack  Bauer
HIGH CONCEPT: CTU Agent (Pure Mortal)
TROUBLE: Doesn't take orders well
ASPECTS:
Ex-Navy Seal;
I Gave My Word;
Tough As Nails;
My Way Or The Highway;
Family Man.

SKILLS:
+5 Endurance
+4 Guns, Alertness, Athletics
+3 Fists, Discipline, Intimidation
+2 Stealth, Investigation, Rapport
+1Presence, Driving, Empathy

STRESS: P: OOOO (1/2)/  M: OOOO  S: OOO
CONSEQUENCES: Mild, Moderate, Severe, Extreme

STUNTS:
Answer the Question!: Jack may use Intimidation instead of Empathy when Interrogating someone
Expert Marksmen: +1 to Guns when using handguns
Twitch Response: +2 to Alertness when establishing Initiative
Iron Eats Me for Breakfast: When outnumbered and outgunned in a physical conflict, Jack gains two mild Physical Consequences
Will of Steel: Jack uses Discipline instead of Conviction when determining Mental Stress

REFRESH/FATE POINTS: 5 / 7

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Bauer Writeup
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 03:29:31 AM »
What exactly does the first stunt do? Intimidation already has an Interrogation trapping.

Otherwise looks okay to me, though I don't know the show very well.

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 03:34:52 AM »
To quote my brother: "To scare the shit out of someone and tell if they're lying or not."

I think I built each stunt in a way that showcased each of the different things you could do with stunts to help my brother understand the system. Probably could have done a better job of it, but it is what it is.

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 03:52:25 AM »
looks awesome, but I see no mention of the jackpack. that little bookbag is like a friggin utility belt.

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 04:00:47 AM »
He mentioned that, and I ruled that provided it was plausible for a CTU agent to carry a particular item, he could just integrate it in to the game as needed. More exotic items needed a Fate Point, however.

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 04:21:56 AM »
To quote my brother: "To scare the shit out of someone and tell if they're lying or not."

I think I built each stunt in a way that showcased each of the different things you could do with stunts to help my brother understand the system. Probably could have done a better job of it, but it is what it is.

If that is your intent, then you may wish to reword it as "Jack can use Intimidate instead of Empathy to defend against Deceit."

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:27:40 AM »
Agreed, knowing what I know now, the writeup would be a lot different. But, I decided to post the old version for kicks.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
Hmm, This opens up a whole world of Pure Mortal Fictional Badasses for possible writeups... Quick, somebody make:
  • John McClain
  • Jack Burton (From Big Trouble in Little China)
  • John Preston (From Equilibrium)
  • John Rambo
  • Sarah Conner
  • Evelyn Salt
  • Jason Bourne
;D
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 02:03:45 AM »
Hmm, This opens up a whole world of Pure Mortal Fictional Badasses for possible writeups... Quick, somebody make:
  • John McClain
  • Jack Burton (From Big Trouble in Little China)
  • John Preston (From Equilibrium)
  • John Rambo
  • Sarah Conner
  • Evelyn Salt
  • Jason Bourne
;D

They are all the same person with different aspecst and in some cases diferent genitals.  Post and create what you want but they'll all wind up pretty similar I'd bet.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 09:40:08 AM »
Jack Bauer not having conviction? This guy believes he's always right even when the entirety of the world believes he's wrong. He sticks by his beliefs and ideals in the face of adversity, death, torture and worldwide armageddon. He's won staring and chicken contests with the worst of the worst the world has to offer and has endured the inthinkable. He also lacks contacts, which he definitely has; he personally knows the president! More than one president in fact. Last but not least, he's proven capable of taking on a bazzillion guys at once at least in gunfights.
On the other hand, Jack is definitely a burned-out agent and is stubborn, unchanging, and set in his ways. I think he has much less free will (and refresh) than 7. Therefore, I'd suggest these changes

NAME: Jack  Bauer
HIGH CONCEPT: CTU Agent (Pure Mortal)
TROUBLE: Doesn't take orders well
ASPECTS:
Ex-Navy Seal;
I Gave My Word;
Tough As Nails;
My Way Or The Highway;
Family Man.

SKILLS:
+5 Endurance, Conviction
+4 Guns, Intimidation
+3 Athletics, Alertness, Fists
+2 Stealth, Investigation, Contacts
+1 Presence, Driving, Rapport, Survival

STRESS: P: OOOO (1/2)/  M: OOOO (1) S: OOO
CONSEQUENCES: Mild, Moderate, Severe, Extreme

STUNTS:
Answer the Question!: Jack gains +1 to Intimidation vs bound/helpless opponents and may use it instead of Empathy
Expert Marksman: +1 to Guns when using handguns
Shot on the Run: (gun-defense stunt from the book)
Off-hand Weapon Training: (dual-wielding stunt from the book)
Hail of Bullets: Jack may shoot at an entire zone by taking a -1 to his attack roll, provided he is wielding multiple guns or a gun with rapid-fire.
On my Toes: (initiative-related stunt from the book)
Iron Eats Me for Breakfast: When outnumbered and outgunned in a physical conflict, Jack gains two mild Physical Consequences
Will of Steel: Jack uses Conviction instead of Discipline as a mental defense.
Friends in Dark Places: +2 to all contacts rolls regarding clandestine operations.

REFRESH/FATE POINTS: submerged / 3

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 08:29:02 PM »
I like this build, definitely some improvements, thanks! I'll send it to my brother and see what he thinks, maybe I can rope him in to the game again if I'm lucky~