Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 128284 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #885 on: November 17, 2012, 05:06:29 PM »
Too exhausted to write last night, but while waking up this morning I finally figured out enough details for the end of #3 to know what clues need setting up in the next chapter I write.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 17, 2012, 08:26:15 PM »
On 38000 words now, and I've thickened up the plot of the second half of the book, which I felt was a little thin, but now I' in the position of not having a firm plot outline for that part. Wonderful.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 18, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »
3500 words of chapter 8, first 1000 words of chapter 9, and the whole thing is over 35k.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #888 on: November 22, 2012, 01:19:44 PM »
158 of a new project
plus two history essays of 1000 words each so far this week
and the big physics project hit 2,250 mark teusday
when new project hits 200 mark i will do some more school work

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #889 on: November 22, 2012, 01:25:43 PM »
damn 207 have to stop and work now well a brake was nice at least

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #890 on: November 23, 2012, 02:26:40 AM »
44,500+ om the NaNoWriMo project. Crusing right along.... :)

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 24, 2012, 05:44:25 PM »
through pass on a couple of chapters and 2000 new words last night on TIWTBW #3.

Now over 40,000 words.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 24, 2012, 09:53:16 PM »
Just finished the NaNo 50,000 words. Actual wordcount is now at 56,667.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 25, 2012, 02:47:29 AM »
So I haven't touched my story since early July... I know I need to start back on it but I'm just not feeling it. Ugh... time to get inspired again.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 25, 2012, 08:26:47 AM »
A brutal truth:  You probably have to sit down and make yourself knock out a few hundred words.  I've found that to be the only thing that worked when I had a period of time when I "didn't feel inspired"

Can't get around dry spells, you have to go and just drive through them.

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 25, 2012, 08:50:08 AM »
yeah I know... two twelve hour overnight shifts at work this weekend should be the perfect way to do that... but I've only got about an hour left of tonight's shift and I've done everything to procrastinate that I can think of including some actual work... heh but man the hardest thing about coming back to it is that in reading the first chapters again I hate it and want to change it all.

I've done that before and I'm not eager to rewrite all that again especially knowing that's the wrong way to go if I ever want to finish. But I do hate it especially seeing all the flaws I had going through it last time. Just gotta push through...

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 25, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »
A brutal truth:  You probably have to sit down and make yourself knock out a few hundred words.  I've found that to be the only thing that worked when I had a period of time when I "didn't feel inspired"

Can't get around dry spells, you have to go and just drive through them.

Having multiple projects going has worked for me as a way around that, fwiw.  Haven't yet been blocked on everything at once.

I'm always a little wary of "push through"-type advice because I've seen successful published writers irrevocably screw up WiPs and be unable to finish them because of trying to push through something that needed to be mulled on more first.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 25, 2012, 06:40:20 PM »
Having multiple projects going has worked for me as a way around that, fwiw.  Haven't yet been blocked on everything at once.

I'm always a little wary of "push through"-type advice because I've seen successful published writers irrevocably screw up WiPs and be unable to finish them because of trying to push through something that needed to be mulled on more first.

Yeah, I should throw in a "mileage may vary."  I'll stop for a few days for research and such, I definitely aren't saying "write every day whether you feel up to it or not."  But when I realized I haven't touched it for two or three days, I sit down and make myself at least hammer some work out. 

For me, "Pushing through" probably works so well simply because I've got the entire story arc, along with several milestones mapped out already though, so I know where I'm going and it's usually case of working on the "boring" stuff between the last Exciting Cool Scene and the Next Exciting Cool Scene I've already imagined and simmered in my head for a while.  And once I sit down and do a couple hundred words of work, it usually turns to play when I'm not looking.

Usually, for me the biggest problem is getting started.  It's like a restaurant you really like but just don't feel like getting out of your pajamas and getting dressed to go to.  But once you're there, it's just dandy and you're thinking "Damn!  I should have come here yesterday...."

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 25, 2012, 06:53:19 PM »
Wow, I envy all of you, sincerely. The ability to get a story, that you have nurtured from a small nugget and put it on the Written page is nothing short of miraculious. Good, bad or ugly... you managed to write about it, and I raise a toast to your success. " To the Hundreds of Stories Witten, and the Thousands lost to Time"
" I'm just a big hairy american winning machine"

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #899 on: November 26, 2012, 02:06:52 AM »
Just finished the NaNo 50,000 words. Actual wordcount is now at 56,667.

I've also hit the 50,000 word mark in the NaNo -- right now, it's 50,220 words.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com