Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 128282 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #810 on: October 25, 2012, 08:25:27 PM »

and its off to work!

always follow the dream guys.  I know you can do it!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #811 on: October 27, 2012, 12:52:30 AM »

and

Never surrender.  Writers of the world everywhere, Hold that banner tall!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 27, 2012, 05:05:59 PM »
Broke 60K last night.  Lots of 500 to 1000 word nights, but I need a few of those days where I can just sit back and spend the day knocking out 3 or 4k in a session.  I know it all adds up, but those are the days where I can honestly feel like I really accomplished something. 

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #813 on: October 27, 2012, 08:25:26 PM »
Broke 60K last night.  Lots of 500 to 1000 word nights, but I need a few of those days where I can just sit back and spend the day knocking out 3 or 4k in a session.  I know it all adds up, but those are the days where I can honestly feel like I really accomplished something.

Stay hard after it PG you can do it!!!

I know the feeling.

The Deposed King

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 28, 2012, 07:32:52 AM »
Between work being once-in-four-years-grant-application crazy and having visiting family, I did indeed get no writing done this week either; have figured out some useful bits of world-building, though.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 29, 2012, 02:17:47 AM »

I can empathize.  3k would be an amazing day.  I think I did that a couple of times when I was on vacation.  And you are doing well if you are averaging 500 to 1000 per night. 

Honestly, most of my work gets done on the weekends.  I actually looked back at my progress over the past year, and it looks like I have written about 100k . . . or about 2k per week.  Not exactly lighting speed. 

Up to 183k now.  Still working on the climax.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - D. Vader

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 29, 2012, 03:26:55 PM »
Remember the tortoise!

indecision over, direction set. Raise the sails and hit the open seas.  Wait, weren't there hurricane warnings out there? 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline drewavera

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 01, 2012, 06:48:55 PM »
first day of NaNoWriMo, i figured id try it this year, i wrote 3496 words. i may write some more later tonight...
Self published sci fi author. Read my indie author interviews at www.drewavera.wordpress.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 01, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
Good progress this morning. And I'm only a tiny bit into a larger scene that is blocked out, waiting for me to get the words down.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #819 on: November 01, 2012, 11:48:08 PM »
first day of NaNoWriMo, i figured id try it this year, i wrote 3496 words. i may write some more later tonight...

As of right now, 2009 words for me....

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 02, 2012, 01:25:32 AM »
5000 word storm holiday, and another 1,000 tonight.  Although tonight's stuff is a scene I haven't quite figured out how to work into the book. 

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 02, 2012, 06:15:32 PM »
Doing NaNo - cheating a little, as I hit it running, intending to add 50,000 to my count. Midway through my second day (planning to do 2,000 a day, then if I fall a little behind, it's not the end of the world), and I'm at 8,480.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 03, 2012, 12:10:09 AM »
4kwords so far today, taking a break for dinner.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 03, 2012, 05:09:50 AM »
Not doing the NaNoWriMo bit myself, I can work at a decent pace, but I can't get anywhere setting numerical goals/deadlines for myself beyond the basic "gotta average a minimum of 500 words a night."  Same reason I couldn't do illustration for work other than my own... my brain won't let me say "I'm going to paint a five."  I have to trick it and cajole it into doing what I want it to sometimes.  Like the 500 word average that works for making me average well over 500 words a night.  Don't do it every night, but when I sit down I'll usually do a bare minimum of 1000 anyway.  Didn't write last night, or the night before?  Ok, better open the laptop while I watch a movie... and I end up pausing the movie to peck out a hundred words... and then pause it again.. and again... and realized a few hours later that the computer's powered down while I knocked out 1500 words.  Which gets me to a scene that I'm excited about and take off on the next day when I get home from work...

Annoying darn thing, I have to give myself flexibility, which forces me to do what I can't force myself to do.

Does that make any sense? 

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 03, 2012, 05:26:58 AM »
And that was about a 6500-word day.  A whole new chapter, and a few bits and bobs added in to earlier chapters, of TIWTBWO #3, including one incidental detail that I've been wanting to get in since I basically had to cut a couple of chapters off the beginning of #2 for pacing reasons.  On the whole, pleasing. The next three chapters or so may get some chopping and changing, but after that we have a change of direction and it should be plainer sailing.  (This is not a book with one Big Middle so much as it is a book with a major thing a third of the way in and another two-thirds of the way in; I am looking forward to being past the former.)