Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 128287 times)

Offline drewavera

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #705 on: September 11, 2012, 07:15:32 PM »
also, im not sure if this has been brought up or not, but what do yall think of books written in 3rd person, past tense? thats how i started this book and its flowing pretty good, but most of the books ive read recently are in first person, present tense...
Self published sci fi author. Read my indie author interviews at www.drewavera.wordpress.com

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 11, 2012, 07:18:05 PM »
It's whatever works for you.
Every writer is different and comes at their story in a different fashion and voice.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 11, 2012, 07:34:06 PM »
also, im not sure if this has been brought up or not, but what do yall think of books written in 3rd person, past tense? thats how i started this book and its flowing pretty good, but most of the books ive read recently are in first person, present tense...

Some stories naturally want to be in first person and some in third, and many authors use widely varying viewpoint techniques depending on the story they are telling. What sort of books are you finding lots of first-person-present in ?  I'm not thinking of any other than Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim books I've read recently.

The thing about first-person that's not necessarily the case with even a fairly tight third-person is that everything you get in it is through the perspective of the narrator, and you can do fun characterisation things with what the narrator notices, what they miss, what sort of prejudices or preferences they have and so on.  You also have to figure out exactly when the story is being told, because a headlong braindump as it's acually happening, and a journal "written" later by the narrator with room for them to pause and reflect on what they later learned and see things differently from how they did at the time, are quite different things.  Third can give you one character's thoughts, or can just be like having a camera-eye follow the action around, or you can have some sort of omniscient narrative voice in, though this is very hard to do well and not sloppily. For myself, when a story comes to me, there's very rarely any doubt what viewpoint it's in, but I am beginning to think first-person may be where I am naturally stronger.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #708 on: September 11, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »
A lot of recent YA fiction is first person, present tense; supposedly this is meant to appeal to teens who tend to think and write this way themselves. I have no issue with first person--I probably wouldn't be on this site if I did  :)--but I find the present tense to be generally pretentious and annoying, the literary equivalent of being over-caffeinated. Instead of creating a sense of immediacy, I find it makes me jittery and anxious, and I've turned down quite a few well-reviewed books because they're written in present tense. The exceptions are the aforementioned Sandman Slim and the works of Damon Runyon, neither of which bother me for some reason.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 12, 2012, 12:05:56 AM »
I've not read those, but I'll have to put them on my list.  Present tense is often used as a Tension Generating or Look I'm Artsy gimmick, and it takes some good writing to convince me to overlook my prejudice against the tense. 

On my own stuff, I'm up to 46K.  And a good bit of that will get filled out later when I go through and take the "I told him make me sammich!" scenes and replace them with full conversations. 

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 12, 2012, 01:02:25 AM »
I've not read those, but I'll have to put them on my list.

Oh, I think you might enjoy the Sandman Slim books.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 12, 2012, 02:09:51 AM »
I've not read those, but I'll have to put them on my list.  Present tense is often used as a Tension Generating or Look I'm Artsy gimmick, and it takes some good writing to convince me to overlook my prejudice against the tense. 

On my own stuff, I'm up to 46K.  And a good bit of that will get filled out later when I go through and take the "I told him make me sammich!" scenes and replace them with full conversations.

"But I want a sammich!"  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 12, 2012, 02:39:09 AM »
Ash for breakfast, Zeddie!  When ain't you hungry?

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 12, 2012, 02:41:10 AM »
LOLZ. ;D ;D

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #714 on: September 13, 2012, 08:38:28 AM »
Well the official word count of Admiral's Gambit is 160,584

Its now up on Amazon for sale so I'm declaring the move and celebrating the end of a lengthy novel!

http://www.amazon.com/Admirals-Gambit-Spineward-Sectors-ebook/dp/B0099RQCHU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1347499090&sr=8-3&keywords=admiral%27s+gambit

Now its time to dig in on book 3!

wish me luck!!!!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline drewavera

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 13, 2012, 11:02:33 AM »
i appreciate the thoughts. im feeling pretty good about the third person narrative so far. i do have another question. when you do lengthy dialouge coming from a character when they tell a story, how do you use the quotation marks for the paragraph breaks? for example my character tells a story that requires about 5 paragraphs and there are some quotes inside that story, so do I throw the quotes at the beginning of the story and the end of it like a term paper where i steal info off google or do i put quotations for each paragraph? i hope this is an easy question to understand...
Self published sci fi author. Read my indie author interviews at www.drewavera.wordpress.com

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 13, 2012, 01:24:05 PM »
i appreciate the thoughts. im feeling pretty good about the third person narrative so far. i do have another question. when you do lengthy dialouge coming from a character when they tell a story, how do you use the quotation marks for the paragraph breaks? for example my character tells a story that requires about 5 paragraphs and there are some quotes inside that story, so do I throw the quotes at the beginning of the story and the end of it like a term paper where i steal info off google or do i put quotations for each paragraph? i hope this is an easy question to understand...

The standard I was taught at school, fwiw, is to put a quotation mark at the start of each paragraph of dialogue, but at the end of the last one only.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #717 on: September 15, 2012, 12:41:35 AM »
The standard I was taught at school, fwiw, is to put a quotation mark at the start of each paragraph of dialogue, but at the end of the last one only.

This is what I've seen in several books that have long narrative dialogue. The one that comes to mind most readily is Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice, which is pretty much almost all one character telling a story.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 15, 2012, 04:13:28 AM »
So tonight I worked on several different things, about 1100 words here and there, but solved a couple of plot problems with the next thing, which always feels like work.

Normally, in my working directory for any given project, I have a file or two of notes, and a file called "plan" which is basically the chapter-by-chapter breakdown with everything that needs to go into the chapters - a sizable lump for chapters not written, and updated with what needs to go where earlier if I figure it out as I go along.  With the current multi-book series I have different files for the different volumes, so the one I fixed tonight is "plan4".  I have only just realised that given this working schema, there is a categorical imperative to take this series to nine books.  Because it is, after all, from outer space.

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 16, 2012, 10:06:59 PM »
Made it to 168k today.  Working on the climax of the novel, at least for one character.  Wish I had more time in the average week to work on it, but you know how that goes. 

So can anyone tell me how they plan to celebrate when they finally finish their next book?  Fireworks?  Champagne?  A nice nap?    ;D
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - D. Vader