Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 130718 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2012, 12:25:05 AM »
fixed a few plot holes sorted out basic plane for my books ending witch is good
got some people to bata read by first book (the start of it at least)
good luke with your writting everyoone

Up to 10k on a new side project.  I just couldn't get back into my sequel.  I think its stalled out at 58K.  So I spent the last day working on an Assassin who's trying to get out of the assassination trade by becoming a Maze Merchant and running arms.  2.5 the first day, 7.5 yesterday.  Its sucking kind of hard right now but at least I'm producing.  If I have to divert all over the place I don't really care.  I just need to get back in teh writing groove.

Thanks,

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2012, 10:36:26 AM »
I took a break from my novel to get some editorials done for some music venues i visited over the weekend. Don't have a word count right now since I have been hand writing them but they take up at least three journal pages.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »
So I actually sat down and counted what I've written so far, and it comes up to just under 20,000 words.  Wow.  Had no idea I'd put that much in since I work on it in dribs and drabs.  An evening here, a saturday here, with lots of breaks for what I call "research." 

You'd have to ask Shecky if what I'm doing is "writing" or "just doing fan stuff" I suppose.   ;)  Started out as a lit challenge/character bio with my fleetmates on Star Trek Online and it's grown into A Project.  (I find myself compelled to be Super Power Uber Anal about fitting it into not only the series/movie canon, but also the stuff from the "classic" trek books.)  I thought it was going to be a short story or two about a couple of my characters, but the stories climbed all up on one another and got to loving, and now more stories are happening, which is exactly what my wife told me would happen.  So I don't know if I'm writing a book, a novella, or just a Class III Charlie Foxtrot Whisky Tango.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2012, 11:39:40 PM »
So I actually sat down and counted what I've written so far, and it comes up to just under 20,000 words.  Wow.  Had no idea I'd put that much in since I work on it in dribs and drabs.  An evening here, a saturday here, with lots of breaks for what I call "research." 

You'd have to ask Shecky if what I'm doing is "writing" or "just doing fan stuff" I suppose.   ;)  Started out as a lit challenge/character bio with my fleetmates on Star Trek Online and it's grown into A Project.  (I find myself compelled to be Super Power Uber Anal about fitting it into not only the series/movie canon, but also the stuff from the "classic" trek books.)  I thought it was going to be a short story or two about a couple of my characters, but the stories climbed all up on one another and got to loving, and now more stories are happening, which is exactly what my wife told me would happen.  So I don't know if I'm writing a book, a novella, or just a Class III Charlie Foxtrot Whisky Tango.

Way to go PG.  Aim for the bleachers!!!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline ItsallSuesfault

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook/SoapBox
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2012, 05:11:59 AM »
Right now I'm going through my manuscript on last time and checking it against my outline, rewritting scenes that are junk and etc. It's daunting but I'm halfway through it and then let querying hell begin.
DV Geek Code 1.2 BK++ YR 7  JB+ TH++ CL+++ BC++ MC+ SH(Molly)+++ SH(Murphy)+ SH-(Mab) Elaine=Future Knight of Summer/Former Necromancer.

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 07:25:00 AM »
I wrote 800 words last night before deleting 650 after remembering that I'd dropped that plot point. So disgusted, that my progress was only that 150...
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 12:05:30 PM »
Cut and paste!  Instead of dropping those deleted words, dump the stack in a seperate "scraps" document on the off chance you've got a scene, bit of dialogue or image you can re-purpose or simply draw some ideas from later.

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2012, 03:27:53 PM »
Cut and paste!  Instead of dropping those deleted words, dump the stack in a seperate "scraps" document on the off chance you've got a scene, bit of dialogue or image you can re-purpose or simply draw some ideas from later.

Not a bad idea, but too late for it. In any case, the scene was not very easily reuseable. It took place in a locale that was dropped entirely from the story. Mostly, I dropped it because it was just confusing for the current story and added nothing to the overall theme. It may have been useful in a sequal, but I'm not htinking of sequals yet.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »
Reminds me I've got a scene I've decided to jettison or severely prune back because it doesn't really flow organically with the story, comes off more like a Heinleinian Preachable Moment after reading the whole piece a couple times.  The sort of thing better depicted with a faint, light brush and and gentle, quiet whisper rather than slapped on with putty knife and ramblement.

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2012, 04:16:38 PM »
You mean sort of how Jim usually throws in those occasional scenes that make you go "damn... that's absolutely right!" with only a descriptive paragraph, a line of dialogue, and a meaningful pause?

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2012, 04:30:04 PM »
Yeah.  A comment or image that lets the reader reach the conclusion themselves is far more effective than a lecture or neon sign.  Intellectually I guess it's kind of like when Harry was at the kinky club and that cousin of Lara's sex-machine-power-minxed her way in... Harry commented that Lara sitting in a chair naturally did more for him.  In this case, it's a social issue that is used to generate a rather minor plot point in a story that simply is not about social issues, so I really didn't need to belabour the point.

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »
I've stopped.  >:(
Hopefully I should start again next week when I have a week free from work.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2012, 07:03:13 PM »
oh school work means i only write on week ends untill i get the checked vertion of by second draft back
good luck shades wih yours
i am slowly making progress on the second book just don't do work on it when school work has to take priority

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2012, 10:47:04 PM »
I'm into 24000 words (will be 90000 total) and in that wonderful warm spot where everything is flowing and i don't see any storm clouds on the horizon. Probably my number one favorite place to be. The characters are know, the plot is known and now I get to flesh everything out and let it fly.  Meg
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2012, 03:54:17 AM »

I do the exact same thing myself -- sometimes, I take parts of several scenes I've cut and pasted into another file, put them together and come up with a brand new scene

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com