Author Topic: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?  (Read 41738 times)

Figging Mint

Re: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?
« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2012, 06:18:36 PM »
Pat Elrod was griping on FB the other day that she needed to come up with a new genre that would put her in the J.K. Rowling class of best-sellerdom, and that vampires and wizards seemed to be overdone.

Go back to source mythoi.   Stop digging in other people's tailings.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #226 on: June 18, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »
I can't wait for zombies to stop being trendy, they really have no appeal to me.
Agreed; I don't get the appeal of what is, basically, a mindless animated corpse at all.
What I'd really like to see is some clever tech/science based Steampunk fiction with no paranormal elements whatsoever.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 19, 2012, 03:05:22 AM »
What I'd really like to see is some clever tech/science based Steampunk fiction with no paranormal elements whatsoever.

I wouldn't mind seeing this if someone could pull it off. It wouldn't even bother me if they cheated a little on the science as long as the writer knew the science and was aware of when and why they were breaking the rules. I say that because I don't know if I would even consider it steam punk if there weren't some mechanical marvels that might not strictly be possible unless they were in a universe where the laws of physics were slightly different than our own.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 19, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »

Steampunk is actually the other fashionable genre thing I can't wait to be over, fwiw.  Between the frequent unpleasant colonialist undertones and my lingering affection for the laws of thermodynamics, most of it does not work for me at all.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 19, 2012, 07:50:13 PM »
...and that, the affection for the laws of thermodynamics, is why I don't know if anyone could pull off a steampunk story with no paranormal elements. I have read more than one steampunk story where perpetual motion machines were common but people marveled at a motorcycle or someone could get much more energy out of a system than they ever put into it. I can't enjoy that great a change from reality especially when it is introduced as not being supernatural. I would, however, like to read a steampunk story where the supernatural touch is light and only used when absolutely necessary.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 20, 2012, 01:12:12 AM »
The few steampunk stories I've read and enjoyed reminded me of this little plum: "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Which describes the "accidental" (i.e., an ill-understood discovery in an alternate timeline) steampunk stories quite well.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2012, 05:05:59 AM »
The few steampunk stories I've read and enjoyed reminded me of this little plum: "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Which describes the "accidental" (i.e., an ill-understood discovery in an alternate timeline) steampunk stories quite well.

I haven't read that many yet but I can see why some people would have problems with having to put aside their unbelief. Some of the tech does seem to defy certain physical laws even though I have read a couple with no real paranormal...at least what I usually think of as paranormal.

But in that case sorry to report that they are on the raise. I don't think but I'm not sure if it will take over like UF did but there will be quite a few new ones.

BTW I like some of it, especially a spy thriller type series I am reading.
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »

Indeed.  And come to think of it. I'm very fond of The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., and I suppose that's close enough to steampunk that I should modify my earlier position thereon.

I do think there is a difference in scale, though between a story that intentionally takes place in a world with intentionally alternate physics that look like magic (not that I can think of very many; Richard Garfinkle's Celestial Matters, which did not quite work for me, and a couple of excellent Ted Chiang novellas particularly "Seventy-Two Letters") and one that is sloppy on conservation of energy solely for the sake of getting to have cool clockwork automata.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:06:30 PM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Figging Mint

« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2012, 06:40:32 PM »
I find the correlation between clockwork automata and colonialist attitudes rather interesting, do you attribute that to outright copying (and perhaps over-nurturing) of 19th cent. prevalent attitudes or to something within the technological premise itself?

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2012, 07:03:02 PM »
I find the correlation between clockwork automata and colonialist attitudes rather interesting, do you attribute that to outright copying (and perhaps over-nurturing) of 19th cent. prevalent attitudes or to something within the technological premise itself?

I think it represents some authors taking on steampunk/Victoriana as one fused monolith of ideas and images and implications rather than really analysing deeper consequences of changing some elements of a setting.  But then, I have an ongoing grumble about failure to think through economics of fantasy worlds, or consequences on population growth of magical healing, or consequences of magic in general, that really I am resigned to only getting very occasional counterexamples for. (Short of writing them myself.)

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 21, 2012, 05:39:24 AM »
And I thought that I was being anal when I had a problem in "science" fiction worlds with predator to prey ( if indeed there were any prey at all) ratios that were all out of whack. I try not to even think about economics in most sci fi or fantasy countries or it will make me pull out the little hair that I have left. There are also the systems of government that sound wonderful but would rapidly implode if someone tried to use them with real people. Usually I just intentionally overlook this sort of thing but every once in a while it sneaks up on me and slaps me in the face.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2012, 06:18:43 AM »
The willing suspension of disbelief.
I can do it but I refuse to hang it by an unravelling cotton thread over the Grand Canyon - that's just
too much to ask.
As you say, every now and then it just up and slaps you in the face
and you can't enjoy it anymore.

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #237 on: June 22, 2012, 12:40:54 AM »
Getting back to UF books.

For some reason I recently remembered one more. A HD type of character. I can't recall the writer but the title is "Urban Knight". It's a YA book I think by the way it was written but it has a recommendation from William Shatner on the cover. I know there's a second one out some place but I haven't seen it.

And there is another series that might be UF. A kinda fusion of UF, alternate universe with a touch of steampunk. I say it might be UF because the tech is late 1800s or earlier 1900s. Not sure what time period UF has to be in to be UF. Looks like an English type culture but in a made up country not in London. I say a touch of steampunk because they fly in airships not airplanes but it fits with the made up culture and tech development. 

Anyway it's the Renegade Wizard series by K. E. Mills. I recently found out there's a fourth which I rejoiced about because the third sounded like the end. But Barnes and Noble didn't have it last week.

If you want plain old fantasy definitely read the series-Raines Benares- by Lisa Shearin. Or did I suggest that one already? In either case it's worth reading.
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2012, 02:31:04 AM »
I'm not sure whether to class Randall Garrett's alternate history "Lord Darcy" stories as Steampunk, or precursors of Steampunk. In the alternate universe, magic works, which has held back the development of technology to the point that by the 1950s, the world's technology base was just getting to where it was in Victorian times, in our timeline.  Both Garrett's original stories, and the continuations written by Michael Kurland are good reads, though.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 23, 2012, 04:26:56 AM »
I loved the Lord D'Arcy series. I was unaware that anyone had continued them. I will have to look for the Michael Kurland stories.