Author Topic: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?  (Read 42601 times)

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
Re: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2012, 12:30:23 AM »
What's really funny is I wrote a scene with a giant spider in my UF novel....

As for Spiders, I'm so bad, that I've never been able to watch the movie "Eight Legged Freaks" for more than five minutes and if spiders are on the screen , I am gone!

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2012, 01:00:07 AM »
When I was in Okinawa I had a cane spider living in my house. The first time I saw it out of the corner of my eye was while getting a drink of milk from the fridge. It freaked the hell out of me, the thing was bigger than my open hand.

I emptied half a can of raid on the thing, and I swear to Zuul it shrugged at me. It just went 'meh'. So I made a deal with it (there was no way I was going to smush something that big). I told it "If you leave me alone, I'll leave you alone." Besides it ate the giant flying roaches common in Okinawa, so I did get one benefit from the deal.

It worked out fine until the inspector came to check my household goods when I was transferred. I forgot to warn her about the spider  ::) and she met it alone in a different room. I've never before or since heard such a scream.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 10:42:47 AM by R. S. Leergaard »
Dance on, md

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #137 on: June 01, 2012, 06:35:31 AM »

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »
When I was in Okinawa I had a cane spider living in my house. The first time I saw it out of the corner of my eye was while getting a drink of milk from the fridge. It freaked the hell out of me, the thing was bigger than my open hand.

I emptied half a can of raid on the thing, and I swear to Zuul it shrugged at me. It just went 'meh'. So I made a deal with it (there was no way I was going to smush something that big). I told it "If you leave me alone, I'll leave you alone." Besides it ate the giant flying roaches common in Okinawa, so I did get one benefit from the deal.

It worked out fine until the inspector came to check my household goods when I was transferred. I forgot to warn her about the spider  ::) and she met it alone in a different room. I've never before or since heard such a scream.  ;D

Hahaha...this is too good - and way too creepy!  The poor inspector.  I feel that person's trauma.  :o
"I exist, therefore, I obsess."

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »
I didn't blame her for screaming, I yelled too, the first time I saw it. They're not poisonous, they're just freaking huge.  :-\
Dance on, md

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2012, 02:45:37 PM »
Sorry, I should have included you in my sympathys as I did for the inspector.  Who wouldn't scream?  I did the first time I saw a wolf spider, which is about the same size as you describe...as big as a hand.  Luckily, the thing was not in my home.  I'm not sure how I would have reacted, except to scream bloody hell and run.  I figured if I attacked it with Raid, it would have looked at me with all those little beady eyes and charged.  Ewww...and gross.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2012, 02:59:13 PM »
i think if i saw somethig that big even i would scream
btw wolf spider cool
what have you seen my name and avatar?

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2012, 03:12:37 PM »
Of course, I've noticed your avatar.  And I did think of you when I mentioned the wolf spider.  LOL!  But in a good way.  These spiders are huge and hairy but they are harmless.  Just scary.   ;)  You aren't scary, are you?  You seem nice...  :)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2012, 03:14:54 PM »
no i am not sceary i could not be sceary if i tried
glasses rely do not help with that they gust make me look a bit geeky
but i am okay with that
aw i blush
well i do not normaly get worked up by spiders espcaly the harmless ones
wasps on the othe hand * shudders*

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 01, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »
Sorry, I should have included you in my sympathys as I did for the inspector.  Who wouldn't scream?  I did the first time I saw a wolf spider, which is about the same size as you describe...as big as a hand.  Luckily, the thing was not in my home.  I'm not sure how I would have reacted, except to scream bloody hell and run.  I figured if I attacked it with Raid, it would have looked at me with all those little beady eyes and charged.  Ewww...and gross.

Your response was ok, zuriel. I laughed too, but I was used to the spider by then. It was supposed to be a funny story. The two Okinawan packers laughed the butts off once they understood what had happened.

The first time I saw it was a different story. I laughed then, too. But not until my heart slowed down.  ;) :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:31:23 PM by R. S. Leergaard »
Dance on, md

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2012, 04:51:55 PM »
Your response was ok, zuriel. I laughed too, but I was used to the spider by then. It was supposed to be a funny story. The two Okinawan packers laughed the butts off once they understood what had happened.

The first time I saw it was a different story. I laughed then, too. But not until my heart slowed down.  ;) :)

I would only have laughed after cleaning up the splatter from emptying my magazine.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #146 on: June 01, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »
 ::) shecky  ::) :P ;D

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »
::) shecky  ::) :P ;D

Hey, I'm with Shecky -- only I would use TWO magazines or a SPAS-12 shotgun..... ;) :D

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2012, 05:00:33 PM »
i think this is exstream and you are worse then my little sister the paer of you
but hay what ever i am leaving you to it

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2012, 05:37:44 PM »
i think this is exstream and you are worse then my little sister the paer of you
but hay what ever i am leaving you to it

I see someone has fallen prey to the "spiders are cute and fluffy and good for you and nice-smelling" propaganda.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.