Author Topic: Magic and Technology  (Read 56642 times)

Offline cybrgrl

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Magic and Technology
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2007, 08:44:34 PM »
Here's the thing.  I'm a computer programmer.  Have been for over a decade.  That means that I not only am familiar with computers, but that I often have to "think like" a computer.

Wouldn't that suggest that I might think "Gee... I should be able to enchant my computer to protect it from magic, no matter what my teacher says."?

I have the impression that you can't put wards on technology.  I imagine that the magic involved in either the act of creating the ward or the functioning of the ward itself would mess up the technology.  If it could be done, I would have expected Harry to put wards on the Blue Beetle by now.

If understanding the technology mitigates the disruptive effects of magic, then we must ask what level of understanding is required?  Would you need to know the tolerances of all the transistors and wires, the circuit board design, and so forth?  If so, then very few people could reach the level of understanding necessary to safeguard even simple modern technology from magic.

However, you could put your computer in a circle (see Dead Beat), maybe a permanent one such as the summoning circle in Harry's lab.  That would let it function even with a strong magic user in the room, but wouldn't let the magic user sit down and browse the web.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 09:06:12 PM by cybrgrl »

Offline Mario Di Giacomo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2007, 08:49:48 PM »
What about something like a grounding strap, that the wizard can put on to use tech normally?  Maybe Harry's could be made of copper discs... :D
Mario Di Giacomo

Offline cybrgrl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2007, 08:55:34 PM »
What about something like a grounding strap, that the wizard can put on to use tech normally?  Maybe Harry's could be made of copper discs... :D

Heh.  Good idea.  We've seen Harry ground magic (White Night).  I can envision a wizard clipping on a cable and willing the magic to dissipate before entering a room with technology.  That might let him use the technology for  a while.

cybrgrl
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 12:57:47 AM by cybrgrl »

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2007, 08:57:41 PM »
I have the impression that you can't put wards on technology.  I imagine that the magic involved either the act of creating the ward or the functioning of the ward itself would mess up the technology.  If it could be done, I would have expected Harry to put wards on the Blue Beetle by now.

If understanding the technology mitigates the disruptive effects of magic, then we must ask what level of understanding is required?  Would you need to know the tolerances of all the transistors and wires, the circuit board design, and so forth?  If so, then very few people could reach the level of understanding necessary to safeguard even simple modern technology from magic.

However, you could put your computer in a circle (see Dead Beat), maybe a permanent one such as the summoning circle in Harry's lab.  That would let it function even with a strong magic user in the room, but wouldn't let the magic user sit down and browse the web.
You know, I wonder if wireless/bluetooth keyboard and mouse would work through a summoning circle. you could shield the pc, but still surf the web using the easily replaceable keyboard and mouse.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline cybrgrl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2007, 09:11:07 PM »
You know, I wonder if wireless/bluetooth keyboard and mouse would work through a summoning circle. you could shield the pc, but still surf the web using the easily replaceable keyboard and mouse.

Ha!  Good idea!  I think it might work because we've seen devices that rely on a wireless signal work from within a circle (Dead Beat).  Woo!  You may have come up with a way for wizards to use computers! 

Now, I expect you would go through a LOT of keyboards... but consider the possibility for voice recognition software...

Offline x-tricks

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2007, 09:51:08 PM »
One way to look at magic – if you want to try and make it logical or follow the currently understood laws of physics and nature – is that it may affect the natural tendency of things to break down, go wrong or wear out.  So, when Harry, or a mage is near a light bulb, which radically increases its chances of burring out right then.  And the more infused with magic (not necessarily obviously more powerful), the greater that tendency is.

Magic is, after all, the manipulation of extremely unlikely events – among other more boom/flash effects.  Magic can create good and bad luck, miracles etc.

Modern technology is rather delicate – the effect of a chip or a logic board deciding to go on the blink at a particular moment is more catastrophic than say, one hinge on a door.  The door may work, if poorly but few computers can handle a logic board crash.

As to what magicians believe about how they affect technology on an individual level – well, that’s theory.

IMO – there shouldn’t be a way to keep technology safe from magic in this particular game. It starts to get too WoD and munchkin if you’ve got the magic/technology détente going on.  In this game, if you want magic, you give up telephones and iPods. If you want iPods, you give up magic.

And, magic isn’t necessarily stronger than tech – because the strength of magic depends totally on the strength of the person using it.  Sure, in the books we see Dresden slinging uber-powerful shields around but remember, he’s the crem-de-la-crem.  Most players, starting out, will not be nearly o powerful, and may never achieve that level of strength. 
Extrodinary Solutions to Ordinary Problems

Offline Mario Di Giacomo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2007, 10:25:55 PM »
IMO – there shouldn’t be a way to keep technology safe from magic in this particular game. It starts to get too WoD and munchkin if you’ve got the magic/technology détente going on.  In this game, if you want magic, you give up telephones and iPods. If you want iPods, you give up magic.

Wizpods are more Diane Duane's shtick, anyway :)
Mario Di Giacomo

Offline Samldanach

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2007, 02:14:01 PM »
Hmm.  I tend to think the wireless/bluetooth option wouldn't work so well.  That is some pretty finicky technology, even with no magic around.  I think it would lose the connection often enough to be more frustrating than useful.  The voice recognition software, though, is certainly an option.  You'd have to end up with a techie who is willing to set up the computer, and patiently train the wizard on how to use it.  Basically, I think, from a game standpoint, you'd either have to have the techie be another PC (which makes most any gain the wizard gets from the computer be a wash at best), or some kind of dedicated ally (meaning the character isn't as good at being wizardly).  Since the computer itself can't be enchanted, it would be hard to work up any kind of potentially game-breaking synergy.

And, of course, it wouldn't help either the Blue Beetle (you can't drive a car and keep it inside a circle) or the phone (too many pieces of the phone system would be outside the protective circle).

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2007, 01:56:41 AM »
And, of course, it wouldn't help either the Blue Beetle (you can't drive a car and keep it inside a circle)

Why not?
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline Samldanach

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2007, 01:02:47 PM »
Er, because the car moves, and the circle doesn't?   ???

Offline cybrgrl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2007, 01:12:36 PM »
Quote from: Samldanach on April 11, 2007, 10:14:01 AM
And, of course, it wouldn't help either the Blue Beetle (you can't drive a car and keep it inside a circle)
Why not?

Samldanach Er, I mean Slife, how would you keep the car in a circle while driving?

cybrgrl
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 03:22:21 PM by cybrgrl »

Offline Mario Di Giacomo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2007, 02:43:23 PM »
Inscribe anti-magic wards on the doors?
Mario Di Giacomo

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2007, 09:09:48 PM »
Why not?

Samldanach Er, I mean Slife, how would you keep the car in a circle while driving?

cybrgrl

Weld a steel circle along the undercarage.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline cybrgrl

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Magic and Technology - encircling the Blue Beetle
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2007, 10:05:46 PM »
Weld a steel circle along the undercarage.

Thus encircling the engine, I assume.  But, the wires, tubes, mounts and things would stick out from the engine to the rest of the car, thus breaking the circle.

If you welded on a circle large enough to encompass the whole car, then you may indeed block out magic.  However, a magic user in the car would make the whole construct moot at best.  Circles hold magic in just as well as they hold it out.    Anyway, parking would be hell.

cybrgrl

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
Re: Magic and Technology - encircling the Blue Beetle
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2007, 11:37:30 PM »
Thus encircling the engine, I assume.  But, the wires, tubes, mounts and things would stick out from the engine to the rest of the car, thus breaking the circle.

If you welded on a circle large enough to encompass the whole car, then you may indeed block out magic.  However, a magic user in the car would make the whole construct moot at best.  Circles hold magic in just as well as they hold it out.    Anyway, parking would be hell.

cybrgrl

Didn't say it was flawless, but it is a way to keep a car in a circle while driving. ;oP
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]