Author Topic: Aspects {Potential Book Spoilers}  (Read 7934 times)

Offline Wilgar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Aspects {Potential Book Spoilers}
« on: June 23, 2007, 04:04:56 AM »
Just curious what people think the aspects will be for some of the characters in the Dresden RPG.

I guess Harry has the aspect for breaking the First Law once upon a time.

Some others:

"Murphyonic Field"-  Self explanatory.
"The Stars are Right"-  Harry has some strange connection to outsiders (O R'lyeh? Ya R'lyeh!)
"I Am The Law"-  Warden Status
"Pizza Lord"-  Harry's got backup in the Nevernever, yo.

How about some others, and for other characters.

EDIT:  Oops, breaking the Laws give a stunt, not an aspect.  My mistake.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 05:57:51 AM by Wilgar »

Offline Brodie

• Conversationalist
  • Book-Harry must be jealous of TV-Harry
    • View Profile
Re: Aspects {Potential Book Spoilers}
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 06:50:25 AM »
For Murphy, she'd probably have an aspect like "COP". Maybe "Loyal Friend". Michael would likely have "Loyal Friend", too, as well as "Knight of the Cross" because come on, he OWNS that title.
Wile E. Coyote, Suuuuuuuper genius!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 01:57:09 PM »
Folks should think in terms of:

- What's the character's "central conflict"? (e.g., Michael's might be: Duty to God vs. Duty to My Family)
- What are some of the signature quotes or images of that character? (e.g., "The Building Was On Fire And It Wasn't My Fault")
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline hollow49

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 04:38:41 PM »
I was thinking this over the other day. I'm not sure what the aspects are, but as at book 1 one of them is almost certainly "The Doom of Damocles". After book 1 I would say that one got replaced, probably with something like "Romancing the Reporter" or simply "Susan". In turn that would evolve to "Lost Love" around the end of book 3 (it was a driving force for Harry in book 4 and saved him in book 6) but as his relationship with Murphy is helping him move onwards, it probably no longer applies as one of the top 10 factors in his life after that point. I would switch it out with a Thomas-related aspect at this point (I'm assuming that we're going with a very limited increase in Aspects here.) His maimed hand was definitely an aspect in book 6, but not anymore (it doesn't really limit him anymore), while Lasciel definitely became an aspect in some form in/after book 7 ("Marked by Lasciel", "Shadow of the Fallen" etc.). Other possible "acquired" aspects from growth in the books - "Warden", "Debt to Winter", "Apprentice under the Doom", perhaps an aspect about his growing reputation in supernatural circles, and possibly after the events of WN
(click to show/hide)

Offline mikeryan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 05:13:06 PM »

EDIT:  Oops, breaking the Laws give a stunt, not an aspect.  My mistake.

Nothing says it can't be both. From what I know of the system, backing up your stunts with related aspects is a heck of a good idea.

Some other aspects for Harry:

"Call me old fashioned but..." - applies to his dealings with women in general, but also the specific instances when he gets in way over his head because a girl needed his help.

Magical Thug - in pretty much every book, he describes himself as having plenty of magical muscle, but little finesse. This aspect is invoked when tossing raw power around, and can be compelled whenever he tries something subtle. The various instances where he does pull off something subtle are perfect examples of a player buying off a compel, since he usually describes how unused he is to working with magic like that.

Lanky - Harry is really tall. He uses his height in pretty much every book, describing reach advantages in hand-to-hand combat, running speed and more. Since learning about aspects, every time I see one of those passages I think "that's an aspect invocation".