Author Topic: We're Back, Tenderly  (Read 9358 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
We're Back, Tenderly
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:11:33 PM »
So... we're back. Hopefully there's only been a couple days' worth of posts lost at most.

Things are still a little shaky -- not everything that was in place is back in place -- but we are on a new server (with healthy, RAID-ed disks and twice the memory), with better direct control over our name service and server functions. It's a good start.

I can't predict whether or not something serious will crop up that'll need a "restart" (i.e., another database roll-back) in the interim. In the short term, I've disabled the search function (sorry about that) and may turn off other features in order to manage server load as tightly as possible. I've also got to get certain backup procedures back in place (in addition to the new ones) in order to make sure we're ship shape in case another debacle hits us.

But the good news -- beyond forum upness -- is that we're back, and we're no longer saddled with Midphase, our former service provider. Now we're with the lean, mean operation of M5 Hosting, and I can already tell I'm likely to be happier with them.

So, go gentle, folks. But go!

(And remember, buying stuff from the jim-butcher.com store kicks back sales referral fees to me that helps pay for the site.)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: We're Back, Tenderly
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »
I've re-enabled search (though you can't do more than one search per minute, per user), experimentally. It'll get disabled again if I start to see performance problems.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/