Author Topic: Sponsored Magic: Reynard the Fox (Trickster Spirit)  (Read 1387 times)

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Sponsored Magic: Reynard the Fox (Trickster Spirit)
« on: January 05, 2012, 08:09:03 PM »
I'm working on a Sponsored Magic for a player of mine who wants to play a trickster archetype. Since we're running in a London setting, he decided he'd like to represent the traditional European trickster Reynard the Fox.  Deception is kind of hard to represent as a theme, though, and perhaps a bit narrow, so I decided Reynard could also be somewhat representative of the forests and natural areas foxes live in, perhaps even with some connections to the fae (or being a powerful fae himself).  This would give his magic some similarity to Summer Court magic, but with its own themes and twist.

I'm thinking that for evocation, this would give him effectively Wood and Spirit as elements, and for thaumaturgy (possibly at evo speeds), illusions, veils, and biomancy.  I'm not sure if that's too broad, too narrow, or just right.  Also, most sponsored magics seem to have some additional minor benefit (+1 to power for a certain type of magic, weakening enemy faction's toughness powers, etc.), and I'm really not sure what would be suitable here.

Any input, guys?

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic: Reynard the Fox (Trickster Spirit)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »
I would just go with Glamours, it gives you all the trickster things you want to do
Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:32:10 PM »
If you have your heart set on using Sponsored Magic, you might find this useful.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:09:57 AM »
If you have your heart set on using Sponsored Magic, you might find this useful.

That's an interesting write-up, but it feels too malevolent for what we want.  My player and I are looking to make something a bit more on the fun and playful side - the kind of trickster who will bring down prideful people and enjoys a good joke, but is generally a nice guy if you don't piss him off.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:40:58 AM »
I'm thinking that for evocation, this would give him effectively Wood and Spirit as elements, and for thaumaturgy (possibly at evo speeds), illusions, veils, and biomancy.  I'm not sure if that's too broad, too narrow, or just right.  Also, most sponsored magics seem to have some additional minor benefit (+1 to power for a certain type of magic, weakening enemy faction's toughness powers, etc.), and I'm really not sure what would be suitable here.

Any input, guys?
Strictly speaking, the element / specialty would be his sponsor's Purpose.  That can be both more an less limiting than splitting it up into the elements / specialties you're discussing.  But remember (GS spoiler): 
(click to show/hide)
  In any case, the Wikipedia article on Reynard the Fox suggests he was a "peasant hero character" whose targets were typically clergy and nobility (the powers of the times).  I'd suggest making that your purpose.  Wrap it up in an aspect and you'll also have your element / specialty.  Something like "Fool the Powerful" or whatever fits your concept.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
This is one of my favorite characters from folklore.

I played a version of Reynard in a game for a while (escaped the wild hunt but lost much of his power doing so).  Glamours/greater glamours worked very well for what I wanted to do.  If you do go the Sponsored Magic route, I'd suggest having items made from Reynard's enemies.  Things like Tybalt's Paws for gloves, Bruin's cloak, etc.

In the stories he really wasn't a spirit of the woodland.  He was a rural character, but largely rural in that he lived and interacted in what would have been rural fiefdoms.  Sure, it took place in a forest but it was the least forest-y forest out there. 

Reynard was a conartist and thief.  Things he would deal with would likely be trickery, glamours, athletics, and traps (he often used these to dispatch his enemies). 

It should be noted that Reynard rarely fought anything.  When he killed something it was either something rather below him (like a rabbit or chicken, which he was fond of eating) or he did so by conning or luring them into traps.  This may make it difficult to model (or at least play a model of) with Dresden style sponsored magic.

Offline mithrandirthewhite

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 10:48:14 PM »
An alternative suggestion could be Robin Goodfellow a.k.a. Puck
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »
An alternative suggestion could be Robin Goodfellow a.k.a. Puck

This may indeed be a better option, more akin to a tradition trickster.  Also, Puck's magic was far more direct than any sponsored by Reynard could be.

Although, to be honest, I'd just use Seelie magic and choose spells which are especially tricksterish in that case.  You wouldn't have to though.  Puck is often shown to be a different being than his masters.