Author Topic: Spiderman was never my favorite superhero  (Read 4314 times)

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
Spiderman was never my favorite superhero
« on: December 29, 2011, 04:16:17 AM »
I must say that I am more of Flash/Batman/Blue Beatle fan.  spiderman was a little too ... I don't know. It just did not have the right flavor.  After reading darkest hours I must say that I am developing an affection for the character.  Jim lent spiderman some much needed cool factor. 8). Anybody else find themselves enjoying the company of Peter Parker after reading?
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Spiderman was never my favorite superhero
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 02:00:43 AM »
For me there were only 3 superheroes growing up.  The Super, the Bat, and the Spider.  Superman was fun to read on occasion, but too powerful.  Batman is obviously the best.  But a close second was Spiderman, who was powerful, but fallible.  And he always seemed to be facing someone stronger than him, and he had to use both strength and wits to win. 

Jim's portrayal of PP/Spiderman was on point, in that he conveyed that he was a regular guy, who had abilities, but they weren't enough to guarantee victory against whoever he faced.  I particularly liked his portrayal of Rhino, who clearly was stronger than Spiderman, yet was always foiled because of his temper.  Seeing a deeper side to Rhino was refreshing, much more so than the attempt at explaining away all of the villains in the Spiderman 3 movie.  And like classic Spiderman story lines, he found himself on the losing side, outnumbered, and on the verge of defeat.  And yet he finds a way to pull it off. 

What really did it for me was the balance between Spiderman saving the city from supervillains, and Peter Parker saving the day for citizens.  He was a role model both as a man and as a hero.  I liked the fact that Parker had concerns other than making money for rent and stopping bad guys.  Too often the Spiderman secondary plot is just him trying to make a living.  But JB made his secondary plot just as heroic as the primary plot, and he didn't need powers to do it.  That's why I hope that JB gets another opportunity to do more Spiderman, either in another book, or maybe trying something new as a story author for a comic book story arc.

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
Re: Spiderman was never my favorite superhero
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »
Jim's take on Spidey is one of the best I've ever read.  He respected the character's roots, borrowed from established cannon, and kept it FUN.  Spidey and Rhino in the apartment having tea remains one of the most awesome scenes I've ever read.  Far too many writers seem to think Spidey needs to spend 50% of his time moping about how hard his life and how guilty he feels over X event be it recent or ancient history and it ends up depressing.  I don't want emo spidey, emo spidey bad.
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++