Author Topic: NeverNever Encounters  (Read 1796 times)

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
NeverNever Encounters
« on: December 19, 2011, 06:03:20 PM »
Emerald City and Mystical Seattle peeps keep out unless you want the game spoiled!!!

I mean it!!!

So in my current DFRPG game the party is going to go after the Big Bad to stop him from performing a ritual that will open a passage for an Outsider. The other supernaturals in the city are launching a frontal assault on the Big Bad's cannibal thralls to draw them away while the PCs sneak in through passages in the NeverNever. What I need are some ideas for encounters on that hazardous journey.

I already figured I would have them travel through a corner of Muspelheim where they will have to evade a few fire giants. But does anyone else have any ideas for some weird or cool corners of the NeverNever? Anything could work since we have established in our game that the Seattle Underground is a vast nexus of NeverNever passages. Thanks.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: NeverNever Encounters
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:33:37 PM »
Hey, cool, someone else is using Muspelheim.

Random ideas for stuff to run into:

-A sphinx with a riddle to ask.
-A profoundly enormous beast just walking by, possibly stepping on you.
-A small tornado.
-Hostile elementals.
-An ocean of acid blocking your path.

As for places, check out the Travel Guide on the wiki.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 10:00:39 PM »
Consider your Baddie's background, and what might be his theme of defense.  Those who have read Ghost Story know an example where someone's defenses match that of their personal history.

So for example, if your Baddie was the ghost of a Spartan, his defenses in the NN could consider of 300 warriors.  Or a gangster necromancer could have a zombie thug horde.

It's literally the confines of your imagination.  A few ideas I can think of (mostly from D&D 3.5, Narnia, and Middle Earth):
-Seelie Elves
-Unseelie Hobs
-Grendelkin (see the short story Heorot)
-Frost Giants
-Giant Spiders
-Basilisk or Medusa
-a Gruff
-Giant Eagles/Pegasus/Sphynx
-Phoenix

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 10:04:59 PM »
A Disney inspired fairyland - something like where Peter Pan lived.

A cute, smurf village like place.

Any cute place that is so obviously not threatening that the players assume that it must be a trap.

Richard

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:58:14 PM »
Consider your Baddie's background, and what might be his theme of defense.  Those who have read Ghost Story know an example where someone's defenses match that of their personal history.

Good advice.  I am using Sawney Beane as my villain. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawney_Bean

He was a Red Cap changeling who made a deal with some Outsiders to gain power.  He was defeated by the combined forces of the Seelie and Unseelie courts as well as a human army led by James I of England.  He has recently been resurrected and is a being that causes madness and an insatiable hunger for flesh in his victims.  His main goal is to open a passage into our existence with a powerful ritual. 

I already have plans for his main defenses but wanted some odd and fun NeverNever encounters for my players to deal with before they face off against him.  They need not be monsters or anything either.  I like the tornado idea and the ocean of acid for example. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:59:45 PM by HumAnnoyd »

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:32:09 PM »
From skimming over the wikipedia entry, a thought comes to mind: Sawney Bean's offspring. According to the entry, there where quite a lot of them, which could be his actual offspring, or it could be 1 entity that is able to spawn more of itself. Bonus if it looks like a creepy kid (like Village of the Damned).

For puzzles, I always liked the everchanging maze, common in pc adventure games. A headache and a half to plan, but your players are going to crack their skulls over it, too. The idea is, that it is not only important where you are going, it is also important where you are coming from. So if you enter an intersection from the north and leave to the south, you would enter the same intersection from the east. If you go south again, you are at a dead end, but if you leave the dead end, you appear at a 3 way intersection. And so forth. It is kind of tricky to map out all the ways, but it is doable.

“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 12:05:09 AM »
From skimming over the wikipedia entry, a thought comes to mind: Sawney Bean's offspring. According to the entry, there where quite a lot of them, which could be his actual offspring, or it could be 1 entity that is able to spawn more of itself. Bonus if it looks like a creepy kid (like Village of the Damned).

Oh hell yeah!  I had originally planned on using them but as the adventure continued and changed and morphed I lost track of that train of thought.  I will DEFINITELY have to use them in a Village of the Damned kind of way.  Thanks!

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 12:17:39 AM »
Someone made a similar thread not too long ago. It's pretty bursting with stuff one might find in the Nevernever.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,28900.0.html

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 05:06:32 PM »
Someone made a similar thread not too long ago. It's pretty bursting with stuff one might find in the Nevernever.

That is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you Sinker.