Author Topic: The Lady of the Lake  (Read 3041 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
The Lady of the Lake
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:46:29 AM »
I am trying to Stat out the Lady of the Lake from the Arthur myths so she can pop up a DF game. I have her aspects but does anyone have any ideas for stats.

The Lady of the Lake/ Nimue
High Concept: Lady of Rain and Mist
Other Aspects: Patron of Knights; Ruler of Avalon ; Crafter of Legends, Enamored by Mortals, 

Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The Lady of the Lake
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:48:44 AM »
She should be a fairy, so you should think about her affiliation, Summer or Winter or even some other Court. She could easily be the Queen of Spring or something like this...

Offline Anher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:05:57 PM »
I'll have to dig into my Arthurian stuff for anything useful, but the suggestion of having her be affiliated with a seperate court is decent.

Offline Wolfhound

• Participant
  • Trí Dhia a mhaireann an mhuintir go deo
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 05:02:21 PM »
Well first you have to decide which myths you're going with.

Assuming you run with the Fae idea, like the Erlking she could easily just be a powerful Wyldfae of the "Court of Avalon"

-1 Demesne (her realm beneath the lake, a gateway to the Nevernever)
-4 Avalon Magic (variant of Seelie/Unseelie Magic: essential nature: water/mist, healing, protection, veils, imbuing arms & armor)
-2 Glamours (or the -4 version if you think representing Excalibur et al as a "True Seemings" would be better*)
-1 Aquatic (should be obvious as to why)
-1 The Sight + Soulgaze (she had the ability to look into men/knight's souls in one way or another and judge them worthy or not)
-? Various Physical Augmentations as per your taste as a GM (Speed, Strength, Toughness) with iron as The Catch as per usual

* From a GM/Plot point of view having any kind of magic item granted to the Party for plot purposes as a True Seeming may be better, because then at the end of the story arc, it simply dissolves back into ectoplasm and it's out of play.
Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd
#6 Top Campaign on Obsidian Portal, 200+ fans
2011 December Campaign of the Month (Campaign of the Year runner-up)
Won't y'all come on by and join the fun?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:06:43 PM »
Thanks I was thinking Wild or Summer Fae probably about equal to a Lady of the Summer or Winter Court in term of power, using true Seeming for the crafting is a great idea because it means I don't have to stat the ability to craft IoPs.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline theshrewedshrew

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:09:46 PM »
Its been a few days, since anyone replied here, but about 2 weeks ago I was also wondering about The Lady of The Lake, How Wolfhound stats her seems reasonable, but I also think that she might have power from another few sources, I think Avalon Magic is amazing, I said her Demesne, is actually Avalon, and she has a few old things about her.

She has a lot more going for her than most fae. I mean sure Spenser, and Grimm helped the Fae, but nothing close to the scale of Arthur.

I don't know if I would give her a court or call it specifically the Circle of Avalon, a court of human and fae alike. Working together for God, and all kind. ;p (Take that with a grain of salt)

I made an emmisary, hoping eventually to gain some either sponsored magic, or Glamours, from Avalon's Fae Queen or Ruler the Lady of the Lake. You might check him out and drop some comments if you think of anything worthwhile.

Great to see someone else with a similar opinion.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 03:37:05 AM »
Plot Device.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »
The most recent Simon R Green nightside paperback - A Hard Day's Knight - deals with the Lady of the Lake.   No, it's not Dresden but Jim lists that author as one he reads.

What follows is an interesting idea for the Lady of the Lake - using spoiler tags that only apply to A Hard Day's Knight (and a bit to his Drinking the Midnight Wine book) and has no impact one anything that directly relates to Dresden:
(click to show/hide)

Richard

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 03:27:02 PM »

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 03:41:14 PM »
Plot Device.

True but so is are Maeve, the Loup Garou and Harry and they still stat them.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »
True but so is are Maeve, the Loup Garou and Harry and they still stat them.

No. Maeve is a Lady of Winter, Harry is a wizard, and the loup garou is a top end foe.

None of those are plot device level foes.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 06:17:43 PM »
No. Maeve is a Lady of Winter, Harry is a wizard, and the loup garou is a top end foe.

None of those are plot device level foes.

Maeve is the lady of winter a millennia old elemental force, a focus of a large chunk of the raw power of a season her full power is incredible we just haven't seen it used properly. The loup garou is unstoppable you could nuke it and it would come out unscathed it was created by a divinely powerful curse. Not to mention Harry Dresden who is the focus of the DV world, he is fawned over by creature of 'godlike' power from across the spectrum from Heaven to Hell to elsewhere and beyond and he seems to has access to as much power as the plot demands. Are you really saying these three characters don't count out as plot devices (narrative tools)?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:26:32 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »
Maeve is the lady of winter a millennia old elemental force, a focus of a large chunk of the raw power of a season her full power is incredible we just haven't seen it used properly. The loup garou is unstoppable you could nuke it and it would come out unscathed it was created by a divinely powerful curse. Not to mention Harry Dresden who is the focus of the DV world, he is fawned over by creature of 'godlike' power from across the spectrum from Heaven to Hell to elsewhere and beyond and he seems to has access to as much power as the plot demands. Are you really saying these three characters don't count out as plot devices (narrative tools)?
I think we may not all be on the same page where it comes to the term "Plot Device".
Ways & Means seems to define it as "any character that a large plot or series of plots can revolve around,, due to their power, motivation, or reputation."

But I think Silverblaze may be defining it as, "Any character, item, or location of such overwhelming power and/or position that a GM must make judgement calls about their actions such as to convey such power without causing player de-emphasis."

They are very close in concept, but of Ways' examples, I would only count Maeve as approaching the level of plot device, although technically Aurora, of similar power, was taken out by a small swarm of Pixies with boxcutters.

The second definition might be better named  "Total Plot Device" do differentiate the two meanings of the phrase.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 08:22:35 PM »

Yes. I am 100% saying that.

Especially if you look at stats given in the book OW.

Novel spoilers ahead!

(click to show/hide)
  Look at his suggested refresh in OW by the time Fool Moon is over.

Now, look at Mab, Erlking, Titania, etc.  They don't get stats. 
(click to show/hide)
That is where the Lady of the Lake should be.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 01:22:16 AM »
Just as food for thought, it could be argued that some of those events you used as evidence that their targets weren't plot devices were themselves plot devices.  :)

As to the Queens in particular, OW41 says this:
A Lady is easily as powerful as a Senior Council wizard.
A Queen is as powerful as an old god, an Archangel, or the entire White Council while in Faerie; plot device territory. Outside of Faerie, they’re probably only as powerful as the entire Senior Council.
A Mother is really most sincerely a plot device.

You know, with all of the vagarities that crop up in DFRPG discussion, I find it amusing that there is actually RAW settling the question of the relative degree of plot-deviceness of the Queens. :p

Note also that WoJ states that the White Council (all of them; every wizard on the planet) might have a chance against Mab -- but only outside of Faerie and only if they had her True Name and only if all of her countless Fae minions stood back and watched.  So that's pretty darn plot-devicey in my book.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,11012.msg462610.html#msg462610