Author Topic: introduicng the nevernever  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Theodore Rockwell

• Participant
    • View Profile
introduicng the nevernever
« on: December 13, 2011, 01:17:44 AM »
I am planning on using the library http://dfrpg-resources.wikispaces.com/Nevernever+Location+The+Library for an info dump for the players as the next major step of the story, but im not sure how to introduce the nevernever into the game.  There are no changlings in the group.  They have had interactions with a small variety of fey that are hiding from the courts.  I have already started them on a chain of events looking for a specific book that is one of a kind.  after they have dealt with the problems currently at hand, see my other post combat variety, they are going to be visiting a family that has possible ties with Baba Yaga in search of the book.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: introduicng the nevernever
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 01:55:58 AM »
You could introduce them to a world walker NPC.

Or to a NPC who has either Thaumaturgy or the right brand of rituals.

Or they could bargain with the Fae for entry into the other world.  And almost every supernatural type (including White Court vampires) can find their way there in certain places.

If it's the topic itself that you're concerned with, a world walker or some sort of practitioner could be a source of information.  Or any information broker might give them clues about the Nevernever's existence.

As for giving them continuous access - and enchanted item with a "open the way" Thaumaturgy ritual in it could do it, and if you drop the power by one it becomes usable by others.  But that's back to the discussion on non-practitioners having (and paying for) enchanted items.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 02:12:47 AM »
Cool, someone's using the wiki.

They could end up in the Nevernever by accident. They're walking down a hallway, and eventually it dawns that the hallway is larger than the building it's in. Then they need to survive and return from the Nevernever.

It'd make a good compel, I think.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:22:58 AM »
Cool, someone's using the wiki.

They could end up in the Nevernever by accident. They're walking down a hallway, and eventually it dawns that the hallway is larger than the building it's in. Then they need to survive and return from the Nevernever.

It'd make a good compel, I think.

I like the "Narnia" approach, especially if they've never heard/know little about the NN.  Choose where you drop them wisely though:  somewhere intriguing, challenging, but survivable.

Offline Theodore Rockwell

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 02:28:52 AM »
hm...Ive already dropped hints of the library's existence in the nightmares of a player with a story aspect of recurring nightmares (he got tricked into a soul gaze with a real nut job necromancer first session.  never thought writing nightmares would be this much fun.)  So just wandering into the Library doesnt sit too well with me, at least not yet.  Once there I am planning on spinning it like the Unseen University Library from discworld with other influences of course.  And they wont be allowed in the stacks w/o some form of payment.  In this case it will be a story that has only been passed down verbally, so it doesnt exist in the library yet.  I am confident the players can figure that one out.  They have already been told the story. 

Back on topic, two of the players are casters of some skill and one of them is part of the white council, albeit an errand boy for the council.  So they know of the nevernever's existence.  So they could also probably get there on their own then.  Just need to poke them in that direction so they know thats where the Library is.

I really like the flavor of the stuff on the wiki.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 12:50:52 AM »
Should be easy then. Next time they fail a Lore roll to know something, tell them that they know of this magical Nevernever library where they could learn what they need to know. Maybe throw in a compel to be certain. Or maybe just keep it around as an option until they take it.

Offline Mojosilver

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 04:32:14 AM »
If one of the players is dreaming about the place. i would show him/her how to get there in a dream. start the dream in a place the player knows then dream on untell the player ends up in the library. see places in the mortel world and get deja vu. or wake from the dream a need to know more about place. wash rinse repeat. untell the player gets it. that is all stuff off the top of my head. as for how to to tie that in to a story. i would need to know more about the story and players. hope that helps and made cents.