Author Topic: Bad Sex in Fiction Award 2011  (Read 1956 times)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Bad Sex in Fiction Award 2011
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:46:23 PM »
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Sex in Fiction Award 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 05:29:21 PM »
I've never liked sex in fiction...  It either A: isn't part of the plot or B: Awkward because the plot revolves around it(see Anita Blake).  There are rare exceptions to this. For instance Death Masks.  But all in all, not my thing.
This article is hilarious though.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:59:10 AM »
I've never liked sex in fiction...  It either A: isn't part of the plot or B: Awkward because the plot revolves around it(see Anita Blake).  There are rare exceptions to this. For instance Death Masks.  But all in all, not my thing.
This article is hilarious though.
Depends on the book. In Shannon Butcher's Sentinel Wars, the sex scenes are somewhat part of the plot, and they're not awkwardly done, unless the characters are feeling awkward.  Course, the difference there is that those books are paranormal romance, and sex scenes are expected.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 03:54:34 AM »
Depends on the book. In Shannon Butcher's Sentinel Wars, the sex scenes are somewhat part of the plot, and they're not awkwardly done, unless the characters are feeling awkward.  Course, the difference there is that those books are paranormal romance, and sex scenes are expected.

I will say A) I am a hetero male (Shannon herself calls me "a dude") B) Starbeam is my wife. I read The first of the Sentinel Wars Books and I didn't hate it, the sex was actually minimal and quite secondary to what is quite a good Paranormal/Urban fantasy type plot. While I won't hurry to read the next few (although I DO intend to do so) the fact that it's a Romance and , again Shannon's words to me , "Not for dudes" it IS very well written and engaging. Them Butchers can write I tell you, look for Big sister Julie's YA thriller coming soon I got to read some of that and it's REALLY good.
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 06:38:54 PM »
I read The first of the Sentinel Wars Books and I didn't hate it, the sex was actually minimal and quite secondary to what is quite a good Paranormal/Urban fantasy type plot.
Expanding on this-there's more sex in the Anita Blake books, and while it might be secondary here, it's still a bit of a plot point. Somewhat along the lines as the Merry Gentry books, but nothing so drawn out, over the top, and needlessly verbose.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 08:52:18 PM »
Them Butchers can write I tell you, look for Big sister Julie's YA thriller coming soon I got to read some of that and it's REALLY good.
She won a short fairy tale story on Miss Snark's First Victim---what a riot. She has the same sharp wit as brother Jim. So what is the name of the upcoming YA?  that little writer's house her family built her must have worked!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »
(tag, as I can't read the link at work...)
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
She won a short fairy tale story on Miss Snark's First Victim---what a riot. She has the same sharp wit as brother Jim. So what is the name of the upcoming YA?  that little writer's house her family built her must have worked!
still a WIP Meg not sure if she settled the tittle yet. I was rapt while reading it and I only got the first 100 pages.
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days