Author Topic: Preview Function Erases Text  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Preview Function Erases Text
« on: December 08, 2011, 06:39:36 PM »
Ive come across this issue a few times.  If your login settings are set to not keep you logged in permanently (its a work computer in my case), it will often log you out while you are typing a post, particularly if its long or you are checking references or something.  Then, if you click either Preview or Post, it will take you to the login screen to log back in.  When you do it will then return you to a blank Start New Topic thread in whatever board you were posting it, rather than returning you to the thread you started from, and any text in the post in progress is lost.  This gets particularly frustrating since it mostly occurs on posts that I've spent a lot of time on, and thus will have difficulty recreating.

I had a long analysis of the uses of the word "seems" but the world may never know the wisdom i was to bestow, for my lunch break is now over...  :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Preview Function Erases Text
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 07:56:28 PM »
Yes, I have the same problem several times, and it is not fun.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:23:07 AM »
After having the same problem several times, what I do now is to copy the text that I typed before I hit any buttons. That way if I get kicked out, at least all that I wrote is still there.

But it would be great if we found out what was going on. :)
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 08:18:30 AM »
I've had that sort of problem on several forums. Honestly, I'm in the habit of always copying what I've written before I submit it at this point (although I stay logged on permanently here, so it hasn't been a problem) and sometimes I'll compose posts in a word processing program, just to make sure I don't lose them. I also recommend Firefox, because I've had good luck with the back button bringing me to my "post reply" screen, with my post still intact.
This message brought to you by a cloud of neurotransmitters.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:12:56 PM »
I've had that sort of problem on several forums. Honestly, I'm in the habit of always copying what I've written before I submit it at this point (although I stay logged on permanently here, so it hasn't been a problem) and sometimes I'll compose posts in a word processing program, just to make sure I don't lose them. I also recommend Firefox, because I've had good luck with the back button bringing me to my "post reply" screen, with my post still intact.
Firefox doesnt seem to help, but I am trying to get the habit of copying my text to the clipboard before I post, so i guess a work-around is available for now.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 05:35:58 PM »
If you have firefox, you can try the addon lazarus that saves text you write in case of things like this.
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges