Author Topic: Brainstorming  (Read 1074 times)

Offline arsieiuni

• Participant
    • View Profile
Brainstorming
« on: December 24, 2011, 12:13:44 AM »
So I'm trying to brainstorm ideas for a new epic arch for my campaign.
It's set in Birmingham, Alabama. (Our nearest big city.)

My current idea involves a story where children start disappearing all over the city and it possibly looks like the Red Court are behind it (as there's a heavy RC presence in Bham) but it's actually happening because of some ghost/specter kind of creature or maybe a fae. I'm not sure.

My idea so far is to have the disappearances have some pattern to them like... the child is led away from their family by something similar each time.. maybe the first investigation, the parents are able to describe something that happened and then it is echoed in the next investigation. I want to leave a clue that will throw the party onto the Red Court however and make them think that is where they need to go.

Meanwhile, the Red Court IS involved in some nasty business and is planning a coup on the local White Court presence which is going to get just... awful.. but have nothing to do with the disappearances. I thought about going so far as maybe having the pcs find a kidnapped child if they do go to the RC but it's not actually related, just coincidental (such as a child of one of the White Court house members, being held hostage).

I want to essentially throw the party for a loop. I want to really blindside them  with a spectacularly surprising plot. But without them being just confused.

A couple stories back, I ran one where the Vulcan (the giant iron statue) was being animated to attack the city... it was really epic, everyone loved it... but in the beginning everyone was totally lost because their wizard took a couple sessions off and they didn't have a clue what was going on or why any of my hooks or setups had anything to do with them. -_- I'm trying to avoid repeating this, wizard or not.

I'd love to really discuss/brainstorm this out... but unfortunately all my RP friends are in the game. -_-
If anyone would like to help, please give me any and all feedback and ideas. I really appreciate it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Brainstorming
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 05:15:07 AM »
Well, if all else fails you can have an NPC come directly to them and tell them what to do. Like when Murphy comes to Dresden with a case. It's not subtle, but it works and it makes sense in-game.

So maybe just have some wild-eyed parent show up demanding that the party track down the kidnappers and take them apart. Since your players are fairly powerful (they have to be in order to have a wizard) it probably makes sense that people would come to them for help.