Author Topic: Did You Discover the Books Through the RPG?  (Read 2480 times)

Offline arthurfallz

• Participant
  • The Dread Duck
    • View Profile
Did You Discover the Books Through the RPG?
« on: December 08, 2011, 04:27:31 AM »
I was looking in the Book section of the main forum, and saw a thread asking about people who may have discovered the books through the TV show. I myself picked up the Dresden Files RPG because I thought it looked like an interesting game using a character intensive system. I knew not one shred about the books, or even that there was a book series. Never heard of it.

I'm slowly working my way through the books (I'm a fast reader but have way too little time), and have been playing the game for 4 months now and am still only on Summer Knight. So I'm curious - has anyone else come to the books through the game?
I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment I am proven wrong; that's called learning.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Did You Discover the Books Through the RPG?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 05:31:14 AM »
I sort-of did.

Specifically, a friend had loaned me Storm Front several years ago, but the first chapter or so didn't pull me in very well, and I returned it unfinished.

Then, about two years ago, a friend declared he'd be running a campaign of the DFRPG and invited me to join. I had already played Spirit of the Century, so I was excited by the idea of a different setting for the wonderful FATE rules (especially one with a full-fledged magic system instead of the overly generic 'mysticism' skill).  After agreeing to join my friend's game, I began reading the novels in preparation for the first session, for the sake of familiarity with the setting.

Needless to say, I was hooked after a book or two, and I gleefully devoured the series.  I've be playing DFRPG and keeping up with the latest novels and short stories (OMGIWANTCOLDDAYSNAOPLZKTHXBAI) ever since.

Offline Kiero

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 08:41:37 AM »
Kind of. I was aware of the books, but had never read them. It was in gearing up for a proposed DFRPG game (which we're now playing) that I read them all.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »
I had read up through Death Masks and was lazily picking up each novel on audiobook here and there but I kicked it into high gear when DFRPG came out.  So technically no, I came to the books first but knowing about the RPG made me devour the rest of them. :)

NicholasQuinn

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 06:47:02 PM »
The opposite. I was an avid fan of the Books, then later eventually the TV show (to a lesser extent), who decided to search one day (via google) for an RPG/game/anything based off it: and found this gem in development. I then kept track of its development via the DFRPG's website, and brought it when it came out.

I envy you Arthurfallz, the first reading of the series was the best; you've a lot to look forward to!

Offline Quackerjack

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 11:05:03 PM »
My first contact with the Dresden Files was the TV-Series, then the books & finally the RPG.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 10:37:44 AM »
The opposite. I was an avid fan of the Books, then later eventually the TV show (to a lesser extent), who decided to search one day (via google) for an RPG/game/anything based off it: and found this gem in development. I then kept track of its development via the DFRPG's website, and brought it when it came out.

same here.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 12:30:01 PM »
Huge fan of the books first, which is what led me to playtest the DFRPG.

My local cable network didn't get SciFi channel so I didn't get to watch the TV show until the DVD set came out.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 05:00:58 PM »
Yes.
 I picked up the RPG because I was looking for a version of FATE I could use to run a game in a different setting. As it turned out the way Magic works in DF made that a dead end. However it intrigued be enough that I bought the books and red them, then picked up the DVD - but I've only watched half of it
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!