Author Topic: Tossing a car.Hecatean magic  (Read 1951 times)

Offline noom777

• Participant
    • View Profile
Tossing a car.Hecatean magic
« on: December 13, 2011, 05:10:49 PM »
Here I am again for two small questions.
First:If a Troll wants to toss a car as an attack what skill it will use?
Second:A PC wants to make an Emissary of Power with Hecate as her patron.What supernatural powers do you suggest?I am thinking about a character with a supernatural power like Hecatean magic which will emphasize in curses and shadow magic providing thaumaturgical effects with the speed of evocation such as the example of the unseelie magic.How much will it costs in refresh and is it possible to gain such a thing without the Pc knowing evocation/channeling or thaumaturgy/ritual?
What do you think?
Thanks in advance!

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Tossing a car.Hecatean magic
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 05:32:13 PM »
1) Weapons.

2) I'd start by asking the player what definition of Hecate they're using.  For an example, there is a canon critter called a "hecatean hag" that shows up in the book "Welcome to the Jungle" - but which may not match the sorts of things your player is looking for.  As a note, the player character may not know all the details about who/what they've signed on with - but the player shouldn't be caught by surprise with something like "oh by the way, your sponsor is horribly evil and trying to sacrifice a few small countries for magical power" or whatever.

A normal sponsored magic power is four refresh*, and does not require other spellcasting powers.  Curses and shadow magic seems like a reasonably narrow domain; if that's what you want, I'd say, go for it; that doesn't seem like the sort of thing that needs to be more expensive.

*Footnote: Four refresh is if you don't have Evocation or Thaumaturgy; reduce the price by one for each of those powers that you have.  So adding a normal sponsored magic on top of a full Wizard template would cost only two refresh, for example.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »
1) Weapons.

But make sure he has enough Might (Including Strength power bonuses) to use said car as a weapon...
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »
I would, in fact, use Weapons modified by Might.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 10:50:38 PM »
I would, in fact, use Weapons modified by Might.
Quote from: YS321
A character can carry something two levels below his Might for  a  short  distance  (allowing  him  to make  a sprint  roll  restricted by Might, with  the  item’s difficulty as a border value). He can carry something  four  levels below his Might with no real penalty  or  can  toss  it  a  distance  of  one  zone. Something six  levels below his Might could be used as a thrown weapon.
NOTE: A compact car is listed as +8 (Legendary) Might to lift.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 12:14:59 AM »
NOTE: A compact car is listed as +8 (Legendary) Might to lift.
Which would mean that generally, only those with Mythic Strength can throw around cars, I guess, since even Supernatural Strength + Hulking Size maxes out at 5(base)+6(strength)+2(hulking)=13 Might, and 14 would be needed to toss the (small) car. 

I suppose it would be reasonable to create a stunt that grants a bonus to Might for the purposes of maximum throwing weight, but even so this still seems overly restrictive.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 12:37:31 AM »
Well, I'd actually make a distinction there - there's thrown weapon, and there's lifted up and dropped on someone weapon.  The latter doesn't get a zone of range, but is well within reach of supernatural strength.  I'm perfectly happy to say that it takes mythic strength before you can toss cars around as if they were ninja throwing stars.

Alternatively, consider someone who spends an action on a maneuver "picked up a car" - and then next exchange tags that for enough of a bonus to might to throw it.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
Well, I'm not sure that the aspect "picked up a car" can fairly be tagged for a bonus to Might, though other maneuver might be.  Perhaps "Braced for a mighty throw"?

But that does raise a good point.  You *can* still roll your Might and hope for plus faces, and you *can* still invoke strength-related aspects to encourage success on such rolls.  So, on average, a Hulking, Supernaturally Strong character with 4-5 Might could throw a small car by spending a Fate point on an appropriate aspect (which should always be available in the character's high concept, at least).  And somewhat weaker characters could spend a round or two prepping for the throw by maneuvering appropriate aspects onto themselves to bump the Might roll up a bit.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:07:38 AM »
Re: tossing a car - I'd probably use Might limited by Weapons.  It could be Weapons limited by Might, but I don't consider a car a weapon...at least not a very good one when it comes to throwing. 

Re:  Scion of Hecate - Sponsored Magic seems to fit what you're looking for very well.  You may add Channeling or Evocation to that for some flexibility.  I'd also consider an appropriate Supernatural Sense.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 01:29:43 AM »
I agree with sponsored magic being the go to for this problem.

As for cars as weapons.  What about swinging one around like a melee weapon or crushing someone with it (not dropping it), not using it as a thrown weapon?  Might - 4?