Author Topic: Alternate campaign idea  (Read 11235 times)

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
Alternate campaign idea
« on: June 15, 2006, 01:24:57 PM »
I'm running a Dresden Files game for my group and I thought I would share my idea.

I live near Chicago and am most familiar with that setting, so I wanted to keep my game somewhat local. Although we're near Chicago, I don't want to put myself in a situation where Harry and his immediate crew would be around to interfere.

My solution? Play the game in another time. I chose 1920's Chicago.

1. Jim hasn't said much about the past in his setting. This gives me a lot of freedom to establish a setting of my own while still remaining "true" to the series, assuming nothing significant happens that would change the future (our present).

2. This gives me a gangster element as a backdrop. Sort of like having several Marcones running around. It gives my players the opportunity to play roles in an era that I have never run as a campaign. (I can dust off TSR's Gangbusters RPG for inspiration, plus I have a copy of the 1920's Investigator’s Companion for Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu to assist me.)

3. I assume that major groups such as the White Council, Black Court, White Court, Red Court, Nevernever, etc. would have existed back then as well. Since supernaturals seem to live longer than mortals, it would be possible to use some of those same characters as NPCs, only younger. I also assume that they were plotting and scheming against each other the same as today.

4. It gives me my familiar setting without the hassle of the characters from the books getting in the way. It also means that I don't need to try to stay "current" as Jim writes new books.

Anyway, I thought that others might be interested in my reasoning if they are thinking of setting up their own campaigns. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline rdonoghue

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate campaign idea
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 01:42:04 PM »
Heh.  Sounds awesome.

Conveniently, I got off a recent research jag, as Spirit of the Century, our pulp game, is set in the 20s so at the very least I can suggest a few resources.

The Investigator's Companion is probably the second most useful RPG reference I have on the period, so excellent start.  If you want to pick up something else, the new Pulp Hero is magnificent.  I have no love of the Hero rules system but it's about 2/3rds  setting background and ideas. If you can get the writer's guide to the 1920s, you will have hit the jackpot, but it's a bit hard to find at any reasonable price.

On the web, I figure I'll cut out the middleman: Here's the link to my del.icio.us pulp tag, which has a ton of useful period links.

http://del.icio.us/rdonoghue/pulp

Even if you're not going pulpy, a lot of those links are just history and background, useful to mine for a game.

Anyway, I think this is a great idea.  it's a fun era, and it really lets you make the game your own, so  good luck, and I hope you'll let us know how it goes!

-Rob D.

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
  • Don't mess with my man Harry, dig?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 03:15:25 PM »
Can I come guest in as Frank Lloyd Wright? ;)
Chad Mitchell

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes. Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 06:14:44 PM »
Rob -

Thanks for the input, the resources and the link! I'm looking forward to Spirit of the Century and really hope I can blend it with my '20's Dresden game as soon as it comes out. (My current campaign is mostly based on FATE, so I think the conversion should be quick.)

I was really going back and forth between the '20's and the '30's. The twenties have the whole gangster and prohibition angle, but the thirties are more "Indiana Jones" in feel. The twenties won out because I wanted to avoid the whole WWII/Nazi thing for this campaign (because when I put WWII into a game I want it to be a big influence, not just a backdrop).

I believe that pulp encompasses both decades, so similar resources should be valuable. I'm not familair with Pulp Hero (I just never got into the Hero system) but on your recommendation I'll see if I can find a copy at my local game shop or on e-bay.

What I've worked on so far is:
1. terminology and lingo for the 20's.
2. technology and prices for the 20's.
3. a general overview of the 20's; things like a timeline, notes on society at the time, and so on.

I'm looking forward to this campaign.
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline M T Fierce, h.d.

• Participant
  • burnt out mage stereotype
    • View Profile
Me, too!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 06:43:58 PM »
I'm running a Dresden Files game for my group and I thought I would share my idea.

I'm currently designing a Dresden Files-inspired game based around the Colorado Springs area. (The theory is that one of the so-far unnamed Alphas moved; that's the character my little sister wants to play, and I think my husband will be playing someone who was tempted by a Denarian.)  We're using (for the moment) Stellar Games' "Nightlife" system, and I'm trying to introduce some of the native 'wildlife' and old mining tunnels and the like to the idea.  The War continues.
harbingers will eat you

Offline Darrington

• Conversationalist
  • "The magic nachos will save me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 11:58:13 PM »
Ooh, that sounds positively interesting.  I know I'm not much of a history buff myself, and it'd be some work to place myself in such a time frame, but that would be quite neat to play. :)  Of course, there's just something about modern-day settings that get my attention more than anything lately.  I blame Jim.  If it was done right, though, I'm sure it'd be a blast even for me. ;D

AD
"You can't hate a plant for being green." -In reference to a faerie screwing you over in deals.
"YES YOU CAN!!" -In reference to Wizard Darrington getting screwed over a dozen times too many.

A sword fight with a Red after both of us getting hit by a concussion grenade is not a good plan.

Offline taralon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 01:53:25 AM »
Just as general backgound and such, I thought I'd point you in on another series, which might come in very hand when contemplating the time period.  That being P.N. Elrod's Vampire Files series.  Takes place in Chicago in the 1930s, and has I belive the feel you're looking for for the game overall.  Organized Crime and the fact that the stockyards were a major industry at that point in time...

I live near Chicago and am most familiar with that setting, so I wanted to keep my game somewhat local. Although we're near Chicago, I don't want to put myself in a situation where Harry and his immediate crew would be around to interfere.

My solution? Play the game in another time. I chose 1920's Chicago.

1. Jim hasn't said much about the past in his setting. This gives me a lot of freedom to establish a setting of my own while still remaining "true" to the series, assuming nothing significant happens that would change the future (our present).

2. This gives me a gangster element as a backdrop. Sort of like having several Marcones running around. It gives my players the opportunity to play roles in an era that I have never run as a campaign. (I can dust off TSR's Gangbusters RPG for inspiration, plus I have a copy of the 1920's Investigator’s Companion for Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu to assist me.)

3. I assume that major groups such as the White Council, Black Court, White Court, Red Court, Nevernever, etc. would have existed back then as well. Since supernaturals seem to live longer than mortals, it would be possible to use some of those same characters as NPCs, only younger. I also assume that they were plotting and scheming against each other the same as today.

4. It gives me my familiar setting without the hassle of the characters from the books getting in the way. It also means that I don't need to try to stay "current" as Jim writes new books.

Anyway, I thought that others might be interested in my reasoning if they are thinking of setting up their own campaigns. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 01:43:31 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I've seen copies of those books in the bookstore but they never grabbed my attention enough to buy one. I didn't realize that they take place in 1930's Chicago!

Very nice indeed!  ;D
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 03:07:51 AM »
Here is a twist, why don't you have it where Dion O'Bannon has ties to the Leansidhe(Lea).
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline glmagus

• Participant
  • Wiseass, not just a label, but a way of life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 08:53:42 PM »
Man, that sounds like fun. Mix in some of the Cthulhu horror and you're looking at a great game. The Dresden game I run is set in Florida and two of the three PC's are Miami Vice style cops, I swear I had nothing to do with that part!
"Step back, and let the wizardry commence."

Offline Hawkfu

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 10:06:33 PM »
wow, I love these ideas! The 1920s Chicago is especially cool sounding.

wlg

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 12:18:37 AM »
wow, I love these ideas! The 1920s Chicago is especially cool sounding.

Yeah.  1920's also means you might be able to cross-breed with some of the concepts in the Spirit of the Century game, too.  That'd be wacky.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 03:32:29 AM »
Remember, in the 1920s you could mail order tommy guns from the Sears catalog.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline Nemo

• Conversationalist
  • International Wizard of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 04:26:08 PM »
The '20's are a cool setting, most of my Call of Cthulhu games are based there.  But I'm planning a Dresden inspired game for the Victoriana RPG.  Can't really beat a d6 system for simplicity.  Now all I have to do is round up some players.  I know I can probably rope some people into an email game.
"Harry, even a nerd should know that it's no coincidence when a girl shows up at a man's hotel room.  You know all she really wants is to--" ~ Bob