Author Topic: If someone would like to try and develop some powers!?  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
If someone would like to try and develop some powers!?
« on: November 25, 2011, 11:37:41 AM »
I had an idea for a campaign I would GM for some of my friends. It wouldn't be a DFRPG game so don't worry about the laws but I would use Fate for the system and a few of my friends mentioned that they would like to have some of these powers, but I have some problems in making the powers. And there are people here who are very good at making custom powers and abilities so I thought to ask for some help. :)
Here are the powers:

1. Psychomancy says you can supercharge your brain and thus improve your reaction time and make yourself think faster. So, how would you model this stat wise? It could be just placing an aspect of some kind on yourself but I would like if someone can think of a similar power that gives you some mechanical benefits.

2. A power that enables the user to see a few seconds into the future and thus allowing him to anticipate his opponents moves.

3. A power that enables the user to subtly pull on time in a bubble around them, stretching it and making time pass more slowly around them. This would enable the user to slow down time and get a few moments to prepare himself while his opponents are "slowed" down. I was thinking this could be just a form of Inhuman Speed, slowing everything around him.

4. A power similar to slowing down time, but one that enables the user to push on time in a bubble around him, compressing it and making it pass more quickly around him.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have! :)

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: If someone would like to try and develop some powers!?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 06:01:05 PM »
1 and 3 do seem like tweaked speed powers. 

For 2, I'd make a power letting the character use Lore (or another skill, depending on which is most appropriate for future-visions) to compliment physical defense.

I have no Idea why you would want to do 4, but mechanically, it seems like it would just be skipping every other turn.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 07:21:22 PM »
MAGICAL SELF-ENHANCEMENT [+varies]
Description: Many supernatural abilities can be mimicked through an application of spellcasting. But that requires specialization, of the sort that this power represents.
Musts: A character must possess the Evocation, Channeling, and/or Sponsored Magic powers in order to use this one. Other powers to link this power to are also required.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline, Lore
Effects:
Limited Powers. When you take this power, you must select at least one other supernatural power that you possess. Which powers may be selected with this power is a matter of the GM's discretion. The selected powers are disabled, and the character gets a rebate equal to one-third of the powers' total cost.
Magical Self-Enhancement. This power allows the user to grant themselves access to the selected powers through evocation. Such evocations may be of any element that makes sense, and they may be offensive or defensive. The power required of an evocation that grants powers is equal to the total refresh cost of the granted powers plus the intended duration. The user may extend this effect using the normal rules for the extension of evocation, and they may choose to grant themselves only a few of the selected powers. This also allows them to grant lesser versions of the selected powers. For example, a character who had selected Supernatural Strength and Inhuman Speed with this power may grant themselves Inhuman Strength for 5 exchanges with a 7-shift evocation.
Magical Enhancement [-varies]. This option removes the rebate from Magical Self-Enhancement, making the total cost of the power 0. In exchange, it gives the user the ability to cast power-granting evocations on other characters. Please note that these evocations cannot be zone-wide.

There is a power in OW called A Few Seconds Ahead that does this. But I dislike it, so I recommend using a stunt instead.

Inhuman Speed and maybe Magical Self-Enhancement. A real, D&D-esque, time stop effect has not yet been written for this ruleset, and it wouldn't be easy to change that. The action economy is difficult territory for a homebrewer to operate in.

Not sure what you're asking here.

PS: I think I noticed something about Magical Self-Enhancement that I want to change. Every other Evocation effect in the game has a base duration of 1 exchange, why does it have a base duration of 0? Eh, I'll think about it. It shouldn't break anything either way.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 07:26:22 PM »
Are the powers your working on Alemancy  inspired out of curiosity.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 11:48:37 PM »
Are the powers your working on Alemancy  inspired out of curiosity.

I don't know what Alemancy is? ???
A friend asked me how I would model 3. and 4. and I have no idea what he really wanted with power number 4.
And I just googled alemancy. Do you mean Allomancy? From the Mistborn books? Allomancy sounds quite interesting, as do the books. Will have to check them out :)

MAGICAL SELF-ENHANCEMENT [+varies]
Description: Many supernatural abilities can be mimicked through an application of spellcasting. But that requires specialization, of the sort that this power represents.
Musts: A character must possess the Evocation, Channeling, and/or Sponsored Magic powers in order to use this one. Other powers to link this power to are also required.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline, Lore
Effects:
Limited Powers. When you take this power, you must select at least one other supernatural power that you possess. Which powers may be selected with this power is a matter of the GM's discretion. The selected powers are disabled, and the character gets a rebate equal to one-third of the powers' total cost.
Magical Self-Enhancement. This power allows the user to grant themselves access to the selected powers through evocation. Such evocations may be of any element that makes sense, and they may be offensive or defensive. The power required of an evocation that grants powers is equal to the total refresh cost of the granted powers plus the intended duration. The user may extend this effect using the normal rules for the extension of evocation, and they may choose to grant themselves only a few of the selected powers. This also allows them to grant lesser versions of the selected powers. For example, a character who had selected Supernatural Strength and Inhuman Speed with this power may grant themselves Inhuman Strength for 5 exchanges with a 7-shift evocation.
Magical Enhancement [-varies]. This option removes the rebate from Magical Self-Enhancement, making the total cost of the power 0. In exchange, it gives the user the ability to cast power-granting evocations on other characters. Please note that these evocations cannot be zone-wide.

There is a power in OW called A Few Seconds Ahead that does this. But I dislike it, so I recommend using a stunt instead.

Inhuman Speed and maybe Magical Self-Enhancement. A real, D&D-esque, time stop effect has not yet been written for this ruleset, and it wouldn't be easy to change that. The action economy is difficult territory for a homebrewer to operate in.

Not sure what you're asking here.

PS: I think I noticed something about Magical Self-Enhancement that I want to change. Every other Evocation effect in the game has a base duration of 1 exchange, why does it have a base duration of 0? Eh, I'll think about it. It shouldn't break anything either way.

I also considered Magical Self-Enhancement. I really like that power, it is well done. :)
I just checked A Few Seconds Ahead, I actually didn't notice it before. I'm not sure if I like it or not. Thanks for the help, I think the easiest way to go about 1. and 3. would be with Self-Enhancement or just some speed powers that are a bit modified. And using Lore for defense could work for power number 2.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 03:04:06 PM »
I don't know what Alemancy is? ???

I'd guess a drinking reference.

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 09:17:48 PM »
Alemancy is from the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. Alemancy is a metal based magic that uses the properties of metals produce a variety of effects. Anywhere from controlling emotions, enhancing the body or fling metal about.
Apparently I would much rather post than sleep.

Offline ALurker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 01:06:59 AM »
Alemancy is from the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. Alemancy is a metal based magic that uses the properties of metals produce a variety of effects. Anywhere from controlling emotions, enhancing the body or fling metal about.
It is spelled Allomancy.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 08:30:28 AM »
I googled it and it is a very cool concept. I wonder how it would work in fate!? ???

I'd guess a drinking reference.

;D When you drink ale you get magical powers. That would be fun ;D

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »
I googled it and it is a very cool concept. I wonder how it would work in fate!? ???

Some guys have the power if seeing young ladies in a beautiful light when they have the beer goggles on. My partner always says she's never been to bed with an ugly guy in her life but she's woken up with a few.
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline Quackerjack

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 06:16:23 PM »
Quote from: Howl link=topic=30191.msg1283576#msg1283576 date=1322555428)

[/quote
I think I must buy me some ale :D

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 04:24:21 PM »
Some guys have the power if seeing young ladies in a beautiful light when they have the beer goggles on. My partner always says she's never been to bed with an ugly guy in her life but she's woken up with a few.

Ah yes, the mystical power known as beer googles ;D

One more question: did anyone perhaps create Allomancy as a power using the DFRPG rules? Because I have been reading about it and it sounds awesome. Here is a link where it is described:

COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS!

http://mistborn.wikia.com/wiki/Allomancy

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 10:28:08 PM »
What we need is a Feeding Dependency variant. One that represents needing a specific thing as fuel for a given power.

Tack that power onto various powers and stunts and you've got most of allomancy.

Though a few metals have effects that don't translate well.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 09:14:18 AM »
What we need is a Feeding Dependency variant. One that represents needing a specific thing as fuel for a given power.

Tack that power onto various powers and stunts and you've got most of allomancy.

Though a few metals have effects that don't translate well.

I was thinking among the same lines. Perhaps Allomancy even being "magic" that doesn't deal mental stress but hunger stress, representing the "burning" of metals. :-\

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 09:00:38 PM »
A few of the metals might work as evocation elements, but most of the effects of allomancy have nothing to do with spellcasting as DFRPG defines it.

So unless you want to use Magical Self-Enhancement, that probably won't work.