Author Topic: If someone would like to try and develop some powers!?  (Read 4020 times)

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
Re: If someone would like to try and develop some powers!?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 08:15:24 AM »
A few of the metals might work as evocation elements, but most of the effects of allomancy have nothing to do with spellcasting as DFRPG defines it.

So unless you want to use Magical Self-Enhancement, that probably won't work.

Good point. Then we really need a variant Feeding Dependancy to do Allomancy correctly. ???
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 10:58:45 PM »
Alright, I've got some rough ideas. Tell me how this sounds:

+1 rebate power, modifies a number of other powers.
You can store a number of "charges" equal to three times the total cost of the powers modified.
Using a power for an action costs charges equal to the refresh cost.
Recharging is fairly easy under normal circumstances, but too slow to work during combat and occasionally not possible for whatever reason.
If recharging is not easy under normal circumstances, further +1 rebate.
If you have multiple powers, you can make them require different fuels. This means that you get multiple types of charge, one for each (group of) power(s).  +2 rebate for 3 different fuels and +3 rebate for 8 different fuels. You can still only carry a total number of charges equal to 3x the total cost, so split them up carefully.

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 05:14:59 AM »
It's a nice system but wouldn't it be easier to have an aspect covering your Allomancy? If they are an Allomancer, they would have the necessary metals to fuel their powers and not need any special effort to acquire them. Invoking the aspect would represent "burning" the metal and getting an increased effect and if you "ran out" it would be a compel.

I agree with a rebate similar to Feeding Dependency for the powers.
Apparently I would much rather post than sleep.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 05:32:47 AM »
For #2 another option besides A Few Seconds Ahead might be a modified Sacred Guardian power. I used one for one of my characters in the Boston game.

Foresight [-1]: as a slightly modified Sacred Guardian.
**Combat Clairvoyance. Eli may gain a boost to his attack rolls or defense rolls by inflicting a mental stress hit upon himself, gaining a +1 for each point of stress in the hit. This bonus cannot be greater than the maximum length of his mental stress track.
**Psychic? Definitely. Eli gains a +2 bonus to Alertness when rolling against surprise.

You can look at him more here for his build.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 06:18:25 AM »
Well, you could use aspects to represent the need for fuel.

But by making it into a power you get more granularity and more in-game relevance. If you use an aspect, the need for fuel only matters maybe once a session when you take a compel. If you use a power, it matters constantly.

In my experience, aspects can be used for anything and everything. But there's usually a better way.

(I this case there might not be, though. My proposed power just might be horribly broken. Not sure.)

The modified Sacred Guardian is pretty good. Only problem is, I like Sacred Guardian about as much as I like A Few Seconds Ahead.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 08:56:30 AM »
For #2 another option besides A Few Seconds Ahead might be a modified Sacred Guardian power. I used one for one of my characters in the Boston game.

Foresight [-1]: as a slightly modified Sacred Guardian.
**Combat Clairvoyance. Eli may gain a boost to his attack rolls or defense rolls by inflicting a mental stress hit upon himself, gaining a +1 for each point of stress in the hit. This bonus cannot be greater than the maximum length of his mental stress track.
**Psychic? Definitely. Eli gains a +2 bonus to Alertness when rolling against surprise.

You can look at him more here for his build.

I like Sacred Guardian and this is a great way to modify it to represent Foresight. I like it, thanks for the idea. :)

Alright, I've got some rough ideas. Tell me how this sounds:

+1 rebate power, modifies a number of other powers.
You can store a number of "charges" equal to three times the total cost of the powers modified.
Using a power for an action costs charges equal to the refresh cost.
Recharging is fairly easy under normal circumstances, but too slow to work during combat and occasionally not possible for whatever reason.
If recharging is not easy under normal circumstances, further +1 rebate.
If you have multiple powers, you can make them require different fuels. This means that you get multiple types of charge, one for each (group of) power(s).  +2 rebate for 3 different fuels and +3 rebate for 8 different fuels. You can still only carry a total number of charges equal to 3x the total cost, so split them up carefully.

This looks good. About the rebate for different fuels: does it give an additional +2 bonus or does it just roll up to +2. To explain better: the power has a +1 rebate normally. When you use 3 different fuels does the rebate become +2 or do you get an additional +2 rebate, rolling it up to +3 totally?

I also agree that aspects could be used but this power does represent the need to "refuel" more often. And you can still have the player take Allomancy as an aspect of some kind and then Compel him that he doesn't have any steel with him right now so he cant use his powers to Push metals in this scene. He would still have his other powers and he would get a fate point for the compel.
I would be happy to playtest this power with my group Sancta, and afterwards I can tell you if it is broken. We are playing a different campaign right now and I'm not sure when it will end but afterwards they want to play my campaign. And perhaps this power can be modified further if someone gets any more ideas how to do it better. :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:58:05 AM by Howl »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 08:58:51 PM »
The multiple fuels rebate is supposed to replace the base rebate. So you get +2 total if you have 3 different fuels and +4 total if you have you have 8 different fuels that are not easy to acquire.

I appreciate the playtest greatly. A +4 rebate is the sort of thing that demands testing.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 10:09:29 AM »
The multiple fuels rebate is supposed to replace the base rebate. So you get +2 total if you have 3 different fuels and +4 total if you have you have 8 different fuels that are not easy to acquire.

I appreciate the playtest greatly. A +4 rebate is the sort of thing that demands testing.

I'll let you know how the power works when we playtest it :)