Author Topic: Who would you recruit into the Einherjar?  (Read 3771 times)

Offline beachhead1973

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Who would you recruit into the Einherjar?
« on: November 23, 2011, 02:11:35 AM »
Just what the title says.

Historical characters with your reasoning.

This should be interesting. Go.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Who would you recruit into the Einherjar?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 02:54:23 AM »
Well, not Chuck Norris -- because the only way he could be defeated in battle would be if he fought against himself...

(Sorry!)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 03:23:18 AM »
In seriousness, though, a good place to start might be the following site I found:

http://www.history.army.mil/moh.html

Medal of Valor recipients seem like a likely pool of candidates (or at least, those of whom died in battle, as is commonly the case for Medal of Valor recipients).  Of course, this list would be limited to the last century and a half, and to Americans.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 04:47:01 AM »
Victoria Cross holders

Gurkhas, quite recently this guy http://www.neatorama.com/2011/01/29/40-train-robbers-vs-1-gurkha/
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Kiero

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »
In seriousness, though, a good place to start might be the following site I found:

http://www.history.army.mil/moh.html

Medal of Valor recipients seem like a likely pool of candidates (or at least, those of whom died in battle, as is commonly the case for Medal of Valor recipients).  Of course, this list would be limited to the last century and a half, and to Americans.

What's dubious about the Medal of Honour is that it took a posthumous review of many after action reports to recognise the efforts of non-white soldiers throughout the various wars the US has been in over the last century and a half. There could be lots of others with either lesser awards or ignored altogether who should be up there, but for the colour of their skin.

Offline beachhead1973

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 01:58:44 PM »
I refer you to; www.badassoftheweek.com

also; I propose that once you've earned it, it matters little how you die. Otherwise the reward for surviving the unsurvivable is to NOT go to Valhala, which seems not in the spirit of the thing to me. Your thoughts?

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 04:23:01 PM »
The vast majority of Einherjar are going to be people you've never heard of. They're just brave warriors who've died in battle and were spotted by a Valkyrie. I would imagine that the World Wars alone would potentially have produced thousands and thousands of them.

Offline beachhead1973

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 05:24:49 PM »
raised the serious question of exactly how large the Einherjar has the potential to be...

We know they have quite the Armoury

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 02:29:25 AM »
Well... resident Viking buff to the rescue, I guess...
The Vikings were fatalists... they firmly believed that fate was undeniable, in the grand scheme: not to say there was no free will... it was the broad strokes like when you were going to die that couldn't be changed... so if you were slated to die on the 5th of March next year, you were going to die on the 5th of March whether you spent every day until then jumping out of airplanes without a parachute, or lounging on your couch eating cheetos...
For them, it was an aid to courage- you may as well go into battle, and go for broke being a complete and total badass, cause if you weren't slated to die, nothing could kill you... and if you were, you may as well at least be remembered as a total badass, right?

I'd say that's the big litmus test... because the Einherjar are slated to do the exact same thing again- the battle Odin's saving them up for is a LOSING one... and he knows it, and so do they... but they're on board anyway. I think the Valkyries are interested in any warrior who has the exact kind of courage to dedicate themselves to a losing battle- whatever the reason (be it personal glory or doing what's right). Those who died in the process of pursuing (personal glory or doing what's right or whatever) have already proven themselves dedicated... and those who do so in battle are already proven warriors.

If anything, the losing side in a given battle's likely to have more candidates.... especially in a massacre like Gallipoli or Custer's Last Stand, etc.

Survivors may still stand a chance- after all, it just wasn't their time, and that's no mark against them... but they ARE less likely to be noticed by a valkyrie if they die in a hospital bed... maybe if you made a name for yourself- they might be on the lookout for Medal of Honor winners being hospitalized.

And Odin probably has way way more of them than anyone realizes.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 06:14:10 AM »
That sums it up quite nicely.  The only thing I would add is that according to their beliefs you were supposed to die with weapon in hand.  (I think that is too literal, but it could very well be the truth.)  I figure as long as they die physically fighting, then they're in.

Since we don't know if Ragarok occurred yet in the Dresden Files ( it happened in Marvel like three times....).
(click to show/hide)
That could alter the ranks of the honored dead.  The events of Ragnarok I mean.

Offline martellian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 06:21:55 AM »

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »
Based on how the Vikings behaved, I'd say outlaw bikers would make good recruits.  Many love a good fight.

Richard

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »
All of the guys at the Alamo (William Travis, James Bowie, Davy Crockett etc.) would be a good choice I would think.  As well as the Foreign Legion chaps who fought at Cameron. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Camar%C3%B3n.

The British at Rorke's Drift also seem likely candidates. 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 08:59:56 PM »
Based on how the Vikings behaved, I'd say outlaw bikers would make good recruits.  Many love a good fight.

Richard

There are indeed some norse pagan biker clubs in existence.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 10:25:56 PM »
I didn't mean the pagan ones - most of them are much less violence than the "one percenters".

I'm thinking of outlaw bikers.  The type who enjoy fighting (basically over nothing).  Hell Angels, Outlaws, Bandidos - and their fellow riders.  Their love of fighting and their disregard of external authority are similar to how the Vikings lived.

Richard