Author Topic: I need Some Advise on a Low Power Campaign  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Dravokian

• Participant
    • View Profile
I need Some Advise on a Low Power Campaign
« on: November 12, 2011, 09:01:30 PM »
I'm starting a campaign where all the players are starting at 4 refresh. Pure mortals are 6. All other templates are allowed but at creation no powers may be selected, only stunts. As the game progresses powers start developing after the first major. Any must that are part of your template has to be taken before additional powers... its a little bit of a stretch from the original rules but I think it will be fun to play a group of "in the dark" mortals turning into supernatural heavy weights over time. What I need advise on is what i should use as monsters for such low refresh. At first I plan to throw them mainly against mortals or low level beastys that are veiled so no one can tell they are not human. The idea is the players will eventually begin to deal with things that can't be possible until they work their way "into the know". Anyone have any advise for me on what I should consider throwing them against. Please don't post here if you are going to tell me that the concept can't work due to rules. I am aware of that fact and my players are interested in the concept so we are going with it... I'm mainly looking for advise on how to avoid murdering characters with that low of a refresh... thanks.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: I need Some Advise on a Low Power Campaign
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 09:21:58 PM »
I think your concept will work just fine, in hindsight I wish I had started my 7 refresh to start game at a lower refresh. only one player had read the novels & the rest were unfamiliar with the setting, so when they met their first ghoul with the one not there that day... they were freaking terrified of it hehe >:)

it doesn't matter if the players are point or two off from each other in refresh levels, skills & the skillcap  are the big balancing factor.  I've had someone sit in on a game without even having a character sheet... and he was able to make meaningful contributions with all of his skills at 0 and the occasional declaration or benefit of the doubt stunt type of thing where it was interesting & didn't matter... the guy had a ton of fun & everyone else enjoyed things.

I'd suggest finding out what types of characters that your players want to build (for the non-pure mortals) and just giving them a minor power of some sort from time to time.  if someone wanted to play a werewolf, maybe give them the were-form power or echoes  & just decide how much refresh you want everyone to have spare on a case by case basis.  just be careful about wizards (or anything)in the hands of players who have shown themselves to be problematic powergamer types.  The book outright states that you can build the character during play... and it works really freaking well, but if you have someone trying to abuse it, you need to pull them aside before they do so.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: I need Some Advise on a Low Power Campaign
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 01:55:12 AM »
For monsters and challenges, you'd be amazed what a party can handle when they all work together against a single opponent.  A single fey creature like a goblin can be a suitable challenge for a group of 4+ players at that power level IF they learn how to use tactics, fate points, and maneuvers to their advantage.  Alternatively, pure mortals or minor talents whose powers are not directly combat-related can be good.  A ritualist, for example, who is working on summoning up a demon to terrorize the neighbor hood isn't that much of a combat threat if you catch him before the ritual is complete.