Author Topic: Item of Power: Axe of Slayer  (Read 2232 times)

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
Item of Power: Axe of Slayer
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:25:51 PM »
(Note the lack of "The" in the item name)

Item of Power
Axe of Slayer[-3]
Description:  Every generation there is a girl… That rocks like no other.  For her awaits the Axe of Slayer. This 2-handed Battle-axe is emblazoned with arcane symbols and demonic imagery (Although the demonic images are only painted on, you know, for show) and will assist this special girl in battling evil across the land. Forged in the confluence of awesomeness created in 1981 when a new band, Slayer, played as an opening act for Bitch, covering the Iron Maiden song “Phantom of the Opera” in the Woodstock Club of Los Angeles. A forward-seeing wizard sensed the opportunity to funnel this potential violence and talent into the creation of a Weapon the likes of which have never been seen.
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your possession of this item.
Skills Affected: Weapons
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Forged from Detroit Rock City iron, for maximum aggression and attitude, this axe was made to kill monsters. A Slayer, so to speak.
[-0] It Is What It Is. A Weapon: 3, 2-handed Battle-axe.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+2] One-Time Discount. It's a 2-handed Battle-axe; Try to hide this under a coat. I dare you.
[-1] Marked by Power: Everyone in the know recognizes the wielder of this axe as a A-#1 Badass.
[-1] Wall of Awesome: With the energy output from this baby singing through your veins, you can use the Axe of Slayer to make spray attacks, as if possessing the Wall of Death stunt.
[-1] Let it fly: The Axe of Slayer imparts the Breath Weapon power, represented by the wielder throwing the axe at an enemy up to two zones away (A Weapon: 2 ranged attack). The Axe of Slayer will unerringly return to its owner’s hand.
[-1] Reign in Blood: Once per scene, Upon entering combat, The wielder of the Axe of Slayer may hold her mighty weapon above her head as if in triumph, Allowing a Zone-wide Intimidation Maneuver to attempt to place the “Awe-Stricken” Aspect on all in attendance.
[-2] Inhuman Recovery:  Catch (+1)-Unholy artifacts or desecrated holy ground

(So, Whaddaya think? Oh, for historical Accuracy, Check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slayer#Early_days_.281981.29)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:12:49 AM by computerking »
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Kiero

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Item of Power: Axe of Slayer
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 12:21:24 AM »
Looks cool, barring one things that doesn't really seem to fit: Inhuman Recovery. The Slayer already has it, I'm not sure this axe should grant what would be a redundant Power to the intended wielder.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 12:46:19 AM »
Two nitpicks:

1. Let It Fly is super lame. I wrote a 1 refresh custom power that did everything it does and more and people called it underpowered. Drop the cost to 1 and maybe add a zone of range.

2. The Catch seems like a +1 Catch to me.

Offline PolaroidNinja

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 03:58:31 AM »
Count me surprised! I was expecting to see something like All creatures are equal before God on here - and you sir have thrown me off...

Possibly add the ability to use Performance for a mental attack (as you unleash the power of Rock) or perhaps an emotional block of some kind based on Performance (weeping tears of blood at the sight of something so awe inspiring) and I think we're on to something! :)

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 05:54:23 AM »
Count me surprised! I was expecting to see something like All creatures are equal before God on here - and you sir have thrown me off...

Possibly add the ability to use Performance for a mental attack (as you unleash the power of Rock) or perhaps an emotional block of some kind based on Performance (weeping tears of blood at the sight of something so awe inspiring) and I think we're on to something! :)

Pretty much goes on every custom IoP right?  Like a requisite?  All of them. bar none./rant

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 02:01:29 AM »
@Sanctaphrax OK, +1 Catch makes sense instead of +0. And I'll add that range and lower the cost, though Breath Weapon by itself costs -2. I'm Easy.

@Kiero Here's where the lack of "The" in the item's name comes in. It's not an axe for "The Slayer", it's an Axe imbued with the power and awesomeness of Slayer. The (NCP) wielder I had using it had only The Sight... useful for finding monsters, not so much for defeating them. Inhuman Recovery is helpful if the wielder doesn't already have it.

@PolaroidNinja Actually, That sounds pretty interesting. Let me see what I can do....
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 07:56:54 AM »
(So, Whaddaya think? Oh, for historical Accuracy, Check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slayer#Early_days_.281981.29)

Freaking hilarious is what I think.  I would have given it a catch of Barry Manilow music though.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Kiero

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 10:50:28 AM »
@Kiero Here's where the lack of "The" in the item's name comes in. It's not an axe for "The Slayer", it's an Axe imbued with the power and awesomeness of Slayer. The (NCP) wielder I had using it had only The Sight... useful for finding monsters, not so much for defeating them. Inhuman Recovery is helpful if the wielder doesn't already have it.

In which case either Inhuman Strength or Inhuman Toughness would seem to make more sense to me. It's not about useful so much as thematic. Besides which, Inhuman Recovery is a longer-term power, seems a bit weird that someone would be keeping in contact with the axe to ensure their healing is accelerated.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 01:25:50 AM »
Two comments:

1) "Every generation there is a girl".  "Forged in ... 1981".  Er ... there haven't been too very many generations since 1981, have there?
2) If Breath Weapon is -2 and has a one-zone range, how does a two-zone version of it cost less?  I think I agree that Breath Weapon is on the weak side as a -2 power, but still...
3) Breath weapon includes the ability to set temporary aspects on the scene, so you don't actually need to spend an extra -1 on Reign in Blood (though it might be worth including Reign of Blood [-0] as a guaranteed justification once per scene).  Hm.  Maybe because this was included is part of why Breath Weapon costs -2?

Three comments!  Among my comments are such elements as ... I'll come in again.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 01:56:00 AM »
About 2.

The entire point of Breath Weapon is that you don't need a real weapon. Attaching Breath Weapon to an IoP is totally pointless.

So don't think of that power as a breath weapon variant. Think of it as upgrading the axe by giving it two zones of range. (Sacrificing a point of weapon value when using it at range).

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 02:14:44 AM »
The entire point of Breath Weapon is that you don't need a real weapon. Attaching Breath Weapon to an IoP is totally pointless.

So don't think of that power as a breath weapon variant. Think of it as upgrading the axe by giving it two zones of range. (Sacrificing a point of weapon value when using it at range).
Is there a functional difference?  Both are a Weapon:2 attack with a range of two zones.

Changing the trappings on an existing power or stunt is far more elegant than creating a bunch of mechanically duplicative powers.  Don't need another D&D with ~50 different spells doing roughly the same thing.   ;)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 03:42:47 AM »
Breath Weapon gives range, a weapon rating, and the option to use the Weapons skill.

The axe already has two and a half of those by virtue of being an axe. It stands to reason that adding the other .5 to the axe should cost less than adding all 3 to one's unarmed attacks.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 03:59:27 AM »
1) "Every generation there is a girl".  "Forged in ... 1981".  Er ... there haven't been too very many generations since 1981, have there?

To be fair, there weren't that many girl rockers before that time.  There was Joan Jett's first band (The Runaways) and Heart, but other than those? Lee Aaron wasn't even Metal Queen until 1982.  Worse, girl rockers were often seen as a novelty act...

Or it could be talking about "musical generation" and we've had at least a dozen of those since 1981.  A sound is found, people like it, other people play with it, then a new sound is found... But that would mean that there was a grunge chosen one...

Richard

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 09:36:17 PM »
So don't think of that power as a breath weapon variant. Think of it as upgrading the axe by giving it two zones of range.
I'll buy this.