Author Topic: Breath Weapon uses what Skill now?  (Read 7240 times)

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
Breath Weapon uses what Skill now?
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:19:05 AM »
I know by the RAW Breath weapons use Guns, but honestly using eyebeams and firing a handguns are only similar in a very distant way. I feel like another skill would be more appropriate. Does anyone think it should default to another skill or should it be on a case by case basis?

Also eye beams rule.
Apparently I would much rather post than sleep.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Breath Weapon uses what Skill now?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:37:13 AM »
My copy of Your Story says Breath Weapon uses the WEAPONS skill, not guns.

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:15:41 AM »
Well your copy would be correct because my head was definitely wrong...

Still feels a bit wonky to me.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 12:00:41 PM »
Just think of it as a really loooong weapon.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 12:50:42 PM »
Its best to think of it as a thrown weapon. Most gm I have met think that allowing someone to use fists instead is also ok because of breath weapons high price (for examples such as web throwing etc).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:08:52 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
When you get down to it it's not like people generally learn any sort of skill that would help much with eye beams or breathing fire at people, but creating a whole new skill (and balance issues as a result) doesn't seem worth it for one power.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 04:13:10 PM »
I think with actual breath weapon, the weapons skill is just fine. Using fists would make it an elemental claws power, which one can do, I just don't think it would be fitting the distance part of the power. Discipline would be another option, I guess, but I personally like the distinction between a magic user and an innate power. And like the power itself said, it is best to look at it as a throwing weapon that you created.

If you create an IoP with breath weapon, I'd me more inclined to allow different skills to use the power, depending on the item. I remember 2 items I have proposed somewhere here myself, the one was an amulet with a prehistoric insect trapped in amber, using survival to bring down a swarm of insects to attack. The other one was a glass eye that would use alertness as the attack skill.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 06:33:47 PM »
I would allow you to use it normally with Fists, Weapons, or Guns. Other skills would be allowable with a stunt and an excuse.

Can't imagine why an IoP would grant Breath Weapon. Isn't the whole point of that power not needing a weapon?

Anyway, if you'll allow a little self-promotion, I have a custom power that might interest you:

NATURAL WEAPONRY [-1]
Description: Your body contains some kind of weapon.
Note: You have to pick one type of weapon (eg. fire breath, metal claws, three-foot tusks) when you take this power.
Skills Affected: Fists, Weapons, Guns
Effects:
Natural Weaponry. Your body contains a weapon with a rating of 2. This weapon has a no range, is not capable of spray attacks, benefits from Strength powers, and is wielded with the Fists skill.
Potent Weaponry [-1]. Your natural weapon has a rating of 4.
Defensive Weaponry [-1]. Your natural weapon may be wielded with Weapons and used with the defence trapping of that skill.
Ranged Weaponry [-1]. Your natural weapon has a range of one zone and is capable of spray attacks. It may be wielded with the Fists, Weapons, or Guns skill. It cannot be used with the defence trapping of Weapons.
Long-Range Weaponry [-1]. (Requires Ranged Weaponry) Your natural weapon has a range of three zones.
Area Weaponry [-1]. (Requires Ranged Weaponry) Your natural weapon may be used to make zonewide attacks at a -2 penalty.
Superior Area Weaponry [-1]. (Requires Area Weaponry) You suffer no penalty when making zonewide attacks with your natural weapon.

I've been considering a couple of modifications to that power, but it's quite usable as written.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 06:50:56 PM »
Guh, I would almost ask what the point of all that is. You could take every one of those upgrades for 7 refresh and it's still not as good as taking channeling:fire and merely describing it as the use of fire breath. I guess what I should say is it seems underpowered, but then so does breath weapon.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 06:53:44 PM »
Yeah, I know.

Hence my statement about considering changes.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 07:20:32 PM »
Yeah, I know.

Hence my statement about considering changes.
Part of the issue is simply that the power as written above charges a refresh for capabilities which are free to most weapon or power use.  The defensive part of Defensive Weaponry, the Area Weaponry trapping, and the spray attack portion of Ranged Weaponry are all actions which can be done without paying refresh when using other powers and / or weapons.  Rolling those into the base power and combining / rearranging what's left would make it significantly more reasonable for the cost.  Might still be expensive compared to spellcasting, but what isn't?   ;)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »
Perhaps consider something along these lines?  Rationale:
* I think it's reasonable to allow flexibility on skills chosen, though as is always the case, the group should judge the appropriateness of the choice.  (Ie, I would probably respond with a firm 'No' to the suggestion that Resources would be appropriate, unless the person came up with an absolutely amazing justification.)
* If defined as a melee weapon, it should be allowed to do defensive melee actions for no extra charge.
* Using Evocation as a baseline, 'zonewide' is treated as a two-shift effect.  While I'd be reluctant to make it a baseline capability via a -2 penalty, it is probably reasonable as a -1 power option with no additional penalty.

NATURAL WEAPONRY [-1]
Description: Your body containscan naturally (or supernaturally) generate some kind of weapon or attack.
Note: You have to pick one type of weapon (eg. fire breath, metal claws, three-foot tusks) when you take this power.
Skills Affected: Choose a skill to represent your expertise with this form of attack (skill chosen must be approved by the table); typical examples include: Fists, Weapons, Guns
Effects:
Natural Weaponry. Your body contains a weapon/attack is treated as a melee weapon with a rating of 2. This weapon has a no range, is not capable of spray attacks, does benefits from Strength powers, can be used defensively (if appropriate to its nature), and is wielded with the Fistschosen skill.
Potent Weaponry [-1]. Your natural weapon has a rating of 4.
Defensive Weaponry [-1]. Your natural weapon may be wielded with Weapons and used with the defence trapping of that skill.
Ranged Weaponry [-1]. Your natural weapon has a range of one zone and (if appropriate to its nature) is capable of spray attacks, but can no longer be used defensively.. It may be wielded with the Fists, Weapons, or Guns skill. It cannot be used with the defence trapping of Weapons.
Long-Range Weaponry [-1]. (Requires Ranged Weaponry) Your natural weapon has a range of three zones.
Area Weaponry [-1]. (Requires Ranged Weaponry) Your natural weapon may be used to make zonewide attacks at a -2 no penalty.
Superior Area Weaponry [-1]. (Requires Area Weaponry) You suffer no penalty when making zonewide attacks with your natural weapon.

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 11:21:26 PM »
Guh, I would almost ask what the point of all that is. You could take every one of those upgrades for 7 refresh and it's still not as good as taking channeling:fire and merely describing it as the use of fire breath. I guess what I should say is it seems underpowered, but then so does breath weapon.

Did you ever had to take backslash for attacking with a Laser Blade made from your own mind?
I know you can generally optimze so that you allways make your discipline roll but not all character are made that way. Channeling is still cooler.

The power made by your screams Soulknife by the way. I guess i can still block and maneuver with it right ?
Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 01:02:13 AM »
My thoughts on Natural Weaponry:

-You'll notice that taking every upgrade other than Defensive Weaponry basically gives you a grenade launcher. The entire purpose of this power is to integrate a mundane weapon into your body.

-6 refresh is probably too much to pay for that.

-Defensive Weaponry is good as is. It essentially transplants the entire Fists skill into Weapons. Well worth 1 refresh.

-I originally limited the range of the initial range upgrade to one zone so as to imitate Breath Weapon. But Breath Weapon is widely panned, so I'm reconsidering this.

-In retrospect, Area Weaponry probably shouldn't impose a penalty.

-I'd like to make Area Weaponry available to some melee fighters, particularly swarms. Penalty might be warranted here since you get to avoid hitting yourself. Or maybe I should just make it cost 2.

PS: @CottbusFiles: I do not understand what you are trying to say. Sorry.
PPS: I pretty much hate Becq's rewrite, for a number of reasons. The main one is that it lets you attack and defend unarmed with any combat skill at weapon 2 in its base version, making anyone who takes the base version with Fists into a moron. There are a few other reasons, but they are secondary.

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 07:01:06 AM »
What if the Weapon value of Breath weapon scaled off a skill like Might?