Author Topic: The Man with No Name's Revolver. Item of Power help  (Read 4220 times)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
The Man with No Name's Revolver. Item of Power help
« on: November 10, 2011, 12:51:47 AM »
Working on a Clint Eastwood Character

Item of Power
No Name's Revolver [-3]
Description: The Man with No Name's Revolver.
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your possession of this item.
Skills Affected: Guns
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Forged from the swords of Fallen Angels the Revolver is to be used by its wielder to punish the wicked
[-0] It Is What It Is. A weapon 2 Revolver.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+2] One-Time Discount. It's a big revolver, not easy to hide, oh and its shiny
[-1] Did he fire six shots or only five? ...No need to count how many shots, Revolver never needs to reload
[-3] Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?... Being as it's the most powerfull handgun ever made and could blow your head clean off, When facing an opponent, the wielder may spend a fate point to ignore all of that opponent's defensive powers and mundane armour for a scene.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Man with No Name's Revolver. Item of Power help
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:17:36 AM »
I feel like it should be a weapon 3 and add +1 to Gun roles

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »
I feel like it should be a weapon 3 and add +1 to Gun roles

You could make it weapon 3 no problem.
But +1 to Gun rolls would have to be an additional power.

Oh, and you miscalculated the cost. As it is now it would cost a total of -2, not -3.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 02:36:42 PM »
Bit of a mix there between Harry and TMWNN.  All the powers are named after Harry quotes but the gun's named after TMWNN.

As for weapon 3, nope.  It is what it is means it's a handgun, granted possibly a .50 caliber handgun, and most likely deserves weapon 2 with an outside chance of weapon 1.  Adding to that with powers would be fine but if it's meant to do more damage than what it is it needs to pay for it.  Give it a ranged version of claws or some such?
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:13:56 PM »
As for weapon 3, nope.  It is what it is means it's a handgun, granted possibly a .50 caliber handgun, and most likely deserves weapon 2 with an outside chance of weapon 1.  Adding to that with powers would be fine but if it's meant to do more damage than what it is it needs to pay for it.  Give it a ranged version of claws or some such?

YS:202 "Oversized Pistols (Desert Eagle and company) - Weapon:3"
Considering that it's supposed to be a very special Handgun... so I think it could be weapon:3. Especially if you make it a .50 caliber.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 11:36:13 PM »
YS:202 "Oversized Pistols (Desert Eagle and company) - Weapon:3"
Considering that it's supposed to be a very special Handgun... so I think it could be weapon:3. Especially if you make it a .50 caliber.

Desert Eagle and co pack significantly more punch than the .50 cal handguns from the latter half of the 1800s.  You might be able to barely squeek into weapon 3 but you'd have to be using modern, custom made ammunition. The "very special" comes from it being an Item of Power not from the purely physical aspects, so it needs to be a Power to boost damage.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline PolaroidNinja

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 11:59:43 PM »
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the "spend a fate point and get over the catch" thing should be the property of the swords of the cross?

We should come up with other such abilities for an item of power to have...

[-x] Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?... Your Guns skill is always complements your Intimidate skill as long as you carry this item. In addition, you can spend a fate point to increase the weapon rating of this item by 4 points for an attack against an enemy when you tag or invoke an aspect that you have placed with an Intimidation maneuver.

I dont really know what that would cost but I feel like it is significantly different from the holy swords but still yield a similar result (killing them faster).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 04:42:48 AM »
You know, I don't really understand the desire to keep the Swords mechanically unique. Could someone please explain?

Do You Feel... seems like a -1 power to me. Bit too stuntlike for my tastes though.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 06:17:14 AM »
You know, I don't really understand the desire to keep the Swords mechanically unique. Could someone please explain?
I think it's more 'bored with the repetition' than a desire to keep them unique.  That power seems to get copied on a semi-regular basis. 

@fantazero - I'd give pistols (and knives) a +1 discount while saving the +2 for rifles and swords.  Pistols and knives are fairly easy to conceal.

@PolaroidNinja - Your "Do You Feel Lucky Punk..." is probably overpowered for a -1 stunt (since it adds one to Intimidate in a large percentage of situations) but definitely not powerful enough to be a -2 power.  So probably works as a -1 power.  Personally, I'd prefer a more powerful situational bonus though...a flat bonus simply isn't as interesting.  Perhaps something like "Gain +2 to Threats and +1 to Interrogation attempts when the victim is looking at you behind the barrel of your gun.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 12:11:20 PM »

Well, items that powerful are extremely rare in the books.  Makes them feel special.  If everyone and their dog has a Louisville Slugger with the same powers as the Swords, what's so special about a KotC?  Unique power sets giving unique flavor is the way to go on IoPs.

It's the whole "if everyone is special then nobody is" thing.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 06:23:36 PM »
I guess I can respect that.

Don't agree with it, though.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »
May just be me.  I like campaigns that could fit into Jim's world without altering the flavor of the books for me.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 02:52:39 AM »
I mean, you could play a Dresden game where everyone is a pure mortal, but wheres the fun?

The pistols being melted from swords is just from Preacher.

Anyone care to post what they think would be the Correct stats for the weapon? I'm still kinda lost on that. Also what does True Aim do?

THANKS so much for the help, btw

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 11:42:44 PM »
Plus, Sancto, the way the Swords are talked about and handled in the series it sets up their purpose and power to being "Very Special." There are ONLY three swords and they are forged by, and please please please remember I'm speaking in the idiom of the series, the nails of the Crucifixion. Which was, taken in the context of the culture, THE act of sacrifice that opened up heaven for all of humanity. That's some epic, once in a species ju-ju right there. So if weapons made of the nails of the White God's "only son"'s death, then that sets a benchmark. A high end mark. Can nothing surpass it? Well, no, of course not. But it'd have to be pretty damned impressive to pass it. Is Ferrovax the end all be all of creation? No, but you're hard pressed to find anything that rivals him. And denying "the Catch" to EVERYTHING is a fairly MASSIVE tactical advantage. Now, to be sure, one COULD read it that bypassing the Catch is the top tiered power that the greatest weapons the Powerful Beings give to mortal kind. Like...that's the greatest gift they can bestow, a way for humanity to level the playing field. So there IS that way to go. But even then, given what had to happen to get the relics to makes the swords, one would need something as epically scaled.

And to me, the "Swords of fallen angels," while the baddest assed metal album title I've heard in a while, doesn't sound like the same thing. It's so vague. And depending on who you listen to, those angels fight all the damned time, and there seems to be plenty of them, and they all have swords, and well...the swords are just our brain interpreting their "power" into a framework we get. Hardly seems the same scale of special as the nails of the cross. Maybe if the gun were made of something AS epic and came with the same rules and restrictions as the Swords it'd work. Because the Swords have uite the price. You do what God says. You follow His rules. One misuse could ruin everything.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 11:48:18 PM »
Or to put it mechanically, it's MMO power economics. You don't want something that's that powerful to become so commonplace, because why WOULDN'T you want that? Players have a way of finding ways to pay for what they want. If you're not careful, you end up with a party full of people with epic lightsabers. Sure, it's game justified, and you can roll with it, but then lightsabers just don't seem that special any more.