Author Topic: Drowning?  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Revlid

• Participant
    • View Profile
Drowning?
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:40:07 AM »
The Aquatic power makes you immune to drowning.

Um.

Where are the rules for drowning?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Drowning?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 05:33:44 PM »
I'd likely treat it as a consequential contest using athletics or survival. The whole concept of drowning is kinda boring though. I don't know if I'd use it much.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 05:35:57 PM »
No canonical rules as far as I know. Would probably treat it as an environmental attack against Endurance with an ever-increasing power. Might limit it to inflicting 1 stress at a time if I was feeling nice.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 07:15:01 PM »
Oh yeah, that's a good way to do it too. I guess it would largely depend on context. How is someone drowning? Is it part of a greater conflict where the goal is something else, but not drowning would help that goal? Or is not drowning the goal in it's own right? There are probably other ways to do it too, though I can't think of any off of the top of my head.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 09:27:17 PM »
I think it's just there to fit with aquatic critters since water can provide all sorts of protection/obscurement in a situation setup specifically to take advantage of it if the players don't have something that can take advantage of the water (i.e. electricity).  I'd probably do drowning based on context  of the situation if it ever came up though

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
I'd likely treat it as a consequential contest using athletics or survival. The whole concept of drowning is kinda boring though. I don't know if I'd use it much.

Just drowning is boring, but someone holding you underwater until you drown is the opposite of boring.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 09:55:28 PM »
Just drowning is boring, but someone holding you underwater until you drown is the opposite of boring.
But in that context, you have a potentially interesting conflict to resolve with the dice using some skill relevant to how the victim is trying to escape (athletics, whatever)& what skill the attacker is using to hold them under (might, fists, a spell, whatever) :)

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 01:59:40 AM »
I'd recommend that a character can hold their breath with no problem for a number of rounds equal to their endurance score, +2 more if they have a chance to take a deep breath and be prepared for it (as opposed to being dunked unexpectedly).  Then, have them roll endurance each round against a steadily increasing difficulty (starting from 0 or 1 and going up by 1 or 2 each round depending on how harsh you want to be).  Failed rolls deal stress as if they failed to defend against an attack, and consequences would be flavored appropriately (Mild: Short of Breath, Moderate: Seeing Spots, Severe: Water in my Lungs, for example).

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 05:38:49 AM »
But in that context, you have a potentially interesting conflict to resolve with the dice using some skill relevant to how the victim is trying to escape (athletics, whatever)& what skill the attacker is using to hold them under (might, fists, a spell, whatever) :)
Agreed!

Offline Kiero

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 10:53:24 AM »
It's funny, I could have sworn I'd read rules on drowning in other FATE games (which would then be easy to port to DFRPG), but it turns out I was wrong.

Anyway, I'd go with a fixed number of exchanges equal to Endurance (+1?) before you have to make any checks, then a roll against a fixed, but increasing attack opposed by Endurance every round after that. Perhaps with that increase rate doubling if you're moving around (ie struggling with someone, trying to swim, etc).