Author Topic: Uses of Ectomancy?  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
Uses of Ectomancy?
« on: November 09, 2011, 03:32:13 PM »
I know there was a previous topic along these same lines but it was over a year old and I didn't want to resurrect a dead thread. With Ghost Story we can now see just what Morty is capable of, but how does he do it mechanically? I've made up a character for a PbP post who's specialty is Ectomancy and dealing with Ghost and Spirits. As a Sponsored Magician I wanted him to be able to use Ectomancy at the speed of Evocation for various purposes; summoning ghosts to protect him or to get a piece of information form him or possibly to boost some of his skills (
(click to show/hide)
).
The real question is, what exactly can be done with it? What are the limitations & restrictions?
Say the character wants to summon a Ghostly Protector; how much refresh worth of powers will the Ghost have? If I summon a Spirit that was once a Magician could it still use its magical? How long will it stay? What is the cost (short or long-term) of such a summoning?
Or if I summon a spirit for a piece of information how much will it know?
Or if I use it to boost skills; how much could they be boosted and how long would it last?

My initial thoughts as far as the powers available and duration go would be that it was based the number of shifts out into the summoning. i.e.  a quick summon of 6 Shifts would result in 6 Refresh worth of powers/stunts or possibly skills that might only last for 1 exchange (or possibly scene?), or 4 refresh for 3 exchanges. Longer castings could result in a more powerful spirit but with a Max duration of until Sunup or Sundown (depending on when cast) whereupon they would return to the Never-Never.
Other suggestions/thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline Fenrir423

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Uses of Ectomancy?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 06:25:28 PM »
I interpret the type thaumaturgy (ectomancy, and so forth) to be "you can do anything full thaumaturgy can, but only with this one thing." So summoning a ghost for info? A summoning and binding to take place of a Contacts roll. Ghost protector/possession could probably be some sort of Evocation maneuver if you're trying to do some sort of Sponsored thing. Your "patron" could be the spirit of one of your ancestors or some such.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »
There has been a discussion on this and some ohter things in the DFRPG Spoiler Quarantine Zone. Here is the link:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,27613.0.html

Be warned, it contains spoliers!
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:46:22 PM »
Interesting stuff, though I can't seem to download the random Ghost chart without joining the site, so I'll pass on that.
At any rate, I'm looking at what i can do purely via Thaumaturgy, the character is already written and I don't really have the room for Mimic Ability in any form.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline kenposan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 02:22:35 AM »
Interesting stuff, though I can't seem to download the random Ghost chart without joining the site, so I'll pass on that.
At any rate, I'm looking at what i can do purely via Thaumaturgy, the character is already written and I don't really have the room for Mimic Ability in any form.

you don't need to join to dl, you just need to scroll down to "slow download".........wait.......enter the hideous captcha, and you have it.
Dark magic. It was fun and easy. Like Lego.