Author Topic: How long until a BCV is obviously not alive?  (Read 1414 times)

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
How long until a BCV is obviously not alive?
« on: October 28, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
How long would it be after being turned that a Black Court Vampire could pretend to not be supernatural/dead when having a long in person conversation with some not-clued-in police detectives?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: How long until a BCV is obviously not alive?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 09:43:25 PM »
How long would it be after being turned that a Black Court Vampire could pretend to not be supernatural/dead when having a long in person conversation with some not-clued-in police detectives?

Does the Black Court Vampire have any magical powers? Can it project veils? If so, the answer is forever.

You might want to read the short story "It's my birthday too".  It has more on Black Court Vampires than practically anything else by Jim.

Richard

Richard

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 10:11:24 PM »
Likely as long as it wanted.  Domination + surprised (defend at +0 because they're not clued in enough to know to defend themselves) = the cops see what it tells them they see.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 11:17:31 PM »
Setting aside various mental powers / illusions / whatever, I'd imagine a few days at base.  Up to a couple of weeks could be dealt with via makeup (if the BCV knew what it was doing, or had a dominated makeup artist or two), and it'd get increasingly difficult past that point - but would probably never get to the point where a full team of movie costume artists couldn't render it at least vaguely presentable for a few hours at a time.

Edit: But this depends a lot on your definition of how a BCV decays.  If they work like a normal corpse, a trained policeman might be able to figure out that there was something wrong in a matter of hours.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 01:17:57 AM »
Yeah, absent Domination, the smell might be an issue too.  I don't remember any couple days dead BCV examples to say one way or the other though.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 09:00:29 AM »
In "It's My Birthday Too" Harry says that Drulinda smells but I think she was a year old.

I wonder if it would depend on how hot the weather was?  :P
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 06:50:24 PM »
Probably.  Unless they've been chilling in an industrial freezer, most of the decomp smell is going to be gone in a year and wouldn't have set in for those she turned that evening.  Blood Rites is the only one I can think of with BCVs that were old enough to smell but young enough for it to not have worn off; I can't remember if it was mentioned there.