Author Topic: White Court Fae?  (Read 3381 times)

Offline JStreet

• Participant
    • View Profile
White Court Fae?
« on: October 11, 2011, 07:15:12 PM »
I have a player wanting to be a White Court Changling... Don't think it works but thought i would ask.  She essentially wants to be a White Court Vampire with Wings.   

I was thinking of telling her that she could wait till they "gain a refresh" and do it in game through the use of Magic, And make her for a spell to Permanently Give her wings later.

Any Idea's? She wants to be both Fae and Vampire lol.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: White Court Fae?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »
I think canon has neither confirmed or denied this possibility.

The only real issue I see with it is that she'd be real murky territory as far as the accords go. As long as you're ok with however she chooses to work out her powers.

If she's simply wanting to have the emotional vampire aspect and wings, but doesn't necessarily want white court then you could just make her a changeling. I'm sure there are plenty of fey who fit that description.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:11:38 PM »
I'd say it's fine?  But I can see where someone who really wants to follow canon exactly might be hesitant.

Though there are - as Sinker points out - a number of other options to get a similar power set:

1) "Pure" changeling, as suggested by Sinker.
2) Changeling or WCV, with an item of power granting whichever ability set she doesn't naturally have.  The item can, as usual, come from just about anywhere - a deal with a particular fae; an old family heirloom; something you found at an estate sale...
  2a) A mask would be a good item to grant emotional vampire type powers.  Jewelry in general could work well, too, particularly for the lust variation on WCV.
  2b) Wings could just be wings.  Or a cloak, or dress, or swimsuit, or other relatively obvious bit of clothing.  Or perhaps even something like bracers or bracelets, particularly if the wings replace her arms when active.  Note that if this item is explicitly running on fae power, it might be appropriate to have it also grant, say, glamours.
3) Scion "template", probably of something more akin to the standard demonic succubus type critter.
4) Emissary of Power template.  Exactly what could depend; for an example, a fear based emotional vampire could easily be justified as an emissary of a dragon (or other large and supernaturally scary critter).  A lust vampire would probably fit better under, say, Aphrodite.  (Come to think of it... Aphrodite is married to Hephaestus, isn't she?  Which would make it rather easy to justify mechanical wings as an item of power...)

Also, combinations of the above could work too; for example, a standard lust-based WCV might have gotten herself beholden to some sort of air-elemental Power, ending up with an Emissary of Power template (and wings thereto appertaining).

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 08:15:16 PM »
So she'd be the scion of White Court and fae?  I wouldn't have a problem with that, plus it could provide all manner of backstory connections and trouble for the character.  She gets wings, you get story hooks to bring in vampires and fairies nearly any time you like.  I call that a win-win.

Offline Llayne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:29:36 PM »
Hmm... make her a White Court Virgin Changling. That'd give her the potential to choose her Fae heritage and 'banish' her demon or become a full WCV and loose her Fae powers.

Talk about walking a knife's edge, there'd be no 'safe' choice to become human.

"What kind of moster do you want to be when you grow up little Jenny?"

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 08:37:47 PM »
Meh, the easy way would be to choose one monster or the other, but one could banish both of them by being antithetical to their vampire nature and then choosing human over fey.

Of note I was assuming that the OP meant White court virgin changeling. Seems to me that the White court vampire has already made their choice.

And now I'm having visions of a White court vampire and a fey making a bet for some important plot device on which way their offspring will choose.

Offline Raidensparx

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 04:45:09 AM »
I'd be wary of any player wanting to be both a pretty vampire AND a fae creature.  If only because Myspace is full of them.
DV Raidensparx V1.2 YR4 FR(M)(0) BK++ RP++++ JB TH+ WG+ CL SW+++++ BC+ !MC SH(Murphy++++ Thomas---- Lea---)

Special Code: Murphy Shipping (Kincaid---)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 12:10:36 AM »
My take on the way canon metaphysics work wouldn't allow this.  In both cases (WCV and Fae) one part must be a full 'monster' of the appropriate type and the other parent a human.  The child is born with a Choice, and once the choice is made becomes one or the other, with all vestiges of the non-Chosen lineage permanently lost. 

That said, mechanically I don't see any problem, so long as you take all of the advantages along with the all of the disadvantages of both.  So, for example, the resulting High Concept would have to refer to both lineages, and could be compelled based on either (Fae must speak the truth, for example).  Also, The Catch should be True Emotion, as well as "iron and the like".

Of course, your mileage may vary...

Offline LordDraqo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 12:22:18 AM »
My take would be to create a Changeling whose fey parent was a winged entity that had emotional incitement power (an angel?) and go from there. Hmmmm, I might just do that.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 01:47:28 AM »
Unless I've been grossly misreading things, angels are not remotely fae.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Raidensparx

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 02:13:17 AM »
Angels are servants of the White God, and powerful to the point that Dresden looking at one with his sight would have screwed him up permanently.  And the Fae are terrified of an angel interfering with them.  Not even Mab screws around with them.

Angels are not Fae.
DV Raidensparx V1.2 YR4 FR(M)(0) BK++ RP++++ JB TH+ WG+ CL SW+++++ BC+ !MC SH(Murphy++++ Thomas---- Lea---)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 05:52:36 PM »
My take on the way canon metaphysics work wouldn't allow this.  In both cases (WCV and Fae) one part must be a full 'monster' of the appropriate type and the other parent a human.  The child is born with a Choice, and once the choice is made becomes one or the other, with all vestiges of the non-Chosen lineage permanently lost. 

I would wonder then what you would think would happen if a white court vampire and a fey mated? I don't see any physical reason why they wouldn't conceive (other than the normal ones). What would that child be like?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 07:39:03 PM »
Angels are servants of the White God, and powerful to the point that Dresden looking at one with his sight would have screwed him up permanently.  And the Fae are terrified of an angel interfering with them.  Not even Mab screws around with them.

Angels are not Fae.

Mab is said to, personally, be about on par with one of the Archangels.  And Dresden looking on her with his Sight very nearly DID screw him up permanently.  She only neglects to screw around with them because A) she would have little or nothing to gain from doing so, and B) she's smarter than that.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Raidensparx

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 08:12:59 PM »
Another point to be made, aren't the bodies Fae use in the mortal realm just ectoplasm?  Stuff that disappears after they're done with it?  Unless it was a male fae, a female fae outside the Nevernever likely wouldn't be able to even BE impregnated, much less give birth to anything.

Anyway, I'm getting the feeling that White Court/Fae conception is something we're going to need a WoJ about, since right now we can only make the best of guesses or theories.  And the camp seems pretty soundly split between "not able to conceive", "child couldn't be both", or "child would totally be both."

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »
Another point to be made, aren't the bodies Fae use in the mortal realm just ectoplasm?  Stuff that disappears after they're done with it?  Unless it was a male fae, a female fae outside the Nevernever likely wouldn't be able to even BE impregnated, much less give birth to anything.

Anyway, I'm getting the feeling that White Court/Fae conception is something we're going to need a WoJ about, since right now we can only make the best of guesses or theories.  And the camp seems pretty soundly split between "not able to conceive", "child couldn't be both", or "child would totally be both."

Depends on the fae in question.  Pure spirit beings, ectoplasm.  Gruffs and other physical beings, cells and dna and such.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.