Author Topic: Tactic: Werewolf cannon  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Solborn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Tactic: Werewolf cannon
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:02:45 AM »
when we successfully pulled this tactic off, me and my entire gaming group laughed so hard that i had to share the laughter online

setup
one big bad ogre
one werewolf with inhuman speed, claws, inhuman strength
one wizard with the following:
          +2 item of power
             it is what it is: its a paper-patchwork coat of pockets
             -2 hyperspace arsenal
             -1 secure hyperspace (very important later)
prepwork:
my litte brother has his werewolf jump (maneuver) at my coat at +6 (4 skill, +2 inh speed) athletics I (the wizard) use an 8 shift evocation spell "launch" (maneuver) as he leaps into my coat of holding (affecionate nickname)
since by rules time doesnt pass in hyperspace momemtum is stored when secure hyperspace is taken
cue scene:
                Ogre-boss and his flunkies are facing off against our, at this point very ragtag group. when my turn in the conflict comes about i use a supplemental action to release my little brother's werewolf while also using "lauch" again while he is still in midair.
          total shift modifer to fists: +22
          total result: +29 attack vs 3 athletics dodge
          gm ruling: ogre taken out via having head bit off
My question for you dear readers:
            what do think our intimidation bonus should be when I tell the flunkies left over that I have 19 weregators locked and loaded?

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Tactic: Werewolf cannon
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 09:05:01 AM »
Invoking the maneuver should just give him a +2 i think, not a +16.

Still cool in some way but i wouldn't allow that in my game
Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 10:19:20 AM »
My ruling would go something like this: That's hilarious and I'll let it work this time but don't do it again or I'm going to have to start considering whether fall damage is appropriate a werewolf going Mach 2 into a solid object.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 01:49:20 PM »
My ruling would go something like this: That's hilarious and I'll let it work this time but don't do it again or I'm going to have to start considering whether fall damage is appropriate a werewolf going Mach 2 into a solid object.

In this sort of situation, I usually tell the player something like: "That's fine, but just remember...  If you can do it, so can the bad guys."

That's usually enough to make them rethink using their brilliantly overpowered idea.

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 04:01:44 PM »
Hey, if it can work for them:

Difference is, Wolverine's got that indestructible skeleton and quick-healing factor.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:13:37 PM »
I like it.  It is ingenuity at it's finest.

I'd likely even allow it, in rare cases much like Buzzard said.  Though the shift math (+'s) may be a little off for my games, if it works in yours; more power to all involved.  It sounds fun and it is pretty funny.

The honest; by system boost to intimidation would be +2.... but if I were running the game, I'd just rule they try to run on the off chance you can do that again.

EDIT: It actually reminds me of a mechanic/technician I played in a Star Wars RPG that eventually created an astromech cannon/launcher.  It basically fired R2-D2 sized and shaped projectiles at things.  It too was good for a laugh, but it wasn't nearly as effective 99 times out of 100.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:12:59 PM by Silverblaze »

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 07:16:35 PM »
My favorite for hilarity has always been the high-speed chase plus wall of force, with a smoke screen thrown in for good measure now and then.  Yes, I admit to enjoying the slapstick.  I also eat of the beef, drink of the beer, and have been known to preform acts of inappropriate scratching.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 08:58:59 PM »
Cool, people are using the Hyperspace power.

With sketchy math, but whatever.

I would probably just have the flunkies run away. Call it a Compel, call it a concession, call it good tactics, I don't think normal human thugs (were they normal humans?) are gonna stick around after seeing their ogre boss get one-shotted.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 11:44:52 PM »
My favorite for hilarity has always been the high-speed chase plus wall of force, with a smoke screen thrown in for good measure now and then.  Yes, I admit to enjoying the slapstick.  I also eat of the beef, drink of the beer, and have been known to preform acts of inappropriate scratching.

Sounds like you know how to live then.

Offline LordDraqo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 04:32:07 AM »
To address the OP's question with regard to the Intimidation factor of this particular variant of The Fastball Special, I would use spin generated by the roll as my base, and go from there. Now keep in mind that I'd look at the Ogre's total Stress, plus what he could absorb with his Mild, Medium, Severe and Extreme Consequences, before being Taken Out (2+4+6+8=20, plus 5 Stress to allow for high-end Endurance, though not Inhuman Toughness) would give you a +1 for Spin.

Of course I have had a sniper actually cause sufficient Stress to deal an Extreme Consequence, in one attack.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 05:30:52 AM »
Two points of clarification. In DFRPG Spin is only for defense rolls, and it only ever provides a +/-1.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 05:56:59 AM »
Two points of clarification. In DFRPG Spin is only for defense rolls, and it only ever provides a +/-1.
I think he may be referring to overflow. Which still can't be used for offensive actions.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline LordDraqo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 05:51:08 PM »
Aye. Overflow is what I meant. My error.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 06:10:34 PM »
Ahh, that makes more sense. Overflow can be used from offensive actions, but I guess the intimidation is technically an attack as well. Also it must technically be accidental, which I'm not sure if that counts being that they invoked aspects with the intent to launch an overwhelmingly powerful attack.

Offline LordDraqo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 08:49:41 PM »
I'm still not convinced that this attack is sufficient to Take Out a target in this manner. After all you have Mild, Moderate, Severe and Extreme Consequences, at the very least to overcome with Shifts before you can Take Out the target. And heck he might Concede, leaving you with a lot of left-over shifts to absorb somehow.