Author Topic: The Brewmaster is in.  (Read 89179 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
The Brewmaster is in.
« on: September 19, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »
Those references to Mac's smokey homebrews got your mouth set for something sweet as sin and dark as night?  Want to learn the craft, or just swap recipes?  Here's the place to do.  (Yeah, Story of Us would be the proper place, but hey, beer.  Mac's.  Pub.)

So, post your favorite recipes, questions about brewing, microbrew experiences, etc. And mishaps...  Those can be... educational... to other brewers.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:16:37 PM by Paynesgrey »

Offline OnlyElise

• Posty McPostington
  • Beware the Tiny Dancing Flower Person!
    • View Profile
Re: The Brewmaster is in.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 04:27:34 PM »
Gee, I sure wish my beloved significant other would help me brew a batch of cherry wheat soon.  :-*
She Who Must Be Obeyed. Or at least catered to, occasionally.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 04:48:29 PM »
Bring out the Urchin and we'll check the stock of malt. 

Offline Mandey Moo

• Posty McPostington
  • Accio Darren Criss! <3
    • View Profile
    • Mah Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »
Since fall is just about here, and October is next month, how about a pumpkin ale? I have a recipe but i've yet to try it.
"Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka."

http://mandeyfin.tumblr.com/

Offline OnlyElise

• Posty McPostington
  • Beware the Tiny Dancing Flower Person!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 01:22:56 AM »
ooOOoohh... .pumpkin ale is my FAVORITE, especially during this time of year. I hadn't even considered making that....
She Who Must Be Obeyed. Or at least catered to, occasionally.

Offline Electric MacButters

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 01:39:25 AM »
My reccomendation on pumpkin ale: go easy on the allspice.  Don't be afraid to taste the pumpkin.  I don't know if my tastebuds are wierd, but it seems like every pumpkin beer I have ever tasted, be it macro or micro brewed, tastes like someone poured an entire bottle of that dang spice into the batch and called it good.

The beer I'm pining for is my last batch of Nut Brown Ale.  We made it on a whim in June and it was quite enjoyable until it went skunky.  Although a this date an Oatmeal Stout would finish fermenting just in time for the tail end of Fall...
Okay, I flipped the breaker, pulled the fuses, and blew up the transformer.

Why are my lights still on?
Henceforth, therefore, to be known as Electric MacButters?
Chairman of the Amanda Beckett Society

Offline DominicJ

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:55:11 AM »
I'm awaiting Amazons painfully slow Super Saver delivery to deliver my first two home brewing books, starting wine, and 130 wine receipes both by CJJ Berry.

Birthday is 14th of Novemeber, so will be buying kit then, and will, with a bit of luck, be getting smashed on christmas day on my own produce.  Unless we go to my girlfriends families house, in which case I'll probably have to get really drunk.

Maybe I'll upgrade to all grain for next year, but its a bit expensive for me at the moment really, bills keep getting in the way.
And here I thought Alera was self-plugging.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 11:12:17 AM »
Wine usually takes quite a bit longer than beer to ferment, and it also requires at least a few months to settle and age a little.  So you might want to make some ale for christmas.  Wheras beer is beer in a week, and needs a few days after bottling to get a decent head.  A few weeks aging is nice, but none of mine's ever lasted that long I'm afraid...

Offline DominicJ

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 11:35:54 AM »
Sorry it was just me being opaque as usual.

Wine books are on order, equipment for beer and wine will be bought 6 weeks before christmas, which is a reasonable amount of time for a couple of brews, one matured 5 weeks in the bottle, another 4 weeks, ect.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 12:49:45 PM »
Sorry it was just me being opaque as usual.

Wine books are on order, equipment for beer and wine will be bought 6 weeks before christmas, which is a reasonable amount of time for a couple of brews, one matured 5 weeks in the bottle, another 4 weeks, ect.

Ah, I thought you were going to hope to have some wine ready for Christmas.  But ales?  4 or 5 weeks is plenty of time for them to hit their prime. 

Offline DominicJ

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 12:54:12 PM »
Theres a christmas ale called "Doner and Blitzed" thats catching my eye at the moment as a starter.
I think time depends on the specific kit, some are still improving afte rthree months apparently.

I wonder if my G/F has realised why I want to clear the small bedroom this weekend.....
Books just arrived, two amazon packages today, no idea why they sent one order in 4 boxes.

Offline Djoru

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 08:57:09 PM »
My reccomendation on pumpkin ale: go easy on the allspice.  Don't be afraid to taste the pumpkin.  I don't know if my tastebuds are wierd, but it seems like every pumpkin beer I have ever tasted, be it macro or micro brewed, tastes like someone poured an entire bottle of that dang spice into the batch and called it good.

The beer I'm pining for is my last batch of Nut Brown Ale.  We made it on a whim in June and it was quite enjoyable until it went skunky.  Although a this date an Oatmeal Stout would finish fermenting just in time for the tail end of Fall...

I wholeheartedly agree. Last year's Oktoberfest here showcased more than a few pumpkin ales but only one of them had no allspice and it was my favorite beer of the entire fest. This year's fest is almost upon us. I can't wait.

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 04:07:35 AM »
I suppose this is as good of a place as any to tell this story...

Jail House Hooch

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I had to do a little jail time this summer.  I was classified as minimum security (I know, I get no respect), so they put me in a dorm.  I thought dorms were supposed to be fun.  Anyway, it was a 12'x25' room packed with 8 men, and there we spent 23 hours a day.  One of my "roommates" jokingly referred to himself as the "hoochmaster".  They split up the dorm he was in previously, because they were caught.  I guess he was the guy who knew how to do it the right way, and he was put in our dorm.

We were given 2 4oz cups of juice every day.  It varied between grape, orange, fruit punch, lemonade, and whatever.  Everyone involved saved their juices for about two weeks.  We were given two packets of sugar every morning for our coffee, and we could buy sugar through the commissary once a week.  They saved and bought sugar to add to the juice.  That's what heightens the alcohol content.  For the yeast, they saved up the bread from their bologna sandwiches.  Who knew that would work?

They scammed an extra trash bag off of one of the COs, and added the juice.  The bread was added little by little, and the sugar was mixed in little by little as well.  The bag was tied off.  It didn't take to long for the yeast to start doing it job (converting sugar into alcohol).  When that happens, you get gas as a byproduct.  They had to periodically "burp" the bad.  This had to be done strategically, because when you release that gas, the whole room smells like a mixture of feet and wine for about an hour. 

Since the idea is to get the concoction in your belly as soon as possible (and for the hooch to be as strong as possible), they incubated or "cooked" the hooch through the simple expedient of leaving it under the running shower for an hour at a time.  Rinse and repeat for about 10 days. 

I was just an observer.  After smelling that swill for as long as I had, you couldn't pay me to drink it.  It was split between three of the guys.  According to them, it went down great, and it got them buzzin'. 

It was just really cool watching the process.  I had never brewed my own anything, but I was familiar with the fact that it is important to safeguard against foreign bacteria.  The wrong bacteria can ruin a batch.  According to the hoochmaster, they got lucky.  He says that only about one batch in 5 is drinkable. 

Glad I could share one of the things I learned  8)
Don is the Prince of Anarchy  :P

Please excuse my grammar, and speling.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 07:00:07 AM »
That is very interesting Don.
I had no idea it could been done like that! :o
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Maveric

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 03:21:45 AM »
Great story Don.  Did they say if they came upon this themselves or if it was passed on from others?