Author Topic: Uncle Hugo's Bookstore in Minneapolis Destroyed in Fire  (Read 7828 times)

Offline NorthernDragon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Uncle Hugo's Bookstore in Minneapolis Destroyed in Fire
« on: May 31, 2020, 03:40:35 AM »
I want you all to know that Uncle Hugo's in Minneapolis, the oldest and one of the largest science fiction bookstores in America, and Uncle Edgar's Mystery Bookstore, were both destroyed by fire early this morning.

From the owner via Facebook:

Friends - your love and support are overwhelming. We have received comments from all over the world. Right now, there is a ton of work to be done before we can even think about rebuilding - it will happen - but the legalities and insurance need to be dealt with first. We hope to move forward at the same location.

To be clear - there is NO sanctioned fundraising at this time. There is much to be done first. There's also nowhere to store books, so hang on to your funds, hang on to your books, and keep watching this space for updates. They may not be often, but when we get the go ahead, it will be pushed from here. Please DO NOT send any money to us at this time - we're not ready yet.

For those that have asked/been worried - we are all safe, and Ecko misses you! As we all do.

Thank you again for your love and support - right now, it means the world to us.

Also know that Facebook is not monitored by Don - so if you need to reach him, please send an email to unclehugo@aol.com. I do pass things on to him, but I also don't check in daily. (Yes, 'tis I - your intrepid reporter/mystery reviewer Mary.)

I'll keep this community updated.

The NorthernDragon

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Uncle Hugo's Bookstore in Minneapolis Destroyed in Fire
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 12:08:24 PM »
Regarding replies:

This is to be kept non-political; this is outreach for a friend in need. 

Thank you.
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Uncle Hugo's Bookstore in Minneapolis Destroyed in Fire
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 11:22:39 PM »
As I live many, many countries away of this, I don't know the store, but I do know that a destroyed bookstore is one of the saddest things I can imagine. My solidarity with the owners and good wishes for a reopening.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)