Author Topic: Evocation vs Channeling and Thaumaturgy vs Ritual  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Evocation vs Channeling and Thaumaturgy vs Ritual
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 04:21:32 AM »
Well, let's say a Fae uses the Catch of Iron at +3, but splits the bonus across Inhuman Toughness and Inhuman Recovery, for a total of -1 refresh?  Does that seem more reasonable than Supernatural Toughness?

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 04:26:14 AM »
Exactly what I was going to bring up.  I have players that have done exactly that, though not as fae and not with iron.  They had other powers they wanted so the six point toughness wasn't an option and the combination of toughness and recovery appealed to them more than a bump up to Supernatural.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 04:33:48 AM »
I still consider it a design flaw.

I really like the houserule where the expected likelihood of The Catch being relevant determines the rebate provided.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 05:39:06 AM »
All catches are equally relevant.  How often they're actually put into play depends on how much of an evil bastich the GM is.  Personally, I don't care if a character's catch is Meteor Strikes.  If I need them to take a beating they can't instantly recover from for the story, they're going to.  If it's interesting to the story but not essential, I'll let them enjoy their powers for the most part and occasionally throw them a curve ball to keep them honest.  If it doesn't really matter to the story, it doesn't really matter.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 11:52:55 AM »
I still consider it a design flaw.

I really like the houserule where the expected likelihood of The Catch being relevant determines the rebate provided.
I agree, but approach from a different direction... if it has a high rebate, that's the player telling me it's common and should come up often. It's not unreasonable to unclude a lot of iron in your game, and I'm just doing what the player wanted me to.  ;D

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 11:55:42 AM »
All catches are equally relevant.  How often they're actually put into play depends on how much of an evil bastich the GM is.  Personally, I don't care if a character's catch is Meteor Strikes.  If I need them to take a beating they can't instantly recover from for the story, they're going to.  If it's interesting to the story but not essential, I'll let them enjoy their powers for the most part and occasionally throw them a curve ball to keep them honest.  If it doesn't really matter to the story, it doesn't really matter.

I use their catch as a guideline.  If the catch is a +0 or +1, then it won't come up often.  If it's higher, the can expect to see it with some regularity.  If it's 4 or more, they can expect a lot of attacks to include it.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 05:44:34 PM »
Interesting... Would you allow someone not to take the full value of his toughness? For example, Fae have have iron as their catch.  If a Fae linked PC had 2 points of toughness then the catch would only be worth one point while if another PC had 4 points of toughness it would be worth 3 points.  Would the two of them face different levels of iron use, or would the person with 4 points of toughness be allowed to treat iron as a 1 point catch (so he would pay 3 points for his power) and encounter it as rarely as the other PC?

To get back on topic, the difference between a 2 point power (Channeling, Ritual) and a 3 point power (Evocation, Thaumaturgy) is usually much greater than the benefits you get from a 1 point power.  The power growth seems almost geometric, or closer to geometric than linear.

Richar

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 07:12:03 PM »
If I had two fae (or even two anything with identical catches) in my game at the same time, I'd probably split the difference, and slide the occasional fate point in the direction of whichever player suffered more as a result.