Author Topic: Things you may stumble opon in the Nevernever  (Read 5728 times)

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Things you may stumble opon in the Nevernever
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »
some things you're speaking of remind me of the webmage-series by kelly mccullough.

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 05:18:09 AM »
Locations/scenes straight out of Andrew Langs "<color> Book of Fairy" series:

“It grew in the midst of a wonderful garden, all the paths of which were strewn with pearls as big as peas. The roses were crimson diamonds, with emerald leaves. The pomegranates were garnets, the marigolds topazes, the daffodils yellow diamonds, the violets sapphires, the corn-flowers turquoises, the tulips amethysts, opals and diamonds, so that the garden borders blazed like the sun. The Golden Branch itself had become as tall as a forest tree, and sparkled with ruby cherries to its topmost twig.”     From “The Golden Branch ” in The Red Fairy Book by Andrew Lang.

“These good people had a little window at the back of their house, which looked into the most lovely garden, full of all manner of beautiful flowers and vegetables; but the garden was surrounded by a high wall, and no one dared to enter it, for it belonged to a witch of great power, who was feared by the whole world. One day the woman stood at the window overlooking the garden, and saw there a bed full of the finest rampion: the leaves looked so fresh and green that she longed to eat them.”     From “Rapunzel in The Red Fairy Book by Andrew Lang.

“She told him that her brother Norka was then at her youngest sister's. So he went on to the youngest sister, who lived in a golden palace. She told him that her brother was at that time asleep on the blue sea, and she gave him a sword of steel and a draught of the Water of Strength, and she told him to cut off her brother's head at a single stroke. And when he had heard these things, he went his way.”    From “The Norka” in The Red Fairy Book by Andrew Lang.

“`But how did you get across the fiery river?'
`Why, I've a handkerchief of this kind--when I wave it thrice on the right hand, there springs up a very lofty bridge, and the fire cannot reach it.' ... When he came to that river he waved the handkerchief three times on the right hand, and suddenly, springing goodness knows whence, there hung across the river, high in the air, a splendid bridge. The Prince rode across the bridge and waved the handkerchief twice only on the left hand; there remained across the river a thin, ever so thin a bridge!”     From “The Death of Koshchei the Deathless” in The Red Fairy Book by Andrew Lang.

“After climbing higher and higher, till he grew afraid to look down for fear he should be giddy, Jack at last reached the top of the Beanstalk, and found himself in a beautiful country, finely wooded, with beautiful meadows covered with sheep. A crystal stream ran through the pastures; not far from the place where he had got off the Beanstalk stood a fine, strong castle.
Jack wondered very much that he had never heard of or seen this castle before; but when he reflected on the subject, he saw that it was as much separated from the village by the perpendicular rock on which it stood as if it were in another land.”     From “Jack and the Beanstalk” in The Red Fairy Book by Andrew Lang.

“`That beast which thou wishest to overcome is my brother. He is staying just now with my second sister, who lives not far from here in a silver palace. I bound up three of the wounds which thou didst give him.' ”    From “The Norka” in The Red Fairy Book by Andrew Lang.

"He rubbed his watch and wished for a carriage ornamented with gold and silver, and drawn by six horses, with harness glittering with precious stones. The father did not dare to sit in this gorgeous coach, but went to the palace on foot. The King and his daughter were immensely surprised with the beauty of the carriage, and mounted the steps at once to go to Jenik's banquet.”   From “The Enchanted Watch” in The Green Fairy Book by Andrew Lang.

“When Jenik heard the wheels of the carriage, he rubbed his watch and wished for a still more beautiful house, four stories high, and hung with gold, silver, and damask; filled with wonderful tables, covered with dishes such as no king had ever eaten before. … and left Jenik with his wife in the enchanted house.”      From “The Enchanted Watch” in The Green Fairy Book by Andrew Lang.

“One lovely summer evening, as they sat together on a shady lawn shaped like a star, from which radiated twelve splendid avenues of trees”)     From “Rosanella” in The Green Fairy Book by Andrew Lang.

“The Prince thought they had better find their way to the Fairy of the Beech-Woods and put themselves once more under her protection, and they had hardly agreed upon this course when two little chariots wreathed with jasmine and honeysuckle suddenly appeared, and, stepping into them, they were whirled away to the Leafy Palace.”   <<more enchanted chariots …>>)     From “Prince Featherhead and the Princess Celandine” in The Green Fairy Book by Andrew Lang.

Me again.
For anyone interested in creating diverse areas in the Nevernever I can not recommend the Andrew Lang <color> Book of Fairy series strongly enough.  It has creatures, locations, descriptions, names & titles, and so forth galore and all the books can be downloaded for free from Project Gutenberg.

Good luck and happy hunting!
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline Rephath

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 11:02:25 AM »
One of the fun things about the Nevernever to me is that it's not always direct confrontation. I like to have the bad guys come up and chat, try to smooth talk the good guys into doing something stupid. Or be honestly trying to help our heroes. With that in mind...

LORD HUNTSMAN

The party comes upon the Lord Huntsman, wildfae. He rides a white stallion with supernatural speed and a few other perks. Stat the Lord Huntsman out as a powerful fae, at least 50% stronger than any given party member. Give him survival, weapons, investigation, athletics, stealth, at +3 or higher. He also has a pack of wolves that are comparatively weak in regards to the party, and he has as many of them as there are party members, give or take. Echoes of the beast, inhuman speed, and normal wolf abilities. The Lord Huntsman is pursuing something, say the white stag. He also pursues other things, say women. Turning the sight on him reveals his hunter's nature, turning it on his wolves reveals they are all mortal women he has seduced and turned into beasts to hunt alongside him. These women chose to follow him, but how much they were manipulated into doing so is up to you.

FAIRY OF DREAMS

The fairy of dreams specializes in sleep, dreams, fortune-telling, and hallucination. Sponsor magic. She can either be Summer or Winter but is likely too organized for Wild. Upon seeing the party, she'll invite them in to her house, show great hospitality, and not try to trick them into eating fairy food. She will offer them rest. She'll claim that her powers allow her to put someone into a brief rest and that they awaken shortly refreshed and stronger than before. If pressed for an amount of time, she'll talk about how time is more of a suggestion in the Nevernever and that as an immortal she really doesn't understand it the way humans do. She will under no circumstances admit that those under her power will awaken centuries later. Nor will she point out that she has access to some of the power of anyone she puts to sleep. The dream fairy is at least twice as powerful as any PC and can enter and leave the dreams of anyone she has under her control. Her magics can cause illusions, hallucinations, and she prefers to inflict mental rather than physical damage. Lots of magical and social skills. Her home may or may not already have people she has under her spell in it. She can also use dreams to give people visions of the past, present, or future. If she's Summer, these visions are true. If Winter, they may be true or false but always serve her purposes.

THE GUN FAIRY

Haven't worked out who this is or what she does, but I've wanted to include her in a game for a while.

LADY OF THE LAKE

You'll probably want to call her something else in your game, but this fairy owns a lake. She wears a dress made entirely of water. Her specialty is control over water, and she can make its surface become solid enough to walk on, or a swirling vortex that drowns swimmers. That walkable surface can be turned fluid again so someone falls into it. If they dive under, she can turn it solid and make it nearly impossible to break through. The water of her lake has magical properties that make it ideal for use in potions or ritual magic. Likely, there's an island in the middle of the lake with something important on it. The Lady of the Lake, like most of these encounters, is friendly at first, but with a hidden agenda. Usually that agenda is drowning humans or protecting her island. She cannot go far beyond the water, and neither can her power.

THE LOST FOREST

This is a classic fairy bit. The party is wandering through a path in a forest. Little do they know that whoever owns the forest can reshape the path at will, as well as the rest of the forest. Should they leave the path, they are hopelessly lost. But the path will always lead where the owner of the forest wants them to go. I sometimes say dryads are in control of the forest, and that they can possess trees to turn them into something like stationary ents or that tree from Harry Potter. Dryads have a lot of nature-related magic. They will allow anyone into their forest, and will be bargained with to allow players out again. They respond violently to anything destroying the forest.

THE INTERNET

Fairies don't understand technology. A fairy may want our heroes to look some information up for her on the internet, for best effectiveness make it some seemingly random and trivial facts. But she can't remember the word internet. She describes it as humans' attempts to recreate the Nevernever with ferromancy. The place is connected by similarity, not geography. Women use their beauty to entice men. Cats have bad grammar. Trolls make stupid arguments. Continue until the party realizes what she's talking about.

TROLLBALL

A band of wandering trolls much stronger than our heroes "encourage" them to join in a game of trollball. If the party refuses the trolls say they're fine with that decision, they could use a good meal. Make sure you point out that these are some of Mab's elite warriors. The rules of trollball are not listed here, but assume it involves lots of violence and no referees. Possibly, it's really just Calvinball. Or, alternatively, trollball isn't so much a sport as it is a way to have fun at some mortals' expense. I recommend having one of the trolls explain the rules in a way that leaves the players completely confused. The troll gives up and has another troll explain it, who then gives an entirely different explanation.

Offline Quasispike

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 01:12:57 PM »
Thanks for that Rephath, I shall be adapting the Huntsman for my next session, the PCs are headed to the sunken city of Cantre’r Gwaelod to deliver a package and I wanted a couple of scenes to highlight the oddness of the NeverNever, an encounter with an aquatic version of the Huntsman will do rather nicely as he and his sharks hunt the great white whale.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 02:55:44 PM »
THE INTERNET

Fairies don't understand technology. A fairy may want our heroes to look some information up for her on the internet, for best effectiveness make it some seemingly random and trivial facts. But she can't remember the word internet. She describes it as humans' attempts to recreate the Nevernever with ferromancy. The place is connected by similarity, not geography. Women use their beauty to entice men. Cats have bad grammar. Trolls make stupid arguments. Continue until the party realizes what she's talking about.

This is FTW.  And so is Trollball.

Offline Rephath

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 03:47:39 AM »
When I had the Lord Huntsman in my game, I did him like a cross between Captain Hammer from Dr. Horrible and Gaston from Beauty and the Beast. He decided he wanted to win the heart of one of my female NPC's. Great fun was had.

Admiral, what would the Nevernever be without a little WTF from time to time? I'm working on an entry in the DF wiki for ogreball, with some updates from trollball. It's looking like equal parts football (American and European), capture the flag, gang warfare, Calvinball, and beer pong.

Offline Rephath

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 06:55:51 AM »
Okay. Finalized rules for ogreball. Click here.

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »
Very nice Rephath.  I will most definately use this in a future game.  It's classic!

Offline Imp

• Conversationalist
  • Global Thermonuclear War
    • View Profile
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 06:36:21 PM »
Best advise my charater gives to anyone going into the nevernever for the first time

"The Sidhe are only one of the many races that live in the nevernever.  You run into king arthur or anyone claming to be him, do not harm him, do not tell him the world needs him, do not join his round table.  Do not eat anything, do not pull anything from anything and do not marry anything"

stole it from Pete wisdom but so fitting
Imp's Corner

Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream-Lewis Carroll

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 07:34:59 PM »
Okay. Finalized rules for ogreball. Click here.
Reminds me of a more organized version of Vampire: The Masquerade's "Sabbat Football", where the Sabbat challenge some random humans to a football game, and proceed to smash them to paste on the first play. They leave a few survivors, of course, as this is one of  their attempts to break the Masquerade.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline MegaPuff75

• Conversationalist
  • You say "vindictive jerk" like it's a bad thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 05:23:41 AM »
How about a living M.C. Escher drawing.
DV MegaPuff75 v1.2 YR6 FR0.3 BK++ RP++ !JB TH++ WG CL SW BC+ MC----
http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?54:70:18:23:5:6:22:26:19:27:9:37:16:41:18:28:5:5:
Quantum Physics: proof the universe was built by the lowest bidder

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »
How about a living M.C. Escher drawing.
Next tableau over is a living Geiger artwork....
And then Heironimous Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights...
And then a practice battle between people wearing sewn into versions of Lady Gaga's more outlandish costumes.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 06:00:06 PM »
Next tableau over is a living Geiger artwork....
And then Heironimous Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights...
And then a practice battle between people wearing sewn into versions of Lady Gaga's more outlandish costumes.

I think you may have accidentally found hell.

That, or WinterCon. Nothing like sidhe cosplay.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:01:37 PM by ARedthorn »

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Things you may stumble upon in the Nevernever
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 03:38:13 AM »
Locations (er that didn't save right)

an island composed of ruins sticking up out of the ocean, It's unclear whether the buildings are tumbling into the water because the wave action or because new ruins are sprouting up growing where there isn't room for them. connects to earth at a beach where a kid with ADD continuously half-builds sand castles too close to the water.

an abandoned industrial factory with hulking rusted equipment, giant gears, and dead steam engines located on a giant mud flat completely obscured by fog; something large and hungry stalks through the fog. Connects to an out of business hummer dealership

a four walled castle surrounding a central courtyard. however, entering from each respective side of the castle takes you to a completely different central space so four courtyards simultaneously occupy the same space apparently without actually intersecting. every hallway within the castle behaves like the one in scooby-doo chase montages. any player commenting that now we're playing with portals is whacked over the head with a rolled up newspaper by the environment.

(reading from a lone sign) this section of the omniverse occupied entirely by shrimp. Please turn around. (Bonus points if anyone gets the buffy reference.) connects to a captain D's

A china shop run by a minotaur. It had to be there somewhere

Critters

skateboarding rattlesnakes. you don't actually see them until a small group comes out of nowhere doing sweet jumps and grinding rails while flicking their tongues at you. they then land and roll off, rounding the next street corner. Cause they're EXTREME!

Jackalopes, hoop snakes, snipes, and drop bears. Definitely drop bears

turtles with beetle shells, the back cracks open and they fly off buzzing and bumping into things. It's worst during mating season.

these giant mushrooms appear to be made of chrome or hematite. also they have the hiccups.

someone has taught this goat to sing- all it knows is Miley Cyrus.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:22:34 AM by hank the ancient »

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 01:25:10 AM »
A place where the dumbest people do the most talking- no, wait, that's just the high school social scene.